Any surviving showa suits?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Breakdown
Keizer

Re: Any surviving showa suits?

Post by Breakdown »

Yeah I am as well. I'm happy the Showa Mechagodzilla suit in its entirety is still around. It probably had to be restored a bit but it's in remarkable condition.

I really hope they take care of that suit, as its probably the only surviving one from the Showa era that's completely intact.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Does anybody know if the Hedorah suit survived? Information on its current status is very obscure.

EDIT: I also haven't read every page of this thread, so if this was already talked about let me know.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Monster Zero wrote:A BIG THREAD BUMP IS INCOMING!!! Okay. So, it's been a while since anyone posted in this thread and I have some cool images to share!
Not completely sure how recent this image is but it is indeed the stop motion prop from KKvG! I'm gonna guess this image was taken around 2014-2015.
Did they re-use this same prop in the next film?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Also as the OP of the thread, can I request the thread be renamed to encompass suits from all eras as well as being moved to General Toho?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I have the same opinion, this thread should be renamed and moved.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Spoiler:
'66 Godzilla head!
A little prop from Gorath!
Not Showa, but the 1954 half-suit from GxMG!
Destroyah's hands!
What looks like to be pieces of a tank prop from Gojira!
Spoilered for the size of the images!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

BlueGojira wrote:Does anybody know if the Hedorah suit survived? Information on its current status is very obscure.
I'm sure it's "current status" is that it rotted away, decades ago; just like most of the Showa suits. Mechagodzilla 2 is the only full suit that's still completely intact. There are only parts of things (mostly claws, scales and teeth) that have survived from that time, with Godzilla' 66 and Kong '67's heads being the sole exceptions.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I would like to know how many suits were recycled into other Kaiju suits such as in the ultraman series etc. I'm not too familiar with them.. obviously Jirass was a Godzilla suit and I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing that the bargon suit was repurposed numerous times. I think I read somewhere the Kong suit was used in another film as well.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Goji wrote:
BlueGojira wrote:Does anybody know if the Hedorah suit survived? Information on its current status is very obscure.
I'm sure it's "current status" is that it rotted away, decades ago; just like most of the Showa suits. Mechagodzilla 2 is the only full suit that's still completely intact. There are only parts of things (mostly claws, scales and teeth) that have survived from that time, with Godzilla' 66 and Kong '67's heads being the sole exceptions.
Alright, that makes a lot of sense.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Monster Zero wrote:
Spoiler:
'66 Godzilla head!
A little prop from Gorath!
Not Showa, but the 1954 half-suit from GxMG!
Destroyah's hands!
What looks like to be pieces of a tank prop from Gojira!
Spoilered for the size of the images!
Wow, thanks! This has a lot of new material for this thread.

EDIT: Why would Destoro's hands be the only thing of the suit that survived? I just thought of it now and it's weird..

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Stevo_1985 wrote:I would like to know how many suits were recycled into other Kaiju suits such as in the ultraman series etc. I'm not too familiar with them.. obviously Jirass was a Godzilla suit and I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing that the bargon suit was repurposed numerous times. I think I read somewhere the Kong suit was used in another film as well.
The body of Kong '62 became Goro in episode 2 of Ultra Q, and was also used in the scene where Kong battles the sea serpent in Kong Kong Escapes (which would explain why the other Kong head looks so enormous on the body of the '62 suit) but both of those were both obviously still made in the '60s, so it was only a few years after it was used for King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Baragon's body was used for multiple Ultraman monsters in the original series, yes, but what's most bizarre is that Baragon's skull (made of fiberglass) was used for Hedorah's flying form.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

I believe in Ultra Q Gomess is also a modified Godzilla suit, not sure which though, also the monster Pagos looks a modified Baragon.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Magmavision2000
Ronin

Post by Magmavision2000 »

I think the mecha kong suit was found in a landfill and was fortunately grabbed and I also remember seeing the 1974 goji suit on a youtube video

EDIT: I am wrong about the mecha kong suit, but I still remember seeing the 1974 goji suit on youtube (probably the Mandela effect)
Last edited by Magmavision2000 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Magmavision2000 wrote:I think the mecha kong suit was found in a landfill and was fortunately grabbed and I also remember seeing the 1974 suit on a youtube video

EDIT: I am wrong about the mecha kong suit, but I still remember seeing the 1974 goji suit on youtube (probably the Mandela effect)
Actually back in the day, the man who created the Godzilla vs. The Wolfman fanfilm actually acquired the Mechanikong suit. There is a picture of it somewhere but I cannot find it. I believe he was given the suit and he had it built in his garage for a while. And as the the MG suit, the 1975 body still exists but it has the 74 head on it. Recently someone on YouTube called FilmToaster uploaded some footage and images of the MG suit being salvaged among other props. If I wasn't on mobile right now I could link the video and images easily. It's amazing how many showa props still exists and it excites me every time something new pops up.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Monster Zero wrote:
Magmavision2000 wrote:I think the mecha kong suit was found in a landfill and was fortunately grabbed and I also remember seeing the 1974 suit on a youtube video

Actually back in the day, the man who created the Godzilla vs. The Wolfman fanfilm actually acquired the Mechanikong suit. There is a picture of it somewhere but I cannot find it. I believe he was given the suit and he had it built in his garage for a while. And as the the MG suit, the 1975 body still exists but it has the 74 head on it. Recently someone on YouTube called FilmToaster uploaded some footage and images of the MG suit being salvaged among other props. If I wasn't on mobile right now I could link the video and images easily. It's amazing how many showa props still exists and it excites me every time something new pops up.
I remain ASTOUNDED that the Mechagodzilla suit still exists, if I ever get a chance to go to Japan I hope I can time it with when it's on display again so I can go see it. :)

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

All kinds of props still exist which I believe they have on display in some of the Godzilla stores (One of which may have the MG suit if I remember correctly. Another has a replica of the suit's head.)

Apgigan
Monsterland Worker

Post by Apgigan »

It isn't a Showa suit but does anyone know what happened to "Legaguirus"

Last edited by Apgigan on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

GTU wrote:I don't really think being one of the last Showa suits matters much given that GMK Goji looks like this:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... ndgmk9.jpg
Maybe. Maybe the suit got restored for that exhibition Toho did acouple years back.

Either way it recently looked like that and is only 15 years old by now.
That's what comes to my mind whenever I think about a battle-damaged Godzilla. Just imagine a fight between Godzilla and another Kaiju that makes them look like this.

Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Post by Erimaki Anguirus »

Yes, the showa Mechagodzilla is actually still in good condition. Toho sometimes shows it off at conventions and stuff. But little known fact there were two showa Mechagodzilla suits, one for GvMg and another for ToMg. Toho just combined the two suits to make the one we have today.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

I believe that the original Oxygen Destroyer and possibly Serizawa's (or Ogata's?) diving suit from '54 are still around. Of course everyone's mentioned the Showa Mechagodzilla suit, but as well as that the head of Titanosaurus still exists as well as a full-body puppet. (guignol, is that the proper Japanese word?)

There are of course many other great things you can find as well if you scour online. I've seen images of the remains of the '67 King Kong suit before that looked like they could've been taken anywhere from around the 1980s - pre2010s.
Last edited by EvaGhidorah01 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg