Any surviving showa suits?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Re: Any surviving showa suits?

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

Mechagigan wrote:Nice pictures! Aren't those from the display going on over at Japan? Wish I could be there!
Yes, yes they are.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

What about the Giant Condor Prop? I doubt it considering it was burned and had water damage as well. Plus it seemed to be falling apart back in '66, doubt anyone knows/ cares.
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

GODZILLA2877 wrote:Here is some awesome pics! Enjoy! :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6615_n.jpg
What's this one?
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

gigan72 wrote:
snip
Awesome finds! Thank you for those.
You're welcome! :D

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I wish I could go to Japan...........

Was the Titanosaurus suit there? I would imagine it would be in bad shape, I believe they used the same suit in all of his water scenes.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

I would imagine, because some of those Heisei props and suits are in pretty bad shape

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6615_n.jpg
What's this one?
Looks like the Godzillabot skull to me.
I went to this same exhibit at the Sunshine City Buidling in Ikebukuro, Tokyo this past Tuesday. It was awesome to see all of this stuff in person :mechagodzilla: :gigan: :destoroyah: :muto: :g64: :godzilla: :g2k: Basically they had some Heisei suits and props along with a lot of the millenium suits on display. They had some showa stuff too, but mainly props as most of the suits no longer exist (although Gigan's buzzsaw was on display...it was nearly black in color due to age).

I'll post some photos later once I upload them..
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

ILIKEXENOMORPHS
Yojimbo

Post by ILIKEXENOMORPHS »

gigan72 wrote:
ebirahsmeg1 wrote:(although Gigan's buzzsaw was on display...it was nearly black in color due to age).
Did you get pictures of it? :shock:

Need to see it too!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I'll upload the photos later tonight after I finish work.

Unfortunately, I was limited to what I could take photos off, as the majority of showa/heisei related suits and props were off limits to photos (Japan is very strict about enforcing rules in general, and each room had a guard who was watching everyone like a hawk...I wasn't about to try them). Basically, the suits from GMK, GSOS, and GFW were the ones we were allowed to photograph.

In addition to Gigan's buzzsaw, there were some train cars attacked by Kong in KKvG,, some jet fighter props from both G54 and GvsGigan, the helicopter prop from GvsMegalon, the original oxygen destroyer prop, a head prop of Destroyer final stage, some small Destroyer aggregate stage props, all of the Super X vehicles, the melted face/skull from GvsDestroyer (which someone managed to take a photo of undetected) all of the suits from GvsSpaceG along with Godzilla Jr, Showa Gotengo (the prop from GFW), and various other props.

It was a wonderful experience. I came to Japan in late 2006 and was just taken aback by how much Godzilla's stature had fallen in Japan....the typical eye rolling/snickering from Americans whenever "Godzilla" is brought up as an interest of mine was exactly the same reaction I received from most Japanese people....I came to Japan far too late as the Daikaiju genre has never been as dead here as has been post-2004. Most kids in this country know next to nothing about Godzilla, prepering One Piece, Pokemon, etc...even interest in Ultraman/Kamen Rider, which are sadly far more popular than Godzilla, seems to be waning. So for the first time since living here, Godzilla is being given a lot of attention everywhere, so I'm going to try to enjoy it while it lasts.

However, before some assume that G2014's success means "there will be a daikaiju revival in Japan!!! Maybe TOHO will make new G films again!", let me just say this: When I attended this exhibit, it was not crowded at all, and almost "NO" kids were there...the crowd mainly consisted of fans in their 40s or older. Considering this is summer break for most kids in Japan along with the high publicity that both this event and Godzilla in general has been receiving lately, that's not exactly encouraging. Also, most shops and bookstores with Godzilla goods are collecting dust and seem to be selling at a snail's pace.....just some general observations I've made.

Anyways, enough of being a downer....I had a great time seeing all of this cool stuff up close, and photos will come later tonight. :g2k:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

^ Thanks for the photos. I look forward to them!

In regards to Godzilla's popularity among youngsters, I think that America is getting the most new fans. There were a few enthusiastic children when I saw Godzilla 2014 in theaters twice, and when I was browsing the DVD section at a store recently I saw a kid (about 6 years old) looking at the back of the Sony Godzilla Blu-Rays and naming all the monsters aloud from their logos. It was pretty cute! However, it's a shame that Godzilla is losing (arguably) its most important audience in its home country. :(

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

20th Century Boy wrote:^ Thanks for the photos. I look forward to them!

