Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Re: Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

The Human Vapor. I have mentioned this many times, but Tsuchiya is phenomenal in this film and the ending packs a very powerful punch. The characters are well-developed, it's smart, and the effects are extremely clever. Definitely a blast.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

Easily Matango. For second place, I would have once said the original English dub of The Mysterians, but I think second place has been taken over by Latitude Zero. That movie makes me giddy. Fourth place, WOTG.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

War of The Gargantuans and Rodan. (because i havent watched the others like Matango, FvsB or The Mysterians but i plan to, later on).
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Post by The H-Man »

My least favorite of any that I've seen is Battle in Outer Space. It is so slow moving, and seeing it was a big disappointment as it's supposed to be a sequel of sorts to the Mysterians.

Gamera87
Young Farmer

Post by Gamera87 »

I am going to have to go nostalgic and say King Kong Escapes as I loved the toho Kong when I was little, For the life of me I will always enjoy the film because of that reason alone, however for a non toho I would have to say Daimajin which I have just only recently heard about and enjoy tremendously,and yes I am new here been a lurker but decided to join.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

One film I didn't include in the list (because it's not a kaiju/sci-fi film, which is what I wanted this discussion to focus on), but I though might warrant a mention because of Tsuburaya's great work is The Battle of the Sea of Japan. I am a history buff who has been studying the Russo-Japanese War 0f 1904-1905 (an extremely important war in world history that is often overlooked or receives scant attention...the long term consequences it had on the world, especially Japan and Russia, is staggering). This film has some amazing work done by Tsuburaya and Nakano...their depiction of the "Battle of Tshushima" with Japan's Imperial fleet's total annihilation of Russia's Baltic Fleet in the "Battle of Tsushima" is vintage Tsuburaya, and some of his best work, and captures the battle's events in amazing accuracy.

Battle of the Sea of Japan (1969)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNj4Icwf9eI
*note: the poster of the video added some bland music in...in the actual movie, there was no music during this scene, adding to its tension and mood).

In addition, here are some clips of some of Tsuburaya's earliest SFX work in the war film The War at Sea from Hawaii to Malaya. Really great stuff!:

The War at Sea from Hawaii to Malaya (1942)

Pearl Harbor Attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NnGSafE ... re=related

Sinking of the H.M.S Prince of Wales and Repulse (Malaysia attack)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE6_s1Tg ... re=related
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

Of the non-Godzilla Showa films, I've only seen Rodan, Frankenstein vs. Baragon, Atragon, and War of the Gargantuas.

Based on that, I liked War of the Gargantuas the best personally.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I've seen most of the films on that list, but to be honest I'm finding it almost impossible to pick favorites. I love all of the ones I've seen for one reason or another.

WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS and MATANGO are my absolute favorites, but I'd probably have at least 10 films tied for second place. :lol:
Last edited by Goji on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

With one or two exceptions I've only really seen Toho's giant monster stuff (working on fixing that) and even then, it's hard to pick one favorite. I agree that Battle in Outer Space isn't much to write home about. On the flipside, The Mysterians is a favorite of mine. Here's what I love from that list:

Mothra
Matango
The Mysterians
Frankenstein Conquers the World
War of the Gargantuas
Space Amoeba

I love 'em all for different reasons. Mothra is a fantastic flick that changed the world of giant monsters... easily Toho's best monster film other than Gojira. Matango is an awesomely bleak, subdued horror film. The Mysterians is a big fun alien invasion, done up Toho style. Frankenstein Conquers the World is insane, imaginative gold. War of the Gargantuas builds off the unique madness of FCtW with some surprisingly effective monster drama. Space Amoeba is unabashedly wild and fun, with unusually vulnerable monsters. If I absolutely HAD to pick one, I guess it might be Mothra.

I wish Toho would have done more non-Godzilla monster stuff after the Showa period, but I know why they didn't. (hint: $$$)
Haters gonna hate

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

For my Top 5 favorites, I would go with:
1. Mothra
2. Rodan
3. Frankenstein vs Baragon
4. War of the Gargantuas
5. Varan
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

dogora
Monsterland Worker

Post by dogora »

i havent seen many yet but

the mysterians and dogora are at hoint faviroutes at the moment, a am also quite partial to king kong vs macha-kong or whatever.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

King Kong escapes was pretty good. However in my opinion Gorosaurus stole the show the moment we see him, it's a shame he was only in the film for a few minutes.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

dogora
Monsterland Worker

Post by dogora »

kaiju115 wrote:King Kong escapes was pretty good. However in my opinion Gorosaurus stole the show the moment we see him, it's a shame he was only in the film for a few minutes.
totally agree with you there.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

For me, Matango stands heads and shoulders above everything else. It's not just one of my favorite Showa era Toho films, or just one of my favorite Toho films, but one of my all time favorite films period. Still, there are a lot of gems in this era of Toho's history so a more well rounded top list would look like this:

1. Matango
2. The War of the Gargantuas
3. Rodan
4. Vampire Doll
5. H-Man
6. Prophecies of Nostradamus
7. Frankenstein vs. Baragon

Everything else is actually far more "distant" in terms of preference.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

My favorites would be Mothra, Rodan, and Frankenstein Conquers the World

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

Definitely Rodan. It was the first non-Godzilla Showa Toho film I saw, and it'll always have a special place in my heart.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Just saw The Secret of the Telegian recently, and I just might have to add it to my list...very underrated/under-appreciated film. I enjoyed it much more than the more well-known Human Vapor film made around the same time (it's not a bad film mind you, but I feel The Secret of the Telegian is better...)
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Would THRONE OF BLOOD count? If so, that's my answer.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Easily Mothra for me, hands down. It's one of the top 5 best kaiju movies ever made. Matango is not far behind, though.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

For me, its definitely Matango. It was way ahead of its time and quite frankly it still leaves an impact today. They took a concept that some would condemn to be goofy and turned it into something that is legitimately creepy. Which of course is giant laughing mutant mushrooms. And how they came to be is even more creepy.

Plus, it is anchored by a wonderful cast that do the story justice. I love how tense things get when the crew starts to break down by their bleak situation. Something that is very well pulled off.

Is it wrong that I like this film more then Gojira? Lol. I adore it that much.

The Mysterians come second. Dispite being more flawed then the former I still highly enjoy for its ideas and how they were excited. Plus to has two highly humorous moments.
Last edited by SUPERTOHOREMIX on Fri May 31, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.