Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Konban wa:

We've seen a million threads regarding "What's your favorite G film?" So I figured it would be interesting to start this thread....which Showa Toho *non-G* film is your favorite? I think this is an interesting topic, one I've honestly never really thought about before.

So, here is a short (or not so short) list of Toho non-G films from the showa period (I'd like to keep this topic focused on films from the 50s-late 70s):
  • The Invisible Man
  • Half Human
  • Rodan
  • The Mysterians
  • H-Man
  • Battle in Outer Space
  • Varan
  • The Human Vapor
  • The Secret of the Telegian
  • Birth of Japan (aka The Three Treasures)
  • The Last War
  • Mothra
  • Gorath
  • Matango
  • Atragon
  • Dogora
  • Frankenstein Conquers the World
  • War of the Gargantuas
  • King Kong Escapes
  • Latitude Zero
  • Yog/Space Amoeba
  • Vampire Doll
  • Lake of Dracula
  • Evil of Dracula
  • Submersion of Japan
  • ESPY
  • Prophecies of Nostradamus
  • HOUSE
  • War in Space

Wow, this was really tough for me...I love most of the above films as they all have their unique strengths and quirky charm.

I would have to say War of the Gargantuas probably comes out on top for me...this film reminds of me GvsTheThing, GTTHM, and Gvs Monster Zero in that everyone just seemed to "click" perfectly. I also have a soft spot for KKE because my 2nd favorite kaiju after Godzilla is in this film...nope, not King Kong....GOROSAURUS! SUPER KANGAROO KICK! :shock: Rodan, Dogora, and The Last War are close behind those films as well...man, this is far more difficult than choosing one's favorite G film.

What does everyone else think? Please share your thoughts...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Re: Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

Post by The H-Man »

Hard to pick one, but probably Mothra. Mysterians, Rodan, and Matango are also good. Also a shot out to H-Man which came as part of the Toho 3 DVD pack and I wasn't expecting much from it, but turned out to be a decent flick.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Matango is probably the combination of being critically the best and highly entertaining. War of the Gargantuas is another favorite of mine. Both are just great films and more complex in one way or another than movies like Rodan. It's not as high up there as those two, but Latitude Zero is a lot of fun.

The Showa era of sci-fi and Toho was really the best. The 1989-present movies have some good Godzilla ones and some other decent sci-fi (co-productions of the 20th Century Boys trilogy and Gantz duology), but not like the Showa era.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Gorath is just a flat-out favorite film of mine. The story is epic and Honda's enthusiasm for not having to deal with a giant monster and dealing with his trademark themes and tropes in such a pure form. Also, these are some of the best effects work Toho ever produced, period. The size of the models is noticeably larger and the sets appear massive. While Maguma maybe kinda' goofy, he is 100% convincing and looks and feels massive.

Secret of the Telegian - Wonderful pulpy goodness and Jun Fukuda's special effects film directorial debut. Kinda' hard to find in good shape, but highly recommended.

King Kong Escapes - Flat-out harmless and well-crafted fun. Some great art direction and the "international judas" Dr. Huu and Madame Piranha are such wonderful comic book characters. The Kong suit is noticably atrocious, but Gorosaurus and Mechanikong more then make up for it. Also, the music doesn't get enough praise.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

War of the Gargantuas, Frankenstein Conquers the World (Really gotta find this on DVD...), Rodan.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

HOUSE. It is not your usually horror film, it is batshit insane and when watching it you feel like you're on an acid trip. It has very unusual effects (like a girl's body parts floating) and the music is also pretty trippy.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Gyaos wrote:War of the Gargantuas, Frankenstein Conquers the World (Really gotta find this on DVD...), Rodan.
$12.99
http://www.target.com/p/Frankenstein-Co ... A-11363306

$14.99 (free shipping makes this the better deal)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Frankenstei ... &lp=2&cp=1

$15.59
http://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-Conq ... 826&sr=8-1
고질라

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Frankenstein Conquers The World for me. Unlike most of the other films in this category, I have no legitimate complaints with Frankenstein Conquers The World.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The best, without a doubt, is MOTHRA, but my favorite is FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD. I love HOUSE, too, but it can't be compared to any other Toho film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

definitely rodan
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

So far I've only seen Rodan and WOTG, and I like Rodan a bit more. I really gotta watch more of these..
Last edited by tymon on Fri May 31, 2013 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Prophecies of Nostradamus needs more love.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Gojisan
Yojimbo

Post by Gojisan »

War of the Gargantuas edges it for me.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

I agree with everyone who says WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS. Sure, Russ isn't too great or anything, but damn if that film doesn't have some of the nicest SFX Tsuburaya ever did. With the Gargantuas being as short as they are, they could do some great stuff. Big buildings, the nature shots are great, just, wow. The water shot of Gaira looking up at the two men on the boat was good. Sanda falling trying to save the femme fatale was great. Just, awesome. And I do not remember there being many composite shots, which is a plus.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Either Frankenstien vs Baragon or War of the Gargantuas for me. It's hard to decide. FvB gets points for Nick Adams, the introduction of my fifth favorite monster, Baragon, an awesome climatic monster fight, great SFX (minus the horse), some of my favorite Ifukube music tracks, an almost tragic story behind ol Frank, some truly funny scenes, and for adding Frankenstien and his lore into the Godzilla universe. (Yes, I consider FvB to be part of the Godzilla Showa series.)

WotG gets points for great music and effects, a good story, some very emotional monster stuff, the introduction of maser tanks, and pretty much what the guy above me said. I love both movies, but if I had to choose, I would pick FvB for monster action, and WotG for the story.

The others that I have seen, from favorite to least favorite.

Mothra
Varan: The Unbelivable
Rodan
Space Ameoba
King Kong Escapes
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

Either Rodan or Matango.
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: and for adding Frankenstien and his lore into the Godzilla universe. (Yes, I consider FvB to be part of the Godzilla Showa series.)
But while Baragon was added in for DAM, the Frankenstein/Gargantua saga is not a part of the Showa Godzilla universe(s). Same as how Dogora or Space Amoeba aren't either. Unless I'm missing something.
고질라

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: and for adding Frankenstien and his lore into the Godzilla universe. (Yes, I consider FvB to be part of the Godzilla Showa series.)
But while Baragon was added in for DAM, the Frankenstein/Gargantua saga is not a part of the Showa Godzilla universe(s). Same as how Dogora or Space Amoeba aren't either. Unless I'm missing something.
I don't see why they wouldn't be. They don't contradict anything, it's where Maser Tanks come from, and we get to see what mainland Japan is up to while Godzilla is off fighting Sea Monsters and adopting a son.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

beardRage
Monarch Researcher

Post by beardRage »

Tough call, I'd say probly War of The Gargantuas. Mothra and Rodan are close.
Jomei wrote: When we say Godzilla is "porky," are we talking Heisei levels of fatassery or more like GMK?
Chris55 wrote: BUT WHAT IF BRYAN CRANSTON FARTS DURNG AN INTERVIEW? NO ONE WILL WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE AND THEN THEY'LL ALL GO SEE SPIDERMAN!
Gawdziller wrote:Godzilla is this year's Hobbit 2...except for Hobbit 3...and except that it doesn't suck.