Roar Origins

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Re: Roar Origins

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

:eh:
How oddly appropriate.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Kaiju-King42 asked this a couple pages ago, and I'm wondering the same thing:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: How were King Ghidorah's cackles created?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Ghidorah was supposedly described as having a "voice like a bell" the screenplay, so I assuming it was created by electronic means. That's my best guess.

BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by BigBaragon »

I had heard that Gabera's cackle was created using Justin Beaver's masturbatory sounds coupled with the noises made by mating geese.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

BigBaragon wrote:I had heard that Gabera's cackle was created using Justin Beaver's masturbatory sounds coupled with the noises made by mating geese.
:lol:
[Laughs so hard; falling off of workstation]
Dude, Oh...My...Godzilla!!! That made my day!
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

This here is something I would like to know if it's true or not:

On Internet Movie Database, in the trivia section on Godzilla, King of the Monsters, it says that "Godzilla's roar did come from a contrabass, but the echoing sound came from playing the sound in an empty toilet tank and recording it."

Here's the link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0197521/trivia
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

I think some of Ghidorah's roars were taken from Rodan and modified a little. You can hear them if you watch Rodan(movie)
I was thinking why nobody brought what I'm about to say up yet,but I guess it was because it's pretty obvious:
Battra's roar is just Rodan's roar with a couple of different sounds thrown in.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

GiganKing2
Ronin

Post by GiganKing2 »

Gabara and Titanosaurus roars are the same.Gabara's roar is sped up while Titanosaurus 's roar is slowed down.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Superrex wrote:I think some of Ghidorah's roars were taken from Rodan and modified a little. You can hear them if you watch Rodan(movie)
I was thinking why nobody brought what I'm about to say up yet,but I guess it was because it's pretty obvious:
Battra's roar is just Rodan's roar with a couple of different sounds thrown in.
That's the Heisei Ghidorah; we're talking about the Showa Ghidorah.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I noticed in the end credits, veteren voice man, and Meagtron himself, Frank Welker, provided some of the vocals to Zilla in G'98. Likewise Optimus Prime, Peter Cullen, did the roar, and assorted grunts and growls for King Kong in the DeLaurentis 1976 remake. Now take this with a grain of salt, according to the wikipedia.net article on the flick. Cullen was really worked like a slave in the sound studio, that he ripped up his throat pretty bad. To the point where he was coughing up blood. Yikes. :freak:
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Regarding that last post, I really feel for the man, this Mr. Peter Cullen. I'd hate to think about how it would feel if I was in a similar situation.

A few posts back, someone made mention of the Showa King Ghidorah as having a 'voice like a bell.' My guess is that King Ghidorah's sounds are simply higher in pitch, hence the phrase a 'voice like a bell.' Now here are some questions for the thread:

1. How are the Showa King Ghidorah sounds made?

2. How are Megalon's sounds made? I recall hearing 6 distinct sounds made:
[A]the typical grunt
the same sustained grunt spliced with a shrieking sound
[C]the shrieking sound without the grunt
[D]a different shrieking sound that rises in pitch at the end
[E]the guttural laughter that sounds like a truck engine turning over
[F]the shriek it makes when it accidentally swallows its own lava grenade.

Note that the one I labeled the 'typical grunt' is the one that made it into the recent Godzilla games, while the third sound (the shriek) was shortened and made it to the Wii port of Godzilla: Unleashed.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

SpanishBulldog63 wrote:How was Orga's roar made? Not the one from the games,but the one in Godzilla 2000?
I think there is an already-existing thread for this one in the Millennium category; this thread is in the Showa category.
Last edited by skuzzy-punk-kid on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

skuzzy-punk-kid wrote: 2. How are Megalon's sounds made? I recall hearing 6 distinct sounds made:
Not sure how the shrieking sounds were made (Though, they do sound a bit like Ebirah/Kamacuras), but the grunt sounds a lot like Rodan's short "chirps".

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Space Hunter M wrote:
skuzzy-punk-kid wrote: 2. How are Megalon's sounds made? I recall hearing 6 distinct sounds made:
Not sure how the shrieking sounds were made (Though, they do sound a bit like Ebirah/Kamacuras), but the grunt sounds a lot like Rodan's short "chirps".
I recall encountering that same 'chirp' in Ghidora: the Three-Headed Monster (although I only heard it once), but it did sound like Megalon's grunt...without the sustain heard in Godzilla's low-pitched sustained roar heard from King Kong vs. Godzilla to Destroy All Monsters. After Gt3HM, those same 'chirps' had a slightly higher pitch and sounded more like Rodan coughing. But...how exactly were those sounds made?

Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Post by Darth Calypso »

Not sure if anyone else posted this but, Kamacuras' roar is a sped up version of Ebirah's roar.
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Has anyone heard Maguma's roar? It's pretty sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H78EicSxIo

The question is, how did Toho do it? Did they use REAL walrus sounds, perhaps?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Interesting; I wonder how much the sounds were tweaked.
Thanks!

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

When I was hearing Maguma's roars I heard a little bit of Rodan's cries in Maguma
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I just found raw sounds from GRA on YouTube. Anguirus's roars were made with a saxophone, and later altered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lygEnfOeMQ
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

bring this thread back, you guys had some cool info in here. don't let it die people!