Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #15: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by Mechagigan »

Godzillian wrote:So other scientists laughed at Dr. Mafune when he said he discovered Titanosaurs but why would they do that? Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and many other kaiju appeared before so why is it such a strange idea to them that another one might be living in the ocean?
Perhaps they thought the concept of a Human being, not an advanced extraterrestrial, controlling a giant monster remotely seemed too absurd to be accepted.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mechagigan wrote:
Godzillian wrote:So other scientists laughed at Dr. Mafune when he said he discovered Titanosaurs but why would they do that? Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and many other kaiju appeared before so why is it such a strange idea to them that another one might be living in the ocean?
Perhaps they thought the concept of a Human being, not an advanced extraterrestrial, controlling a giant monster remotely seemed too absurd to be accepted.
That seems even more absurd since it would pretty much solve the problem of kaiju rampaging around the world. Control them remotely and keep them away from civilization. Maybe that's how they got all the monsters on the island in Destroy All Monsters.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

ScrumpBump wrote:It also has one of my favorite Godzilla scenes of Godzilla charging through Mechagodzilla's assault. Godzilla just takes everything that his weapon rack of a doppelganger can give out before he get close enough to just freakin' brutalize him.
That's really one of the best Godzilla scenes of all time. It epitomizes his character as resilient and unstoppable - and it's been an image burnt into my brain ever since I first saw TOMG on TNT when I was six. It demonstrates the amazing aresenal of MG as well, and the SFX crews really knew how to blow things up good back then. ;)
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

That's the 1 thing that gets me. Watching King Kong vs Godzilla recently, it's the same thing; no one believe you when you say that there's a giant monster around but you know their real when Godzilla or Rodan attack Tokyo.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I think they just don't want to accept the truth.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i always figured that they mocked mafune out before kaiju were a thing. he seemed to be rather old, and as a scientist he'd have ample time to prove his case and get over it, but he spent his life in a rage about the situation --- so it's likely that he couldn't prove his case and instead constantly thought of revenge.

had kaiju been around as you all appear to be assuming, he would have likely been younger when he enacted the Titanosaurus deal/plan. alas, he was not, and so time rolls on.

either way, this is one of my top 5 favorite Godzilla flicks. oh thank all sorts of biblical figures that this is on netflix, because i can watch it all my life and never be bored.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

This movie. I love it so much. The atmosphere, the mood, Katsura and Ichinose's relationship, Mechagodzilla, and the music just make it my personal favorite.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

This is a top 3 Godzilla film for me. MG's destructive rampage is brilliant. I love Titanosaurus. Ikfukube's score, even though much is recycled, really makes this film come together.

It's not a perfect movie, but it's a ton of fun.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I have mixed feelings about the final entry of the Showa Era.

Positives:
Destruction of Tokyo
Final Showdown
Ikfukube's Music
Monsters

Problems:
Lack of Godzilla (though the surprisingly accurate opening montage somewhat makes up for it)
Acting (seems especially bad in this one)
Odd Matte Shots
Human Characters

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

kamilleblu wrote: Human Characters
The most original complaint this fine fandom has ever heard.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Space Hunter M wrote:
and when it comes to this particular film, one of the single most baseless complaints unless the person just did not like them. in that case, it's fine. if it had to do with bad acting or something, i'm probably going offline for a while....or at least until i can get a new laptop to replace the one i will throw at the wall.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Space Hunter M wrote:
I didn't really feel like typing then (and I still don't), though I'll try to explain. On paper Terror's characters seem like they could have been one of the greatest casts ever featured in a Godzilla film. Probably because relevant and interesting romantic relationships are something of a rarity in this franchise. However, almost everything on the human side of things feels so off to me. The cyborg, the hero, the scientist with the tarnished reputation, and the Black Hole Aliens (which are undermined by their ridiculous outfits). I'm going to blame the acting. In the campier entries, the characters were usually amusing to watch. But since this is much more serious and the acting isn't exactly up to par, it leaves me with a meh feeling. Though despite the shortcomings, the characters are still interesting.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

kamilleblu wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:
I'm going to blame the acting. Though despite the shortcomings, the characters are still interesting.
how is this...you think the acting in this one was bad? and they remained interesting?

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

three wrote: how is this...you think the acting in this one was bad? and they remained interesting?
Dude man, I'm just as confused as you are. There's something I like about them, though I remember not really liking a majority of the acting. Perhaps the characters were interesting, but the execution wasn't too great. Maybe it was the dub. Maybe I need to re-watch it.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

kamilleblu wrote:
three wrote: how is this...you think the acting in this one was bad? and they remained interesting?
Dude man, I'm just as confused as you are. There's something I like about them, though I remember not really liking a majority of the acting. Perhaps the characters were interesting, but the execution wasn't too great. Maybe it was the dub. Maybe I need to re-watch it.
i strongly suggest you do. this movie outranks most on my list of the best, not just because it has a ton of rewatch value for me, but because the characters are so entertaining. it's not just aliens, or some scientists and interpol agents. it's people who are having crises all over the screen, and it's entertaining as ever.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

kamilleblu wrote:Maybe it was the dub.
The second most original complaint the fandom has ever heard.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Space Hunter M wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Maybe it was the dub.
The second most original complaint the fandom has ever heard.
Why won't you love me, senpai?

Three:

Yeah, I might re-watch it this weekend. Though if my opinion on the humans doesn't change, at least I'll have some exciting monster action.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

Ugh the only reason I don't watch this film OVER AND OVER AND OVER on a weekend is because almost all of the versions I have ever had access to is of TERRIBLE quality.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

three
Keizer

Post by three »

he-ba wrote:Ugh the only reason I don't watch this film OVER AND OVER AND OVER on a weekend is because almost all of the versions I have ever had access to is of TERRIBLE quality.
it's on netflix, i believe. they also used to have GTTHM, and i think Godzilla's Revenge.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Saansilt wrote:It is on Netflix.
As is GRA
And GTTM
And GvMZ
And alot more.

I thought they removed most of these.