Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by Godzillian »

So why did Mechagodzilla stop using the yellow "atomic breath" after the aliens gave up the fake Godzilla plan?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maybe it was either a component of the disguise, or did less damage than the other weaponry it could wield once released?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Godzillian wrote:So why did Mechagodzilla stop using the yellow "atomic breath" after the aliens gave up the fake Godzilla plan?
Godzilla was able to endure the beam with no real visible pain or damage, it doesn't seem as concentrated as the eye beams or cross attack beam, so the aliens probably realized it wouldn't be much help against Godzilla .

Something that bothers me is that MechaGodzilla apparently has an "unused" destro-fire attack, and his "yellow heat ray", I feel like these attacks are actually the same, since there aren't any stats about the yellow heat ray, not even in the character analysis.
Showa G would have great durability if he could endure a ray as hot as the Heisei Godzilla's 500,000 degrees.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Who knows what the in-universe answer is, but the real answer is that the beam was used to make MG appear more Godzilla-like while in disguise, and once the disguise was gone, it was one less optical effect to add to the film's budget.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Goji wrote:Who knows what the in-universe answer is, but the real answer is that the beam was used to make MG appear more Godzilla-like while in disguise, and once the disguise was gone, it was one less optical effect to add to the film's budget.
Yeah, but still, with all the info available about the other weapons MechaGodzilla had, you'd think adding details about one more beam wouldn't be a problem.
Extra THICC!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Purely an aesthetic choice. The yellow beam was just to show that Godzilla was slightly off, and also used to distinguish the beam from the real Godzilla's before the reveal.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Billzilla1974 wrote:
Goji wrote:Who knows what the in-universe answer is, but the real answer is that the beam was used to make MG appear more Godzilla-like while in disguise, and once the disguise was gone, it was one less optical effect to add to the film's budget.
Yeah, but still, with all the info available about the other weapons MechaGodzilla had, you'd think adding details about one more beam wouldn't be a problem.
I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "all the info available"? And by "you'd think adding details about one more beam wouldn't be a problem", are you suggesting that because they already went all out with all of the MG's other optical effects, that you're surprised they couldn't add one more? You'd be surprised the things that these productions do to save money, man. Like I said, it's one less thing for them to have to animate/pay for. It being Godzilla 20th's anniversary, they had a little more $ to work with, but even the smallest amount of money saved, is money saved.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Goji wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:
I'm not sure I follow. What do you mean by "all the info available"? And by "you'd think adding details about one more beam wouldn't be a problem", are you suggesting that because they already went all out with all of the MG's other optical effects, that you're surprised they couldn't add one more? You'd be surprised the things that these productions do to save money, man. Like I said, it's one less thing for them to have to animate/pay for. It being Godzilla 20th's anniversary, they had a little more $ to work with, but even the smallest amount of money saved, is money saved.
You might want to re-read my comments again. :lol:

I meant that nobody gave any description on the "yellow flame breath" in any book/media depiction over the years, whereas the other beams/weapons are given descriptions, even minimal ones.
As far as I know even Tanaka never wrote anything about this power despite giving every other one a description.

I wasn't talking about the fact that they didn't use the yellow flame breath in the final battle, you think I don't know about the financial difficulties of the later half of the Showa Era?
I was talking about how it's strange that even unused powers such as "Destro-fire" or the "unisot" have gotten info written about them but the "yellow heat ray" has no info about it whatsoever, so I assume that "Destro-fire" and the yellow heat ray are one and the same.
Extra THICC!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I didn't understand the context. Your response was specifically about information in books, which wasn't clear.

Are you 100% certain it's not talked about in any books? Because there are a lot of them.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Goji wrote:I didn't understand the context. Your response was specifically about information in books, which wasn't clear.

Are you 100% certain it's not talked about in any books? Because there are a lot of them.
Since I don't own any of the Godzilla books that would reference monster powers, and I can't translate, no I'm not 100% sure, but in the years that I've looked for Godzilla info online, no site i have visited ever commented on the ray. If there was some info about the yellow heat ray, i would've expected someone to have put it in the monster bio or character analysis by now.
(also someone made an error on the Character analysis page, MechaGodzilla only had 4 fingers per hand not 5.)
Extra THICC!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

"No site has ever commented on the ray" because Toho Kingdom is probably the only place that uses actual information presented in books, and other reference material as it's source. Who knows how janky any other Godzilla devoted website would be; if there are even others that cover this sort of thing in as much detail.

