Any surviving showa suits?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Breakdown
Keizer

Any surviving showa suits?

Post by Breakdown »

Though the probability is extremely low, ARE there any remaining suits from the Showa series? I remember seeing someone who owned the actual head of the Mechagodzilla suit in a video. I'd assume suits like Ebirah, Mechagodzilla and maybe Gigan didnt degade all that bad seeing as they didnt look like they where made of rubber but rather other materiels like plastic.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Re: Any surviving showa suits?

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I would imagine that any suits or props, not obsessively preserved would be piles of goop by now, unfortunately.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Here's a scan from Godzilla Magazine showing the remains of several Showa suits rotting away in a rubber suit graveyard in 1993:

Last edited by SuperMonsterZero on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

"Godzilla treasure house"?

Kinda misleading title =\
ImageImage

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

NSZ wrote:Why would you post that, man? A simple 'I have it on good authority that a good number of Showa suits have succumbed to unrepairable deterioration' would've been sufficient enough. No need to post a horror show.
^ Hey, a picture speaks a thousand words.

Yeah, those are depressing photos; but perhaps it makes one appreciate them all the more. I once read a quote from Brian Henson, regarding work at Jim Henson's Creature Shop, stating how much of the beauty in their work came from the fact that outside of the film, none of the puppets, robots, etc. last long. They all rot away eventually, leaving only what you see on screen.

Just food for thought.
Last edited by Rody on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Many props from the Showa era still survive in remarkably good condition. I think one of the Mechagodzilla suits is still looking pretty good these days.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

I don't get what's so depressing about garbage.
bleep bloop

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

SuperMonsterZero wrote:Here's a scan from Godzilla Magazine showing the remains of several Showa suits rotting away in a rubber suit graveyard in 1993:

They may be dead, but they live on in our hearts. Rest in peace, great Showa monsters, rest.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Legion1979 wrote:
Legionmaster wrote:I don't get what's so depressing about garbage.
Must you always be "that guy"?

Yes, it's technically garbage. But it's garbage that started out as something a lot of us have a very strong attachment to. So it's always kind of painful when you see something you have an attachment to looking so decrepit. I've never seen monster suits in that bad a state of decay. That old Gigan suit is definitely the hardest to look at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoVcYPo_E_U

Don't you think it's a little silly to feel so attached to 40-year old hunks of rubber?
bleep bloop

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I still have the scans from the 80's that Legion79 posted on the old forums..not sure if they've been posted elsewhere. If people want to see them, I don't mind reposting them.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I'd like to see them, Goji.
ImageImage

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

SuperMonsterZero wrote:Here's a scan from Godzilla Magazine showing the remains of several Showa suits rotting away in a rubber suit graveyard in 1993:

:freak: Good god :freak: these pics are depressing :(
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Legion1979 wrote:So why shouldn't we feel attached to the "hunks of rubber" that bring the monsters we love to life in the first place?
Because they're just movie props. From a long time ago. Why would they be saved?
Why piss in everyone's cereal? This is an interesting thread, and SuperMonsterZero's photo contribution was fantastic, something I've never seen before. It's not unusual for Godzilla fans to have this sort of reaction when seeing decaying monster suits.
I wasn't aware a simple statement was "pissing in cereal." Which also makes me laugh, cuz you do far worse in basically any thread where someone says they like the Heisei/Millennium films. It's really amusing how hypocritical and narrow minded you are.
But since Legionmaster doesn't want us to be passionate about the very hobby that brings us here, maybe you shouldn't. I mean, why post photos of garbage?
You're so melodramatic and are inferring far more from my comments than I'm actually saying. I have nothing against posting images of the decaying suits. It's pretty cool, in fact. It's just a little silly to claim depression over it.
bleep bloop

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

That pic is sad. Izzat Gorosaurus and Gabara? Godman Graveyard?

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Where were the photos taken? I mean, I suppose they wouldn;t mind if we snatched some of what's left...
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

If it's not Goro then who? I don't think it's The Last Dinosaur...

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Oh. Could be. I'd like to think they were all statues...

SteveRGR
GPN Volunteer

Post by SteveRGR »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:Where were the photos taken? I mean, I suppose they wouldn;t mind if we snatched some of what's left...
That was my initial thought when I saw it. A fun restoration project.
Daddy's home. Cake. Every. Night.

Shōbijin
GPN Volunteer

Post by Shōbijin »

@Toho
"Oh god, damn you, damn you all to hell!"

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

I looked at the photo and literally shouted out "how can they do that to
gorosaurus?!"
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.