In regards to Godzilla's popularity among youngsters, I think that America is getting the most new fans. There were a few enthusiastic children when I saw Godzilla 2014 in theaters twice, and when I was browsing the DVD section at a store recently I saw a kid (about 6 years old) looking at the back of the Sony Godzilla Blu-Rays and naming all the monsters aloud from their logos. It was pretty cute! However, it's a shame that Godzilla is losing (arguably) its most important audience in its home country. :(

To be honest, I think part of the reason daikaiju film interest has been waning is indirectly connected the whole Soshoku-danshi (Herbivore Boys) phenomon in Japan that has been going on the last decade....it's probably one of the biggest problems plaguing Japan today and the main reason the birth rate (and average times people here in general have sex) is the lowest in the world. Over the years, I (and numerous others, both foreigner expats and Japanese people themselves) have grown increasingly critical of this highly annoying group, and the fact they don't like things such as Godzilla is the least of the reasons why I and others find them so irritating, and I could probably fill up a few pages in the "what gets on your nerves" thread on this issue alone...but that is a whole another topic for a entirely different thread. :monsterx:

On to some photos:

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I thought the GMK suit was badly deteriorating last time I saw it, it looked like a zombie. They did a hell of a job restoring it.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

^ I think this may be a promotional prop

^^That Mothra (fighting Godzilla 2002/3... I wasn't there.....) looks like it's from the Heisei series, not the Millenium one.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

he-ba wrote:^ I think this may be a promotional prop

^^That Mothra (fighting Godzilla 2002/3... I wasn't there.....) looks like it's from the Heisei series, not the Millenium one.
Yes, it was the Heisei Mothra prop.

Some more photos:

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

^wow, GMK Mothra and Hedorah look like they've seen MUCH better days

Dino4ex
Samurai

Post by Dino4ex »

20th Century Boy wrote:^ Thanks for the photos. I look forward to them!

Saw something like that too, though I want him to move so I get my hands on them. Its just sad his popularity is at an all-time low there.
ebirahsmeg1 wrote:On to some photos:
Those are some nice pictures. Very neat. :huge:
Giant Carnivorous Ants

GojiGuy02
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojiGuy02 »

Anguirus' neck looks like it's trying to form a double chin in the second pic XD

And by the way, what's with that picture that looks like Godzilla's tail covered in cement?
Vatarian wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:
Vatarian wrote: Bullshit. Spacegodzilla stomps and you know it.
How does SpaceGodzilla stand any chance at all? It's obvious SpaceGodzilla is the victor here.
Prove it. Spacegodzilla's feats are MILES above Spacegodzilla's, and don't even try the "outlier" route.
Resized Image

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

GojiGuy02 wrote:Anguirus' neck looks like it's trying to form a double chin in the second pic XD

And by the way, what's with that picture that looks like Godzilla's tail covered in cement?

That was a display at the entrance of the exhibit.

One interesting note is that I bought a "program" for $10 the gave a brief summary of the suits on displayed. Mysteriously, the program listed the GFW King Seasar suit as one of the supposed suits on display, but it was oddly absent in the exhibit....strange. :? Maybe it fell apart in transit...who knows :?: I know it gets crapped on, but I kinda liked it...it was an odd, crazy looking suit that I would have loved to have seen up close.

Here's a still from the program listing King Seesar as part of the exhibit:

GojiGuy02
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojiGuy02 »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:
GojiGuy02 wrote:Anguirus' neck looks like it's trying to form a double chin in the second pic XD

That was a display at the entrance of the exhibit.

One interesting note is that I bought a "program" for $10 the gave a brief summary of the suits on displayed. Mysteriously, the program listed the GFW King Seasar suit as one of the supposed suits on display, but it was oddly absent in the exhibit....strange. :? Maybe it fell apart in transit...who knows :?: I know it gets crapped on, but I kinda liked it...it was an odd, crazy looking suit that I would have loved to have seen up close.

Here's a still from the program listing King Seesar as part of the exhibit:
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81 ... 0cb73e.jpg
Maybe he started to deteriorate and they had to restore him :?:
By looking at GMK Mothra and GFW Baragon, I can tell that the heisei suits probably aren't that good looking anymore :cry:
What condition were the heisei suits by the way?
Vatarian wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:
Vatarian wrote: Bullshit. Spacegodzilla stomps and you know it.
How does SpaceGodzilla stand any chance at all? It's obvious SpaceGodzilla is the victor here.
Prove it. Spacegodzilla's feats are MILES above Spacegodzilla's, and don't even try the "outlier" route.
Resized Image

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

GojiGuy02 wrote: Maybe he started to deteriorate and they had to restore him :?:
By looking at GMK Mothra and GFW Baragon, I can tell that the heisei suits probably aren't that good looking anymore :cry:
What condition were the heisei suits by the way?
Sorry for the late reply, I have now just noticed this post.

Actually, all of the Heisei suits on display (G Junior, Little Godzilla, Space Godzilla, G 94, and Mogera) looked to be in pretty good shape for the most part, but only G Junior was available to have your photo taken with (sadly, my photos of G JR along with a few others magically disappeared when I downloaded photos from my iphone to my pc :| ) Not sure why.