Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by kamilleblu »

The budget limitations were double edged swords. The special effects are weaker than what they were in the "Golden Age," yet we probably would have been looking at a very different set of films and monsters.

And at least Toho realized they couldn't keep cutting the budget and stepped up their game for MechaGodzilla.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Even struggling against low budgets, Nakano managed to craft memorable, energetic effects sequences, with entertaining action, distinctive camerawork, and some incredible pyrotechnics.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

eabaker wrote:and some incredible pyrotechnics.
Oh yeah, that's for sure. The two Mechagodzilla films from the 70's were full of explosions, which I'm sure was a big reason they were so memorable, people love explosions! :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

eabaker wrote:Even struggling against low budgets, Nakano managed to craft memorable, energetic effects sequences, with entertaining action, distinctive camerawork, and some incredible pyrotechnics.
The fight in Godzilla vs. Megalon is an excellently edited, genuinely exciting sequence. It's four evenly matched bipedal creatures.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
eabaker wrote:and some incredible pyrotechnics.
Oh yeah, that's for sure. The two Mechagodzilla films from the 70's were full of explosions, which I'm sure was a big reason they were so memorable, people love explosions! :lol:
MechaGodzilla's beam spam during Godzilla's charge is one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise. Also, his city destruction scenes from ToM were also outstanding.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The huge barrage of explosions during the final fight in ToMG is just insane - I can't imagine how the entire set didn't burn down ten seconds later.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Space Hunter M wrote:If you can't enjoy all five '70s Godzilla movies we can't be friends.
I enjoy all of the 70's movies just fine, it's just this and ToMG were the two standouts of the five and redeemed the Godzilla series, albeit too late.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I love this movie, but I just find it funny that Godzilla spends half this movie turning into Magneto, only to show up in the sequel with no magnetic powers whatsoever.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's another instance of Godzilla pulling a trick out of his (metaphorical) hat. He did that alot in the 70s, from flying, tail sliding, and then his X Men impression.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

That's true. I also find it funny that they spend the whole movie looking for this legendary monster names King Seesar, only the have him show up and get his ass handed to him on a silver platter by MechaGodzilla. This showing how badass MechaGodzilla is.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Space Hunter M wrote:If you can't enjoy all five '70s Godzilla movies we can't be friends.
Our friendship is jeopardized by only one film...the remarkably boring Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

tymon wrote:
Our friendship is jeopardized by one film....the boring turd that is Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
Hedorah was one of my all time favorite Godzilla movies, just due to all the 70's weirdness, plus I really liked the final fight, thought the movie did really well with all the fights. It's certainly a film that sticks with you...

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

^^ This guy likes it because he can whip out the LSD with the guy in the bar and start seeing those fish masks and other strange things in a better perspective.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

eabaker wrote:In terms of excitement, it's got a good start, all the way through the first G/MG fight, but I find the mid section really monotonous and filler-y; there's a lot of action and running around, but none of it carries any real dramatic weight. It doesn't pick up for me again until the final battle, and even that doesn't really do much for me.
The whole part on the boat. while being entertaining, is such a waste.
I wonder why the guy struggled so hard to get the idol back?
He knew it was the fake, sure put up a little fight, if the bad guys took it to easily then they might be on to it being a fake.
But the guy keeps chasing him doing some pretty risky things to try and recover a fake idol.
Then after they reveal to the audience that the real one was in the ships safe and everything is fine, the next time we see the bad guys they know that the good guys still have the real idol and are on there way to the temple to fulfill the prophecy.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I really liked the final fight
You mean the entire second half of the movie? Hedorah does move fairly sluggishly during the Mt. Fuji part of the film, but the first 48 minutes are so good in the end it almost doesn't matter.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Space Hunter M wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:I really liked the final fight
You mean the entire second half of the movie? Hedorah does move fairly sluggishly during the Mt. Fuji part of the film, but the first 48 minutes are so good in the end it almost doesn't matter.
I agree, I liked ALL the fights with Hedorah, but I really enjoyed the battle at Mt. Fuji, I was always a fan of the long, all nighter fights (Like from Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Megalon)

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

You know what I find fun about this film? They decide on the year of Godzilla's 20th anniversary to have him fight a mirror of himself, such a fun way to celebrate (even if that wasn't the intent) 20 years of Godzilla.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Godzilla The King wrote:You know what I find fun about this film? They decide on the year of Godzilla's 20th anniversary to have him fight a mirror of himself, such a fun way to celebrate (even if that wasn't the intent) 20 years of Godzilla.
But, it was the intent. They claimed that Godzilla had "no one left to fight" for his 20th anniversary, and since they had made a robot Kong a few years before, why not create a Mecha-Godzilla to go toe-to-toe with the Big G for his anniversary.

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

Ah, I see. I could compare it further with the original by saying that there's a direct sequel just a year later before the franchise falls asleep for a few years but that might be streching a bit far.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla The King wrote:Ah, I see. I could compare it further with the original by saying that there's a direct sequel just a year later before the franchise falls asleep for a few years but that might be streching a bit far.
There we're getting into coincidence territory, of course, but still a neat coincidence!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.