There are an insane amount of Japanese Godzilla books out there, just waiting to be translated by those that are willing and able to do so. Either MG's beam has (somehow) never been talked about, or it's covered in something that hasn't yet been translated by TK's staff/contributors, or the community. It's silly to assume that we already know everything, with there being so much reference material out there to go over.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

This scene here (where Godzilla gets powered up by lightning)

Is that supposed to be Monster Island that he's on?

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I always assumed Godzilla was on the remnants of Monster Island in that scene after it was devastated at the beginning of the previous film. I've never seen confirmation about it anywhere though.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Billzilla1974 wrote:
Goji wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote: Yeah, but still, with all the info available about the other weapons MechaGodzilla had, you'd think adding details about one more beam wouldn't be a problem.
You might want to re-read my comments again. :lol:

I meant that nobody gave any description on the "yellow flame breath" in any book/media depiction over the years, whereas the other beams/weapons are given descriptions, even minimal ones.
As far as I know even Tanaka never wrote anything about this power despite giving every other one a description.

I wasn't talking about the fact that they didn't use the yellow flame breath in the final battle, you think I don't know about the financial difficulties of the later half of the Showa Era?
I was talking about how it's strange that even unused powers such as "Destro-fire" or the "unisot" have gotten info written about them but the "yellow heat ray" has no info about it whatsoever, so I assume that "Destro-fire" and the yellow heat ray are one and the same.
Rewatching the yellow flame breath makes the same sound effect as the eye beams. So the simplest explanation is it is the eye beams modified by the disguise. So Mechagodzilla is actually looking out the mouth like a costume when disguise as Godzilla and that part of the disguise made the eye beams appear more like Godzilla breath, once the disguise is gone it is no longer needed to be modified and the eye beams are released at full strength.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

szmigiel wrote: Rewatching the yellow flame breath makes the same sound effect as the eye beams. So the simplest explanation is it is the eye beams modified by the disguise. So Mechagodzilla is actually looking out the mouth like a costume when disguise as Godzilla and that part of the disguise made the eye beams appear more like Godzilla breath, once the disguise is gone it is no longer needed to be modified and the eye beams are released at full strength.

"The yellow flame breath makes the same sound effect as the eye beams." Except they don't make the same sound:
The eye beam sound starts at 20 seconds while the "yellow heat ray" sound starts at about 45 seconds in the video, they are clearly different.
My assumption is that due to how large the fake Godzilla's head is, Mechagodzilla's nose would be at the roof of the mouth, so that would be where the ray came from, hence why I'm assuming the "Destro-fire" is the same as the Yellow beam.
The aliens realized the yellow heat ray wasn't doing anything to Godzilla (at most it seemed to surprise him) so they stopped using it.
Extra THICC!

Ron Burton
Ronin

Post by Ron Burton »

This movie is one of my favorites in the series! I vividly remember watching it under the title GODZILLA VS. BIONIC MONSTER at the theater in late December of 1976. Every written source lists it as having been released in the USA in March of 1977 but that's not true. I miss those days when a Godzilla movie could get a theatrical release.

GojiraGuy2016
GPN Volunteer

Post by GojiraGuy2016 »

Not to forget the great Basil Gogos who made such a beautiful artwork for FAMOUS MONSTERS. Still can't believe he isn't living anymore.... :(

Ron Burton
Ronin

Post by Ron Burton »

I wasn't aware until some time later that the film had been retitled COSMIC MONSTER. It was in the latter half of 1979 when I read that info regarding the threat of a lawsuit in the first issue of Fangoria, which was originally to have been called "Fantastica". In 1978, there was a magazine, long since gone, called "Space Wars" which ran an article called "Giant Monsters vs. Alien Invaders" that mentioned MECHA GODZILLA'S REVENGE as having been completed and, sure enough, it played in theaters that year as THE TERROR OF GODZILLA.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

As a kid, I actually had both the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster cuts of the movie on VHS - the latter my parents picked up at a department store, and later we found the former at a video rental store. I noted the differences immediately at the time, and it was my first introduction to the concept of "alternate cuts" of movies. I remember being surprised to find that Mechagodzilla was Cosmic Monster but with extra scenes...I quickly figured out that "Mechagodzilla" must be the actual movie and "Cosmic Monster" some sort of shortened version, but at first didn't understand why somebody would do that. I didn't learn about Americanizations and localizations until a few months later when I discovered G-Fan and read about the idea there.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

The best, most energetic 70s movie. Love the blood, the surprisingly realistic human fight scenes, and the absurdity of the King Caesar song (also the slight edginess of the Okinawa guardian angle).