Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JGAR
Futurian

Re: Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

Post by JGAR »

Rodan was pretty big for me back ago, I liked nearly as much as Gojira/Godzilla (1954).
Yooo 8-)

gojirasunset
Ronin

Post by gojirasunset »

Varan He is cool

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

If you're talking about the character than yes but the movie he debuts in.............well its an okay film but not a great one.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

His movie was alright, but the Monster needs to make a comeback. He was one of my top candidates for Godzilla's enemies in Godzilla 2014 for that reason only.
Yooo 8-)

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I don't really have one.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

That's tough. For me its a tie between Rodan and War of the Gargantuas. Both movies are amazing with fantastic acting, great stories, and amazing special effects. Not to mention the monsters in both movies are totally killer and cool as all hell!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

After buying the DVD and watching the Japanese version, Frankenstein Conquers the World has cemented itself as #1 as my favorite non-Godzilla sci-fi film with War of the Gargantuas right behind it.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Jon
GPN Volunteer

Post by Jon »

Rodan. One of my most watched movies as a kid.

To be honest, I'd love to see a Rodan movie again, where he isn't just a co-star in a Godzilla movie.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

This is difficult. I haven't seen them all, but of the ones I've seen, I like Frankenstein Conquers the World the best.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I'd go for Rodan, with The Mysterians and Yog coming in second place.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Rodan, Frankenstein Conquers The World and War Of The Gargantua's get my vote, brilliant films!!
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

gigan72 wrote:
LiquidG wrote:Rodan, Frankenstein Conquers The World and War Of The Gargantua's get my vote, brilliant films!!
Favorite, not favorites.

Well in that case I'm going with War of the Gargantua's, even tough you can make the case that Rodan is a better film I just find War of the Gargantua's more enjoyable
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Gamera vs Rodan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gamera vs Rodan »

I honestly haven't seen enough but right now it's Rodan.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I'm bumping this thread as I think some of the younger, newer fans on here would really do themselves some good to learn more about the genre as a whole outside the heisei/millennium/2014 films (and I don't mean this in a spiteful/vindictive/condescending manner, I geniunely, honestly hope for these gems to be enjoyed and appreciated by newer generations of fans and not be forgotten), so I hope this thread becomes more active and lively in the future.

Anyways, I'll be checking back in here every now and then to highlight a particular Non-Godzilla TOHO film from the showa era.

For now, I'd like to talk about Half Human. This is one of the most elusive TOHO tokusatsu films to find, as the film has been pretty much avoided like the plague by TOHO and distributors alike to its controversial portrayal of the Ainu minority group (similar to the dilemma that faces Disney's Song of the South today). I remember renting the American version (which of course was highly editing and change for American audiences....John Carradine did the voice over/narration as well) and finding it quite fun, but the Japanese version of this film is one of the few TOHO tokusatsu films that I have yet to see the original, uncut Japanese version. Even in Japan, this film is notoriously difficult to hunt down in any form, and to my knowledge, it never got a R2 dvd release.

Here are a few links of the American trailer along with links featuring Masaru Sato's (who also composed the soundtracks for GRA, The H-Man GvsSeaMonster, SOG, GvsMG) score for this film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE3h5ZDPL-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcqXnGh4UO0
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Half-Human is one of the few classic Toho sci-fi movies I haven't seen. From what I hear, the original Japanese version is one of Honda's gems. I think I have a link to watch it in my bookmarks, but it's been so long that I don't know if it's been taken down.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Definitely Rodan. Rodan used to scare me into watching it when I was little, and eventually I creeped myself out so much I didn't watch it again until I was 13!

I haven't seen the Japanese version, but I can assume it is superior to the American version. I also like that George Takei narrated the American version.

Funny story that you don't care about, my friend's dad works for Marvel Comics, and is great friends with George, and when I told my friend where George started, it was like our world finally moulded into one, I guess you could say!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Darksenshi
GPN Volunteer

Post by Darksenshi »

I've gotta go with Rodan. Awesome movie. And those creepy Meganulon scared the crap outta me when I was a kid.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Definitely War of the Gargantuas. The interactions between brother Gaira and Sandra are one of the best things to have ever came from the Showa era.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

^ I always felt bad for Sanda. I don't know why, but it's like he shows up at the end, helps his brother, gets mad, they fight, and they die. also, Gaira always gets the publicity.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

mechamothra
Ronin

Post by mechamothra »

I really liked Space Amoeba, really cruddy monsters but in my opinion it was a good film.