Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by edgaguirus »

Since most of the invading aliens tend to look human or can disguise themselves well, it wouldn't be that hard to establish a presence on Earth. The hard part would be to discreetly create an operation center and giant robot. The amount of materials that had to be obtained likely raised some red flags, thus why Interpol was onto them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HillyHulk
Yuki Special

Post by HillyHulk »

HillyHulk wrote:This is my favorite of the Showa era. There are some questions about it,
Spoiler:
how did they make a doppelganger of Godzilla when they just got to the planet for the first time, for example,
but the buildup to the new kaiju (at that moment in time) were great (especially Mechagodzilla), and the fight scenes here were the best of the Showa era (especially the final battle). The "new" kaiju themselves were among my favorite antagonist and ally kaiju respectively with how unique the two were. The suits and special effects were good. Finally, the simple plot meant a lot of time was given to the kaiju, which is appreciated.
I forgot to mention this had one of my favorite soundtracks from the entire Godzilla series. It's just so darn funky!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I absolutely adore this one...its my personal favorite from the 70's.

I know it has it flaws...but its just so bright, colorful & creative with
some excellent kaiju fights & a jazzy soundtrack that shouldn't work...
but it does.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

This is my personal favorite Godzilla movie.

The plot is tense, the special effects are amazing, the acting and action sequences are really good, the score is outstanding, the monsters are incredible. That and the villains are really effective. Especially, their boss. It really is amazing just how powerful Mechagodzilla really is and how Godzilla and King Ceaser (who's really cool) even survived. There is nothing I don't like in this movie. I personally consider it to be a good blend of zany and violent. And the mixing of ancient legend with advanced technology really does blend well. And boy, is this movie violent!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Rhedosaurus wrote:This is my personal favorite Godzilla movie.

The plot is tense, the special effects are amazing, the acting and action sequences are really good, the score is outstanding, the monsters are incredible. That and the villains are really effective. Especially, their boss. It really is amazing just how powerful Mechagodzilla really is and how Godzilla and King Ceaser (who's really cool) even survived. There is nothing I don't like in this movie. I personally consider it to be a good blend of zany and violent. And the mixing of ancient legend with advanced technology really does blend well. And boy, is this movie violent!
Hear Hear!

:thumbsup:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Yeah, I think this one is my favorite of the 70s, too. Vs. Gigan has some strong nostalgia, and vs. Hedorah, I acknowledge the superior craftsmanship of (there is some really gorgeous- in an ugly way- work in that film)... but this is the one I enjoy the most, and would most readily re-watch.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:Yeah, I think this one is my favorite of the 70s, too. Vs. Gigan has some strong nostalgia, and vs. Hedorah, I acknowledge the superior craftsmanship of (there is some really gorgeous- in an ugly way- work in that film)... but this is the one I enjoy the most, and would most readily re-watch.
Seriously...I say we order a pizza, grab some beers (for everyone else)
& throw this one in the player for some fun 70's kaiju action.

:thumbsup:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Owing to geography, I think that will have to be quite some player to reach all of us. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:Owing to geography, I think that will have to be quite some player to reach all of us. ;)
Fair call Zarm...Fair call.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

This is a solid entry, but I think I enjoy Gigan more. I definitely like Terror of Mechagodzilla more. But honestly, when I think about it, I actually really enjoy all the 70's entries a hell of a lot. Megalon being the only one of actual "low" quality as far as I'm concerned.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:This is a solid entry, but I think I enjoy Gigan more. I definitely like Terror of Mechagodzilla more. But honestly, when I think about it, I actually really enjoy all the 70's entries a hell of a lot. Megalon being the only one of actual "low" quality as far as I'm concerned.
The 70's is my favorite era...& I'd rank the films...
1). vs. MechaGodzilla
2). vs. Hedorah
3). vs. Megalon
4). Terror of MechaGodzilla
5). vs. Gigan

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:This is a solid entry, but I think I enjoy Gigan more. I definitely like Terror of Mechagodzilla more. But honestly, when I think about it, I actually really enjoy all the 70's entries a hell of a lot. Megalon being the only one of actual "low" quality as far as I'm concerned.
1). vs. MechaGodzilla
2). vs. Hedorah
3). vs. Megalon
5). vs. Gigan
Is this a ranking of quality or your personal enjoyment?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:
Grievous wrote:
1). vs. MechaGodzilla
2). vs. Hedorah
3). vs. Megalon
5). vs. Gigan
Personal enjoyment...

Most (if not all) of my lists are based on personal enjoyment.

I'm not really qualified to rank any films on a quality basis.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Grievous wrote: The 70's is my favorite era...& I'd rank the films...
1). vs. MechaGodzilla
2). vs. Hedorah
3). vs. Megalon
5). vs. Gigan
Personal enjoyment...

Most (if not all) of my lists are based on personal enjoyment.

I'm not really qualified to rank any films on a quality basis.
Well, I mean. Sure you are. Granted, everything boils down to opinion but let me clarify what I mean.

