Roar Origins

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Re: Roar Origins

Post by KingZillla »

Wrinkledlion X wrote:We've all heard of how Godzilla's roar was originally created, but is there anything written on how other Showa roars were created? (I'm posting this in Showa, as a lot of Heisei and Millennium roars are simply pitch-shifted versions of older roars, or animal growls.)

I just stumbled upon this video, which seems to indicate that Anguirus' roar used a trumpet as its base, though I'm not sure what its source is. Now it's got me started wondering about Ghidorah, Rodan, Gigan, and Hedorah—there were a lot of very distinctive roars in the Showa era. Great sound design all around.
Wow! that interesting! it's kinda scary..

I love Anguirus! :D
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Yaburu wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Gigan's roar sounds like a flanged and reversed version of Kamoebas's
From what I've always heard, Gigan's roar is an eagle's cry sped up. Much like Space Godzilla's is an Eagle's cry slowed down.
Actually, the "eagle" screech is in truth the Red-Tailed Hawk screech.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Oh that's terrifying! I was once almost attacked by a Red-tailed hawk who wanted the field mouse that crawled on the picnic table next to me! That piercing scream scared me for years!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Wrinkledlion X wrote:We've all heard of how Godzilla's roar was originally created, but is there anything written on how other Showa roars were created? (I'm posting this in Showa, as a lot of Heisei and Millennium roars are simply pitch-shifted versions of older roars, or animal growls.)

I just stumbled upon this video, which seems to indicate that Anguirus' roar used a trumpet as its base, though I'm not sure what its source is. Now it's got me started wondering about Ghidorah, Rodan, Gigan, and Hedorah—there were a lot of very distinctive roars in the Showa era. Great sound design all around.
This might sound immature, but looking at that Godzilla Face and hearing the Saxophone made me burst into laughter. I literally started crying. They butchered Godzilla.

Something I want to know is where did Kiryu's roar come from?
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

ArmageddonGoji95
Ronin

Post by ArmageddonGoji95 »

Can someone please tell me how Hesei King Ghidorah's roar is made (1991 and Grand King Ghidorah) besdies saying that his voice is like a bell? And his roar can't be from Rodan and Battra as King Ghidorah Heisei (1991) was in a film before Rodan and Battra's Heisei roars were.Someone pleas ehelp me find that out.
"Listen kid! There are just two things you don't know about the Earth! One is me, the other is...Godzilla!" -Captain Gordon

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

ArmageddonGoji95 wrote:Can someone please tell me how Hesei King Ghidorah's roar is made (1991 and Grand King Ghidorah) besdies saying that his voice is like a bell? And his roar can't be from Rodan and Battra as King Ghidorah Heisei (1991) was in a film before Rodan and Battra's Heisei roars were.Someone pleas ehelp me find that out.
He was made from Showa Rodan's roars, even though its essentially the same as Heisei Rodan.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:

This might sound immature, but looking at that Godzilla Face and hearing the Saxophone made me burst into laughter. I literally started crying. They butchered Godzilla.

Something I want to know is where did Kiryu's roar come from?
"Welcome to Toho Studios, let our mascot and walking nuclear disaster Godzilla entertain you with some smooth jazz."

I'll also ask about Kiryu's roar here, it's probably one of the cooler ones.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

ArmageddonGoji95 wrote:Can someone please tell me how Hesei King Ghidorah's roar is made (1991 and Grand King Ghidorah) besdies saying that his voice is like a bell? And his roar can't be from Rodan and Battra as King Ghidorah Heisei (1991) was in a film before Rodan and Battra's Heisei roars were.Someone pleas ehelp me find that out.
They just altered the Showa Rodan roar for Ghidorah. The Showa version was said to have a roar like a bell in the GTTHM script not GVKG. They also used Gigans roar at a different pitch for Spacegodzilla.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I remember reading somewhere that the main Meganulon sound was someone washing a window sped up and altered? Is that true?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

First, let me say that two of my favorite episodes of Hanna-Barbera's Godzilla are "The Beast of Storm Island" and "The City in the Clouds", both of them because of the enemy monsters: Axor because he's just a cool foe (and the only monster in the series besides Godzilla and Godzooky to have a proper name instead of a descriptive one) and the power dragon because he looks like a dragon counterpart of Rodan. I also like "Island of Doom" because of one line from the female COBRA officer, which says it all:

"The beast has taken nearly every weapon we've got, and it still keeps coming!" 'Nuff said.

Now, I told you that story to tell you this one: the power dragon's roar is one of four of Hanna-Barbera's monster roars that are really great and that I cannot properly duplicate vocally at all. Examples of the other three would be Turu the Pteranodon and the Andean condor's cry from the Jonny Quest episodes "Turu the Terrible" and "Shadow of the Condor"*, the Giant Horra Bat's screech from the Space Ghost episodes "Creature King" and "The Sorcerer" and the speech of the Gargoyloids and the Spider Men/Spider People in the Space Ghost episode "The Gargoyloids" and The Herculoids episodes "The Spider Men" and its sequel "The Antidote".

