Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Your favorite Toho Showa *Non-G* SCI-FI FILM

Post by mikelcho »

My favorites are the ones with the smaller monsters-Frankenstein vs. Baragon, The War of the Gargantuas and King Kong Escapes.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

- Rodan
-War of the Gargantuans
- Mysterians (maybe, all I have is a crappy US version)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Mothra, 100%, no competition. One of my favorite movies period.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Prophecies of Nostradamus, definitely. The movie is by no means perfect, mainly due to some problems with the script, but despite that it has a certain charm and effect that makes it unforgettable for me. The acting is great, especially by the late Tetsuro Tamba. The many special effects in the second half are pretty outstanding for the most part. Highlights include the highway chain reaction explosion (probably one of my favorite scenes in any Toho movie) and the Fukushima nuclear reactor's destruction (they actually predicted it!), which caused an explosion so big that it reportedly nearly burned the roof of the soundstage. Then there's the score by the late Isao Tomita. Those synthesizer sounds give me goosebumps in several tracks, particularly "Abnormal Weather".

All in all, I'm glad to have this movie as #3 on my favorite movies list. Pretty ironic that two of my favorite Toho movies are both from 1974: PON and GvsMG.
Last edited by G-Matt on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

tlyon2
Yojimbo

Post by tlyon2 »

I'll just give out my top five.

1.Rodan

2.War Of The Gargantuas

3.King Kong Escapes

4.The Mysterians

5.Matango

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Ivo-goji wrote:Mothra, 100%, no competition. One of my favorite movies period.
Ditto. Mothra is a beautiful movie with a compelling story, engaging characters, some marvelous effects set pieces, and a thematic and stylistic approach that really changed the face of the kaiju genre.

Runners up would include:

Rodan
Matango
Frankenstein Conquers the World
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I still haven't seen Mothra. I really need to. My favourites are Rodan (one of the best city destruction scenes) and War of the Gargantuas (surprising amount of emotion thrown behind the monsters).

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I love the non-Godzilla Toho output. Some of the most creative films were produced during this period.

I'd have to choose Rodan, Half Human, War of the Gargantuas, and Matango as my favorites. I still have a few films on my watch list (mainly Latitude Zero, Dogora, Atragon, Battle in Outer Space, and H-Man) and others that I need to pick up from bootleggers (Secret of the Telegian, Human Vapor, Gorath).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:I love the non-Godzilla Toho output. Some of the most creative films were produced during this period.

I'd have to choose Rodan, Half Human, War of the Gargantuas, and Matango as my favorites. I still have a few films on my watch list (mainly Latitude Zero, Dogora, Atragon, Battle in Outer Space, and H-Man) and others that I need to pick up from bootleggers (Secret of the Telegian, Human Vapor, Gorath).
Totally forgot how much I dig The H-Man! Thanks for the reminder!

I need to re-watch Battle in Outer Space soon. I've only watched it one time, and I remember liking it better than The Mysterians, but I don't really recall much about it beyond some of the effects.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

The Mysterians has recently become tied with my previous favorite Non-Goji film, Rodan, after seeing it for the first time almost a week ago.
The main draw for me is the original Moguera, which looks far more amazing than the 90s incarnation, the Markalite Cannons were also a plus.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

MOTHRA (1961), a fantastic non-Godzilla movie that I love!!!
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Why must I choose 1?! I love these films. The Mysterians may be my favorite non Godzilla film. I would even dare to say it ranks higher then Godzilla. It's a proper sci fi film. Great story. Great characters. Moguera! Some other favorites would be Matango, I'm not even a fan of the horror genre but this is a well done film and mushroom people are creepy. War of the Gargantuas is another awesome flick. Dogora, while the plot is rather flimsy and seems to flip flop two different genres, these were some of the best effects I've seen in the Showa era. They really brought dogora to life. I found the characters quite good as well. Mark Jackson, diamond broker. He and his karate chop action alone is almost reason enough to watch it. I could go on and on about more such as Atragon, H-man, Gorath, but I'm going to stop there.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

The Human Vapor is such an amazing film. Hands down, my favorite non-kaiju Toho entry.

As for the kaiju-related films, Matango, Rodan, & Frankenstein vs. The Subterranean Monster Baragon take the spot.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:The Human Vapor is such an amazing film. Hands down, my favorite non-kaiju Toho entry.
I only ever saw that one in a dubbed, pan-and-scan VHS version. I definitely don't think I got a good representation of it.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

eabaker wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:The Human Vapor is such an amazing film. Hands down, my favorite non-kaiju Toho entry.
I only ever saw that one in a dubbed, pan-and-scan VHS version. I definitely don't think I got a good representation of it.
That does sound rough... I have a pretty high quality version of it, the picture is crystal.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

Top 5 (probably not in order):

Rodan
Frankenstein Conquers The World
War of The Gargantuas
Mothra
Matango
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

New Kirk Citizen
Ronin

Post by New Kirk Citizen »

Of the movies on this list that I've seen, I'd rate them this way (at the moment):

Rodan
Mothra
Gorath
Varan
The Mysterians
The Human Vapor
Battle in Outer Space
King Kong Escapes
War of the Gargantuas
Frankenstein Conquers the World
Dogora
Atragon
Space Amoeba
Matango
The Secret of the Telegian
The H-Man
Half Human
Latitude Zero

Mothra is my favorite supporting kaiju, but I think Rodan is a better movie, but only by a slight margin. I acknowledge that Matango is a very good film, but it's not one I re-watch often. Half-Human gets a low rating only because of the poor quality of the bootlegs I've seen. It's not a bad movie; if fact, I enjoy all of these films. I look forward to finding the others on the list eventually.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rodan. It's really got a fairly unique atmosphere compared to most Toho's other giant monster films. In some ways it really plays more like a horror movie.

I actually rather enjoyed Latitude Zero. It almost feels like a cross between the Adam West Batman, The Avengers, and an Irwin Allen film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I say it comes down to Rodan and War of the Gargantuas. I did also like King Kong Escapes.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.