American Psycho is my favorite film of all time. It's the film I enjoy above all others. But I wouldn't make the claim that it's the "best" or highest quality film. Something like that I would attribute to The Godfather or something akin to that. But, because I don't get the same enjoyment out of that, it's not my favorite.

So that's kinda what I mean. I wasn't sure if you were saying those movies are what you consider is the quality ranking of them, or just the order in which you personally enjoy them.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:American Psycho is my favorite film of all time.
Nice pick...
Maritonic wrote:It's the film I enjoy above all others. But I wouldn't make the claim that it's the "best" or highest quality film. Something like that I would attribute to The Godfather or something akin to that. But, because I don't get the same enjoyment out of that, it's not my favorite.

So that's kinda what I mean. I wasn't sure if you were saying those movies are what you consider is the quality ranking of them, or just the order in which you personally enjoy them.
Well...I understand the quality aspect is a debatable topic with any
film franchise...but I tend to focus on how a film makes me feel...
rather than what it looks & sounds like.

I appreciate a well made film...but...if it doesn't make me feel
anything then the technical issues don't matter to me.

Case & Point...Mad Max Fury Road made me feel...it made me care...
even through all the amazing visuals, stunts & completely insane
production design.

Without an emotional connection,...it may as well been a NASCAR race
set in a desert.

Another example is Suicide Squad...which not only looked like hot garbage
but it was also clearly edited by a group of chimps on crack.

Not only did I not care...but it was technically awful as well.

I guess I tend to give the Godzilla (& all kaiju) films a "free pass" as far
as the technical aspects go...although sometimes that is hard. The editing
& uneven effects in Terror of MechaGodzilla being an example of that.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:American Psycho is my favorite film of all time.
Nice pick...
Maritonic wrote:It's the film I enjoy above all others. But I wouldn't make the claim that it's the "best" or highest quality film. Something like that I would attribute to The Godfather or something akin to that. But, because I don't get the same enjoyment out of that, it's not my favorite.

Well...I understand the quality aspect is a debatable topic with any
film franchise...but I tend to focus on how a film makes me feel...
rather than what it looks & sounds like.

I appreciate a well made film...but...if it doesn't make me feel
anything then the technical issues don't matter to me.

Case & Point...Mad Max Fury Road made me feel...it made me care...
even through all the amazing visuals, stunts & completely insane
production design.

Without an emotional connection,...it may as well been a NASCAR race
set in a desert.

Another example is Suicide Squad...which not only looked like hot garbage
but it was also clearly edited by a group of chimps on crack.

Not only did I not care...but it was technically awful as well.

I guess I tend to give the Godzilla (& all kaiju) films a "free pass" as far
as the technical aspects go...although sometimes that is hard. The editing
& uneven effects in Terror of MechaGodzilla being an example of that.
I'd say that even an "objective" (in so far as such a thing is possible, which some people on this board dramatically overestimate, though none currently involved in this conversation) analysis of how "good" a movie is should (and, for most critics, mostly does) start with how it made them feel, and works back from there to figure out what conceptual, structural and stylistic choices evoked that response.

So, taking your Fury Road example (not that I've seen the movie), that emotional connection is at least as essential to its being called a good movie as the visuals, stunts and production design.

I'm a big believer, though, in the idea that style and substance should not be treated as two separate elements of storytelling, though. If they can be disentangled, if the story and the style are two separate elements, then that story has not been told in a way that suits it.

I thought I had a point when I started typing, but if I did, I've long since lost track of it.

Anyway, Mechagodzilla is in fourth place for me among the 70s flicks, but that's less a criticism of this movie and more a statement of just how much I connect to Hedorah, Gigan and Terror of Mechagodzilla in terms of both story and style. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Man, it's still somewhat staggering to me how brutal the fight is between MechaGodzilla and Anguirus. Anguirus gets one single hit in and then MG just beats the living shit out of him. And the eyes on the Godzilla suit looking upward really adds an extra layer of oof to the shot of MechaGodzilla breaking his jaw. It's a great fuckin scene.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

HillyHulk wrote:.There are some questions about it,
Spoiler:
how did they make a doppelganger of Godzilla when they just got to the planet for the first time, for example,
Terror of MechaGodzilla had the scene when Katsura is electrocuted and the black hole aliens saved her out of nowhere, its implied to take place years before ToMG, given how Malfune didn't have grey hair yet. Which would also imply that the Black hole aliens were actually on earth since the early 60s, and witnessed/studied every battle Showa G had since he reemerged in King Kong vs Godzilla.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Billzilla1974 wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:.There are some questions about it,
Spoiler:
Terror of MechaGodzilla had the scene when Katsura is electrocuted and the black hole aliens saved her out of nowhere, its implied to take place years before ToMG, given how Malfune didn't have grey hair yet. Which would also imply that the Black hole aliens were actually on earth since the early 60s, and witnessed/studied every battle Showa G had since he reemerged in King Kong vs Godzilla.
Damn. I never really thought about that...

Those Simians were sneaky buggers.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I actually really like that which sort of makes MechaGodzilla feel even more like the final enemy of the Showa series

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu