Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Piccolo
Ronin

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Piccolo »

GodzillavsJason wrote:Personally Katsura is the best human character since Daisuke Serizawa. Particurally because she fits the whole tragic persona of what the original was meant to be hence why I think Terror is the perfect finale of the showa. Since everything comes full circle.
I would agree that Katsura is a great character. The story of Dr. Mafune and Katsura makes this film and helps raise it above a typical monster battle movie.
Last edited by Piccolo on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Piccolo wrote:
GodzillavsJason wrote:Personally Katsura is the best human character since Daisuke Serizawa. Particurally because she fits the whole tragic persona of what the original was meant to be hence why I think Terror is the perfect finale of the showa. Since everything comes full circle.
I would agree that Katsura is a great character. In a way her and her father's story make this film and help raise it above a typical monster battle movie.
The two of them are key to the elegiac tone of the whole movie, and they in turn lend much greater depth to the characterization of Titanosaurus. The movie ends up being a tragedy in both its human drama and its monster action.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

eabaker wrote:
Piccolo wrote:
I would agree that Katsura is a great character. In a way her and her father's story make this film and help raise it above a typical monster battle movie.
The two of them are key to the elegiac tone of the whole movie, and they in turn lend much greater depth to the characterization of Titanosaurus. The movie ends up being a tragedy in both its human drama and its monster action.
That's probably why I consider TOMG the better movie over MechaGodzilla (though I find Mechagodzilla more rewatchable and "fun") - the Titanosaurus subplot * is ultimately better executed than the King Caesar subplot. There's a genuine dramatic parallel between Katsura's and Titanosaurus's imprisonment whereas with King Caesar most of the drama centers around the shifting possession of a statue.

* If you can call it that, I'd actually argue Titanosaurus drives the movie more than either Godzilla or Mechagodzilla.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Seeing as Titanosaurus sees much more action, yes. But on topic, both monster and girl have the same tragic tale; Their lives stolen and turned into pawns. I'd also say Dr. Mafune has a little drama himself. As things go on, it finally dawns on him what his obsession and hate have costs him. He loses the one thing he cares about most, and ironically, to satisfy his desire for MG to have a live brain.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The drama in this movie makes it better as the 'finale', as it's the first movie in the series to have drama on or close to the same level as Gojira since Gojira. Kind of ties the two together.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mechagigan wrote:The drama in this movie makes it better as the 'finale', as it's the first movie in the series to have drama on or close to the same level as Gojira since Gojira. Kind of ties the two together.
I think tonally it's a great finale for the series, but the fact that, as pointed out above, it's more a Titanosaurus movie than a Godzilla movie puts a weird spin on it. It's almost like the series has to acknowledge, "The world has changed, and the superhero Godzilla of the last few years just isn't the story we need anymore."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

eabaker wrote:I think tonally it's a great finale for the series, but the fact that, as pointed out above, it's more a Titanosaurus movie than a Godzilla movie puts a weird spin on it. It's almost like the series has to acknowledge, "The world has changed, and the superhero Godzilla of the last few years just isn't the story we need anymore."
The Titanosaurus thing is a fair point, but this was a thing since probably Invasion of the Astro-Monster. Godzilla was always the one saving the day, but wasn't the main monster of majority of his Showa movies, despite being in the titles of them (exceptions being Destroy All Monsters and maybe Godzilla vs. Gigan).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Israha wrote:
eabaker wrote:I think tonally it's a great finale for the series, but the fact that, as pointed out above, it's more a Titanosaurus movie than a Godzilla movie puts a weird spin on it. It's almost like the series has to acknowledge, "The world has changed, and the superhero Godzilla of the last few years just isn't the story we need anymore."
The Titanosaurus thing is a fair point, but this was a thing since probably Invasion of the Astro-Monster. Godzilla was always the one saving the day, but wasn't the main monster of majority of his Showa movies, despite being in the titles of them (exceptions being Destroy All Monsters and maybe Godzilla vs. Gigan).
But it's not just that the plot is motivated by the villains here (as it almost always must be), it's that we don't have the usual sense of anticipation around Godzilla's arrival. Most of those movies are about a monster which Godzilla must defeat; the emphasis is on them in order to build them up as threats to be overcome. Here, there is no thread of, "Godzilla will come to save the day." Godzilla is a narrative convenience or even obligation here, but he's not an element on which we can depend.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

eabaker wrote: But it's not just that the plot is motivated by the villains here (as it almost always must be), it's that we don't have the usual sense of anticipation around Godzilla's arrival. Most of those movies are about a monster which Godzilla must defeat; the emphasis is on them in order to build them up as threats to be overcome. Here, there is no thread of, "Godzilla will come to save the day." Godzilla is a narrative convenience or even obligation here, but he's not an element on which we can depend.
Well, that's completely true, you got me on that one. I was thinking, as a viewer: "Of course Godzilla is coming to save the day", but him doing so is never actually mentioned in the movie until he arrives. Point taken.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla's arrival is quite abrupt, but it made things easier for the screen writers. Rather than having to come up with clever ways to introduce Godzilla, they can have him show up and focus more on other plot points.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The German dub inserts some references to Godzilla over a PA during the Cafe scene IIRC.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The common American version has the whole Godzilla backstory in the intro, too, so that kind of builds him up.

About that whole introduction, despite how it's not really accurate, I like it. Again, it adds to the last installment-ness. Actually, I think the whole dub is pretty good (though I haven't seen it in a while, so I could be remembering wrong).

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Wasn't it the intention of the aliens to draw Godzilla out and weaken him using Titanosaurus? If I remember correctly, they had little regard for Titanosaurus and only wanted to remove the one true obstacle (Godzilla) in their way. The introduction added to the American version better established Godzilla's presence as the hero. And while I'm fond of said introduction, some new footage would have been much appreciated.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

I like the american intro, but I would have prefered it if they used footage from one of the early films like 1954 or 1962 to show Godzilla's rampage, then showed the 75 suit with new footage to show Godzilla as a hero instead of using stock footage from Astro Monster and Son of Godzilla, since those are different suits and films entirely. At least they could've shown more from vs Mechagodzilla while keeping the intro credits.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

They couldn't have shown footage from any other films, since Monster Zero and Revenge were the only other Godzilla films UPA owned.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The prologue is laughable and should remain as a supplemental curiosity instead of part of the main film. Doesn't help that all presentations of the UPA TV version suck to some degree.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:I like the american intro, but I would have prefered it if they used footage from one of the early films like 1954 or 1962 to show Godzilla's rampage, then showed the 75 suit with new footage to show Godzilla as a hero instead of using stock footage from Astro Monster and Son of Godzilla, since those are different suits and films entirely. At least they could've shown more from vs Mechagodzilla while keeping the intro credits.
Something along the lines of this?
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I first saw the dialogue opening this year, and I find the musical montage I've watched before much better.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Space Hunter M wrote:The prologue is laughable and should remain as a supplemental curiosity instead of part of the main film. Doesn't help that all presentations of the UPA TV version suck to some degree.
Opinions aside, definitely. It doesn't match the movie that well (as in, the movie doesn't need it), and it's inaccurate anyways.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Mechagigan wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:The prologue is laughable and should remain as a supplemental curiosity instead of part of the main film. Doesn't help that all presentations of the UPA TV version suck to some degree.
Opinions aside, definitely. It doesn't match the movie that well (as in, the movie doesn't need it), and it's inaccurate anyways.
While I haven't seen it in a minute, I don't remember it being that inaccurate. It's very much simplified version of Godzilla's path to becoming a hero.