Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

Post by toho_guy01 »

I think this movie is a bit overrated. I mean, yeah! It is a good movie! But best in the series.....Naw just...Naw. It is ONE OF The best for me, not THE best. Anyone mind telling me why this is THE Best film out of the whole series?
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Kubo wrote:Saw the American dub recently.
There's only 58 minutes of Japanese footage and very little of that is (rather crudely) dubbed. The 96 minute version of the film has also been distributed in North America for a decade.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Maybe it is time I shell out for at least a region free Return of Godzilla but darn it i was 1985 on DVD too! That way better sea louse attack!

I haven't read through the whole thread but I never considered that Godzilla was not made stronger by the atomic bomb, merely survived it. Due to having grown up on King of the Monsters then seeing King Ghidorah in middle school. So what about Godzilla's breathe weapon? Often called atomic breathe, is that a misnomer or did he naturally have that?

Jeff Nesteruk
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff Nesteruk »

This is my most favorite film of all, and my most favorite Godzilla movie. I've seen the movie twice, but I don't remember a scene where a girl was crying over her dead mother as some people said before in some pages.
[quote="Smuggers"]Yeah, I can't wait for GOゴジラLA to come out.[/quote]

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Jeff Nesteruk wrote:This is my most favorite film of all, and my most favorite Godzilla movie. I've seen the movie twice, but I don't remember a scene where a girl was crying over her dead mother as some people said before in some pages.
It's near the end, during the sequence in the hospital after Godzilla's attack. The crying girl is the one Emiko picks up and tries to comfort right before Ogata arrives.

The US version cuts that part up, keeping the shot where she's sitting blank-faced by her mother's body as they take her away, but changing the part where Emiko kneels to pick her up to make it look like she's kneeling beside Steve Martin. If I recall, the US version cuts the part of the girl actually crying out entirely (but keeps the audio).

Jeff Nesteruk
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff Nesteruk »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Jeff Nesteruk wrote:This is my most favorite film of all, and my most favorite Godzilla movie. I've seen the movie twice, but I don't remember a scene where a girl was crying over her dead mother as some people said before in some pages.
It's near the end, during the sequence in the hospital after Godzilla's attack. The crying girl is the one Emiko picks up and tries to comfort right before Ogata arrives.

The US version cuts that part up, keeping the shot where she's sitting blank-faced by her mother's body as they take her away, but changing the part where Emiko kneels to pick her up to make it look like she's kneeling beside Steve Martin. If I recall, the US version cuts the part of the girl actually crying out entirely (but keeps the audio).
I don't remember that scene either, but last time I saw the movie was on Godzilla's anniversary, so of course I would forget some scenes.
[quote="Smuggers"]Yeah, I can't wait for GOゴジラLA to come out.[/quote]

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I wish the alternate title for this film was Godzilla: King Of The Monsters vs. Dr. Serizawa: Murderer Of Fish
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

CaptainStarbird
Justiriser

Post by CaptainStarbird »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I wish the alternate title for this film was Godzilla: King Of The Monsters vs. Dr. Serizawa: Murderer Of Fish
Okay, I admit that got a chuckle out of me, but poor form, dude.

Speaking of this film, I saw it on El Rey again in December amidst the marathon, fun times in that December.
-TK's resident burnout-

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

I have yet to see the entirety of the Americanized version. Another thing for the "to do" list I guess.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Armored Colossus
Yojimbo

Post by Armored Colossus »

My favorite scenes would be when Godzilla comes ashore. The creepy music really sells it. It makes Godzilla feel like something to be truly feared.

I love how this film starts off very mysterious.
Armored Colossus was brought to you by viewers like you!

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

I honestly don't know if I prefer the first time Godzilla comes ashore or the second. Granted the second attack is much longer and much more devastating, but the first attack is also the first time we see Godzilla in full view and it gets coupled with that incredible Ifukube score; it just makes for such a powerful scene even if it is shorter. I've seen the movie so many times by now that I can pretty much give you a shot-for-shot breakdown of what's going to happen but I still enjoy watching it anyways. That's when you know its a great movie and not just merely good.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Kaiser wrote:much longer and much more devastating
Godzilla: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

You know, it's funny, but my Japanese gf never watched a Godzilla film before she met me, and this was the first one I showed her. She was quite shocked how serious and grim it was, and to my surprise, she really liked it. The film remains potent to this day.

For those interested, here is a fantastic book by Yosensha devoted to this film. It's 320 pages and loaded with really rare, interesting stills (I'll try to post some, time permitting:

Also, here the Japanese Giants issue devoted to this film (probably the best English source on this film):

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

What is there to say about this film that hasn't already been said? Absolute masterpiece and hands-down best film in the Godzilla franchise.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I know that I prefer the second attack. It really sells how powerful and unstoppable Godzilla is. It also adds a couple of emotional touches ranging from despair to elation. We have a woman who's certain she and her children are going to be die, and it makes the scene where her child cries over her mother's body more moving. We then have the crowd's joy at seeing the jets drive Godzilla out to sea.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I know that this will sound like complete blasphemy, but are there any colorised versions of the American cut?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I know that this will sound like complete blasphemy, but are there any colorised versions of the American cut?
No, I don't think so. I wouldn't mind seeing one, just for novelty's sake (like the colorized King Kong '33).

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Pkmatrix wrote:
GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I know that this will sound like complete blasphemy, but are there any colorised versions of the American cut?
No, I don't think so. I wouldn't mind seeing one, just for novelty's sake (like the colorized King Kong '33).
There is such a thing? :freak:

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
There is such a thing? :freak:
I don't know, that's why I'm asking! :D
Like Pkmatrix said, it would be cool for novelty's sake. I can just see some idiot colorizing Godzilla's breath yellow. :P
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Re-watched King of the Monsters and it's weird how they added more Godzilla roars in certainly places, such as the electric lines. It kind of works there as an angry bellow but in other places it seems like it's trying too hard. I really like Godzilla's little 'woofs' of surprise.