Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Re: Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

Post by Kaiser »

While Space Amoeba can be a fun film if you go into it with the right mindset, I don't think I'd ever call it a "good" film.

This continues to be a tossup between Rodan and Mothra to me. While Mothra is probably the better movie, Rodan is more entertaining so I'm conflicted over which one I ultimately prefer. War of the Gargantuas comes in at a distant third, it's a lot of fun but I've always felt it was missing something and the plot makes no sense if you haven't seen Frankenstein Conquers the World and even then there's a ton of stuff that is never explained.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Ehhhhh... This is tough for me... I've put many reviews for the non-G stuff multiple times in other threads... But I have to say for me it is definitely Rodan (Japanese version). I can never get through the opening credits without that theme sending chills up my back... I also love the "Get Rodan" and "Rodan attacks Fukuoka" tracks as well... I think the American version of Rodan was the first non Godzilla film I ever saw, and was amazed by the movie, but scared by the Meganulon. However, two VERY CLOSE films behind first that are at a tie are Dogora (1964, Japanese) and The Mysterians (1957, Japanese). I know most of you don't care for Dogora, and if you want my reasons why I rank the film so highly, look at my post in the "Dogora (1964)" thread. As for The Mysterians, I love the soundtrack, the miniatures, and the story as a whole. Definitely the best alien invasion flick Toho has made (at least non-G, if you're going to argue).
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Kaiser wrote:While Space Amoeba can be a fun film if you go into it with the right mindset, I don't think I'd ever call it a "good" film.
Well, that's okay because you're not him. It was the last Toho tokusatsu film to feature Toho's golden age actors under their original contract. If anything, it's "good" for that reason. This is why none of these actors had leading roles in any of the '70s films.
Godzilla 1995 wrote:The lack of Matango in this thread disturbs me. Y'all need to see that movie bad.
Yeah, for real. What's up with that?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

^ I've never seen Matango, and when I was a kid and saw the previews and things for it, the Mushroom people scared me. So I actually never thought about it until now....
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

^I'll go buy it on Amazon then!

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

kaijubuddy
Yojimbo

Post by kaijubuddy »

I really liked Varan the Unbelievable. I found it odd how they introduced Varan into the Godzilla franchise, but only for a few cameos in DAM.
Happy Holidays Everybody!

The Robber
Samurai

Post by The Robber »

godzilla98rules wrote:Definitely War of the Gargantuas. The interactions between brother Gaira and Sandra are one of the best things to have ever came from the Showa era.
I'd like to talk about how much I love this movie but the weeeeeeeerrrds get stuck in my throat.
I've done a lot of crazy things in my life, but ... I've never stuck my head into a hornet's nest.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
The Robber wrote:
godzilla98rules wrote:Definitely War of the Gargantuas. The interactions between brother Gaira and Sandra are one of the best things to have ever came from the Showa era.
I'd like to talk about how much I love this movie but the weeeeeeeerrrds get stuck in my throat.
That song just got stuck in my head and I now hate you so freakin' much.
It's REALLY embarrassing when you're watching WOTG on a plane and your earbuds accidentally slip out of the jack and you don't realize that the strange echo is because the volume is blasting from the computer itself and the guy behind taps you on the shoulder and says, "Hey buddy, turn that down, that song is annoying the heck out of my wife!".........
Of course they slip out on that part of the movie........
my luck.......

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Goji wrote:
Kaiser wrote:While Space Amoeba can be a fun film if you go into it with the right mindset, I don't think I'd ever call it a "good" film.
Well, that's okay because you're not him. It was the last Toho tokusatsu film to feature Toho's golden age actors under their original contract. If anything, it's "good" for that reason. This is why none of these actors had leading roles in any of the '70s films.
It was meant as more of a comment on the fact that it was a highly unusual opinion than anything else. Our own Anthony Romero gave it 1.5/5 in a review, and it's generally considered one of Honda's worst films.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

he-ba wrote: It's REALLY embarrassing when you're watching WOTG on a plane and your earbuds accidentally slip out of the jack and you don't realize that the strange echo is because the volume is blasting from the computer itself and the guy behind taps you on the shoulder and says, "Hey buddy, turn that down, that song is annoying the heck out of my wife!".........
Of course they slip out on that part of the movie........
my luck.......
Ouch! That's gotta be pretty embarrassing! >_>

Personally, I never found the song that bad. The singer is pretty lousy, but the song is just typical.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

^ It wasn't that bad..... until the plane incident......

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Kaiser wrote:
Goji wrote:
It was meant as more of a comment on the fact that it was a highly unusual opinion than anything else. Our own Anthony Romero gave it 1.5/5 in a review, and it's generally considered one of Honda's worst films.
Seriously? I frikkin' love Space Amoeba.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I remember the first time I watched Gargantuas after my now-wife moved in. The song began and my wife, who was in the next room, asked what in the world I was watching.

And 10,000 posts! Yay...?

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

War of the Gargantuas is a great film so I'll go with that.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

AbudJasemAlBaldawi wrote: Seriously? I frikkin' love Space Amoeba.
Thank god, I am not the only one!

I'd have to say my favourite is either War of the Gargantuas or Frankestien vs Baragon, though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Darksenshi
GPN Volunteer

Post by Darksenshi »

I love Rodan it's an awesome movie. I just hate the way that it ended. It always gets under my skin. The Rodans never did anything wrong until they were attacked for no reason at all except for being born. :cry:

The Meganuron were the villains!!!!

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Darksenshi wrote:I love Rodan it's an awesome movie. I just hate the way that it ended. It always gets under my skin. The Rodans never did anything wrong until they were attacked for no reason at all except for being born.
Except for, you know, killing hundreds of people. And viewing humans as a food source.

Darksenshi
GPN Volunteer

Post by Darksenshi »

Kaiser wrote:
Darksenshi wrote:I love Rodan it's an awesome movie. I just hate the way that it ended. It always gets under my skin. The Rodans never did anything wrong until they were attacked for no reason at all except for being born.
Except for, you know, killing hundreds of people. And viewing humans as a food source.
I guess....I still always thought it was sad seeing them die like that.

mschenk
Samurai

Post by mschenk »

The only ones I've seen are Rodan, Mothra, King Kong Escapes, Rebirth of Mothra trilogy, and War of the Gargantuas. Rodan is my favorite. The suit in the original movie actually looked really good.

Godziller
Ronin

Post by Godziller »

I definetly have to go with Rodan... you know why? because... he's.. CONFIRMED Also because I like the movie a lot.