Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by gojira96 »

Happy anniversary Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla! 40 years on, this is still an awesome flick.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

eabaker wrote:Happy anniversary to my third-least-favorite Showa Godzilla film (second least-favorite of the 70s). :-)
Woo, yay! It's my third-least favorite as well! :)

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Definitely one of the best of the Showa era, Happy Birthday Mechagodzilla 8-)
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

eabaker wrote:Happy anniversary to my third-least-favorite Showa Godzilla film (second least-favorite of the 70s). :-)
I think this is the most I've ever disagreed with something I've seen you post on these boards.

I respect it, but I think your opinion is wrong.

Also, happy belated anniversary to this film, apparently.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:
I think this is the most I've ever disagreed with something I've seen you post on these boards.

I respect it, but I think your opinion is wrong.

Also, happy belated anniversary to this film, apparently.
Just to be clear, there are a few Showa movies that I think aren't objectively as good as GvsMG, but which I just happen to enjoy more.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

eabaker wrote:Just to be clear, there are a few Showa movies that I think aren't objectively as good as GvsMG, but which I just happen to enjoy more.
Well, different strokes. I enjoy GvsMG more than many (most, even) entries in the Showa series I realize are objectively better than it.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I liked the musical number for King Ceasar. Also because I think she is very cute. "Kiin guuu Ceeeeeeeasaaaaaar"

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

20th Century Boy wrote:
You guys are the first people I have met that actually dislike this movie!

Not that that's a bad thing, I respect everyone's opinion, but wow! That's new to me!
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

he-ba wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:

Not that that's a bad thing, I respect everyone's opinion, but wow! That's new to me!
I don't exactly dislike it. The music is great and there's a lot of fun to be had in the final battle. However, I did not care too much for the human parts of the movie and some of the violence kind of turns me off. It's a decent movie, but the majority of the Showa series is just so much better to me.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I see this movie as being GTTHM with better pacing. It mostly has to do with the human side of the story and how it is presented. We get a good deal of monster action at the beginning and end of the film, leaving the middle to be human centric. In GTTHM the monster action is all over the place, making the audience craving to see the monsters more.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

bobzilla84
Ronin

Post by bobzilla84 »

I fast forward through the king ceasar song
does Godzilla poop?

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

My brother and I tried to learn the words to the Caesar song.... then we found out it was in Japanese..... and then we just laughed our heads off

Every time I hear it I can't stop giggling!

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

he-ba wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:

Third-least-favorite of the Showa era =/= dislike. There are no Showa Godzilla movies that I dislike, not even Megalon (which is solidly my least-favorite of the lot).

I find Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla a basically entertaining movie from beginning to end, with a few bits that I really enjoy (like anytime Angilas is on screen), there's just not much about it that I find really special or distinctive. I love Mechagodzilla himself, but if I get an MG craving, Terror of Mechagodzilla is overall more up my alley. Like 20th Century Boy, I'm just not that into the human narrative on this one.

I like it, I just don't love it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

eabaker wrote: Third-least-favorite of the Showa era =/= dislike. There are no Showa Godzilla movies that I dislike, not even Megalon (which is solidly my least-favorite of the lot).

I find Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla a basically entertaining movie from beginning to end, with a few bits that I really enjoy (like anytime Angilas is on screen), there's just not much about it that I find really special or distinctive. I love Mechagodzilla himself, but if I get an MG craving, Terror of Mechagodzilla is overall more up my alley. Like 20th Century Boy, I'm just not that into the human narrative on this one.

I like it, I just don't love it.
Aaah Terror of Mecha-G.... My most favorite movie of all time

Mostly because of Titanosaurus, but it's dark and used to scare me as a kid, and ANY showa movie that I hated I love now..... well I love all of them, but I hated Godzilla Raids Again, Rodan, and Terror, and now they're my favorites.......but now I'm just rambling.........shut up..........these guys don't care........

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

''Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla'' was the first awesome Godzilla film since ''Godzilla vs Monster Zero'' and what's surprising is ''Terror of Mecha-Godzilla'' is actually better.

After a long line of average to shit Godzilla films, i'm surprised at how well these turned out.

The film starts out strong giving you Godzilla rising from the mountains going on his usual pissed off rant, shortly after you see the battle with Anguirus (very reminiscent) of Godzilla Raids again, only Anguirus get's brutally beaten. In a twist you find the real Godzilla appear and the finally the reveal (The suit catches on the flames and Mecha-Godzilla revealed) in all his glory with that awesome music by the way... The battle is short but Godzilla is wounded (Dunno how) and MG is damaged..

I could go on and on... But this film has solid characters, the action sequences are superb, The score is unique and fun, Godzilla is clearly outmatched and gave us the introduction of King Cesar (or however you spell it)

This should have been the films that came after Destroy all Monsters, audiences might still have a strong interest in the series and Terror of Mecha-Godzilla would have also been a lot more appreciated at the box office.

Funny i actually hated the Song used to awake Cesar as a kid, now i really don't mind it lol.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

I actually prefer this film to "Terror of Mechagodzilla".

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Terror of Mechagodzilla is arguably a better Godzilla movie, but I have a lot more fun with this one. Mechagodzilla is a far more impressive fighter here than in the follow-up, where he just stands in the background taking cheap shots at Godzilla. I like the human characters here, and Saeko is a lot cuter than Katsura.

I also like the King Seesar song more than I like the Jet Jaguar song, although not as much as the Godzilla song at the end of Godzilla vs. Gigan.

he-ba
Interpol Agent

Post by he-ba »

The only reason why I like Terror better is because of Titano- otherwise, I like them equally!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

gojira96 wrote:I actually prefer this film to "Terror of Mechagodzilla".
I think this is the better of the two by a long shot. I think it's a lot more successful at what it's going for, which is a big, jazzy, campy (yes, actually campy) spectacle.

Terror, to me, has always felt really unfocused, dirgy without reason and boring in long stretches. It feels quite grim, but unlike many of the earlier Showa films, even Honda's sillier ones, it hasn't much to say. I know it has its fans though.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Rodan wrote:
gojira96 wrote:I actually prefer this film to "Terror of Mechagodzilla".
I think this is the better of the two by a long shot. I think it's a lot more successful at what it's going for, which is a big, jazzy, campy (yes, actually campy) spectacle.

Terror, to me, has always felt really unfocused, dirgy without reason and boring in long stretches. It feels quite grim, but unlike many of the earlier Showa films, even Honda's sillier ones, it hasn't much to say. I know it has its fans though.

sometimes, i think we lose focus ourselves of exactly what a movie (or even a book) is about. nobody says it has to, or should have some hidden meaning or greater truth. sometimes i just want a good story.

in that regard, both GvsMG and ToMG deliver on every single front. there's not a ton they're trying to say, and personally i wouldn't change it for the world. that's how they work best, IMHO. (note: i'm not targeting you with any of this, but your post is what got me thinking of this stuff in general).

point being, there ain't a huge need for some sort of super deep secret message on human nature. the movies are good, or great (depending on you) on their own. :)
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.