What I'd like to know is: how did they do all four of them and who created them? Any information on this would be most appreciated.

*Actually, in real life, New World vultures (like the Andean condor) don't have a voice and can only grunt and hiss. But if if a bird like that one did have a voice, this episode's one would be it. I mean, it just sounds impressive, don't you agree?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Megalon is literally a sped up Varan roar which is an altered G54 roar.
For Emperor and Empire!

Blinder16
Ronin

Post by Blinder16 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
"Welcome to Toho Studios, let our mascot and walking nuclear disaster Godzilla entertain you with some smooth jazz."

Come on, who wouldn't love to watch this? :lol:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

My favorite stories for roar origins are Mothra's and Titannosaurus'.

Mothra's distinctive chip was created by taking Anguirus' roar (created in Godzilla Raids Again) and upping the pitch and speed to such an extent that it sounds like a completely new animal sound. I love this because it speaks to how Toho's craftsmen would make the most out of their limited resources and tight schedules to deliver something memorable. Also, once I heard that explanation for Mothra's chirp, I can't un-hear Anguirus in there.

Many of the Toho monster's roars were created this way (taking old sounds and changing it) so its amazing how they managed to create so many distinctive sounds for the monsters using this method.

But my favorite roar sound story is probably an untrue one, but its super funny. I've heard several explanations for the Titannosaurus roar (Backwards elephant, Gabara's old roar sped up, etc.). However, the funniest one by far is that the roar was created by taking the sound a horse makes when it ejaculates and played that sound backwards. I doubt its true, but its so weird, I felt like I had to mention it.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

GojiDog wrote:My favorite stories for roar origins are Mothra's and Titannosaurus'.

Mothra's distinctive chip was created by taking Anguirus' roar (created in Godzilla Raids Again) and upping the pitch and speed to such an extent that it sounds like a completely new animal sound. I love this because it speaks to how Toho's craftsmen would make the most out of their limited resources and tight schedules to deliver something memorable. Also, once I heard that explanation for Mothra's chirp, I can't un-hear Anguirus in there.

Many of the Toho monster's roars were created this way (taking old sounds and changing it) so its amazing how they managed to create so many distinctive sounds for the monsters using this method.

But my favorite roar sound story is probably an untrue one, but its super funny. I've heard several explanations for the Titannosaurus roar (Backwards elephant, Gabara's old roar sped up, etc.). However, the funniest one by far is that the roar was created by taking the sound a horse makes when it ejaculates and played that sound backwards. I doubt its true, but its so weird, I felt like I had to mention it.
Why must you make me want to hear a horse nut?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote:First, let me say that two of my favorite episodes of Hanna-Barbera's Godzilla are "The Beast of Storm Island" and "The City in the Clouds", both of them because of the enemy monsters: Axor because he's just a cool foe (and the only monster in the series besides Godzilla and Godzooky to have a proper name instead of a descriptive one) and the power dragon because he looks like a dragon counterpart of Rodan. I also like "Island of Doom" because of one line from the female COBRA officer, which says it all:

"The beast has taken nearly every weapon we've got, and it still keeps coming!" 'Nuff said.

Now, I told you that story to tell you this one: the power dragon's roar is one of four of Hanna-Barbera's monster roars that are really great and that I cannot properly duplicate vocally at all. Examples of the other three would be Turu the Pteranodon and the Andean condor's cry from the Jonny Quest episodes "Turu the Terrible" and "Shadow of the Condor"*, the Giant Horra Bat's screech from the Space Ghost episodes "Creature King" and "The Sorcerer" and the speech of the Gargoyloids and the Spider Men/Spider People in the Space Ghost episode "The Gargoyloids" and The Herculoids episodes "The Spider Men" and its sequel "The Antidote".

What I'd like to know is: how did they do all four of them and who created them? Any information on this would be most appreciated.

*Actually, in real life, New World vultures (like the Andean condor) don't have a voice and can only grunt and hiss. But if if a bird like that one did have a voice, this episode's one would be it. I mean, it just sounds impressive, don't you agree?
I just thought of a fifth sound to add to this list: Blip's original chattering in the original Space Ghost series (which is also heard in the monkey scene in the closing credits of Jonny Quest).

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

GojiDog wrote:My favorite stories for roar origins are Mothra's and Titannosaurus'.

Wikizilla says they're modified from Ultraman Ace's kaiju Brocken, which are pretty much 100% elephant trumpet, so I'd doubt that was the case. But, for the sake of confirmation...
Cryptid_Liker wrote:Why must you make me want to hear a horse nut?
Worry not, Cryptid_Liker, I already did that for you. In the 5 instances I watched only one horse made any noise and it was just fairly typical horse sounds, so unless new information comes up I think we can put the nail in the coffin on that story.