Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by g2vd »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Also, the film portrays the boat in a rather nice light. The boat is always show at a pretty sunset or day, the crew shown to be nice, allowing passengers to store their belongings in the ships safe, there is food to eat, pretty views, comfortable cabins, etc. Plus, the boat is always accompanied by pretty music, so that's a bonus!
Damn, now I want to buy that boat…
Must buy boat…
Too bad, Trump already bought it :D .
Godzilla

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I found a website detailing some info about the ship. Sadly, it was scrapped in 2004
http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2014/ ... r.html?m=1

On the other hand, I also found a page about the ship which replaced it.
http://ftanka.net/fune/
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Too bad the ship is no longer around. It would have been nice to take a cruise on it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

One thing I noticed is that, in a few shots, a ferry from another line "Sunflower Sapporo", is used.

Bizarrely however, the boat that is in the movie appears to be the same boat that appears later, only painted with a giant sun on the side of it for one shot.
HayesAJones wrote:

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

The Interpol guys were awesome
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

devkpear1@
Ronin

Post by devkpear1@ »

i wonder when this movie will be coming back into print. im glad i bought godzilla vs. mechagodzilla and son of godzilla back in 2010 so i didnt have to pay 200 freaking dollars for an unused copy.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

I'm curious, where exactly does the opening to the film, with Anguirus in the snowy location, take place? I've heard people say it's Siberia, I've heard it's in Hokaido, I've heard people say it's at Mt. Fuji, and I've even heard people say it's Monster Island? Can anyone say where it's supposed to be set?

Also, during this scene, what is the professors pipe made out of? I can't figure out what the dialogue says during the scene.
HayesAJones wrote:

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote: Also, during this scene, what is the professors pipe made out of? I can't figure out what the dialogue says during the scene.
Astronakron.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Space Hunter M wrote: Astronakron.
Ah, thank you!
HayesAJones wrote:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So after rewatching the movie, I've noticed that surprisingly, before MechaG started using his missiles, King Caesar was handling MG far better than Anguirus and Godzilla did earlier in the film.
Fake Godzilla stomps the hell out Anguirus, no contest, then Godzilla vs. Fake Godzilla was pretty evenly matched, until Fake Godzilla shed his skin and both lost due to the beam battle, so up until then, no monster had really managed to do much against MG until Caesar was awakened.
But after the missiles were used, he just got his ass whooped bad :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Rewatched this today and it... felt like a different film than I'd remembered, somehow. I know in my first viewings for a lot of these movies, I very much ignored human scenes in favor of monster scenes, but if I didn't actually know better, I'd insist to you that King Caesar had originally shown up much earlier in the film. It does feel like the cast is a little bigger than it needed to be to accommodate the actual story, which hinders the individual characters from being more developed. The monster scenes are all fine and good though.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

The only damn film from Showa that eludes me, cause some asshole keeps selling them in bulk for over 300 dollars.

Added in 5 minutes 36 seconds:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Monster Zero wrote:I always thought it looked horrible in Gigan, especially the water scenes.
There were two suits, one that could move its mouth, and one that couldn't, the one you see in the water couldn't open its mouth
Same suit, actually.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Nope. The Anguirus suit used for water scenes in Gigan was actually a different suit. This was confirmed in either Steve Ryfle's book or G-Fan, years ago. (I just can't remember specifically where). The giveaway is the head, which doesn't move at all.

Anyways, If you've somehow never managed to see this film, just buy the Blu-Ray set for Godzilla against Mechagodzilla/GMK. The digital version of GxMG is mistakenly the 1974 film.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Goji wrote:Anyways, If you've somehow never managed to see this film, just buy the Blu-Ray set for Godzilla against Mechagodzilla/GMK. The digital version of GxMG is mistakenly the 1974 film.
....My digital copy is of Against Mechagodzilla, so i'm assuming it must be dependent on where you redeem the digital copy.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Or, it was just corrected in later releases. I got the disc from Amazon the week it was released, and gave the digital copy to friend, who then was surprised to find out it was the '74 film. I can't recall where he redeemed it.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LamangoKaijura wrote:The only damn film from Showa that eludes me, cause some asshole keeps selling them in bulk for over 300 dollars.
Pick up a VHS copy on eBay or the Amazon marketplace. Assuming you're in the US, that's the cheapest and easiest solution.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Terasawa wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:The only damn film from Showa that eludes me, cause some asshole keeps selling them in bulk for over 300 dollars.
Pick up a VHS copy on eBay or the Amazon marketplace. Assuming you're in the US, that's the cheapest and easiest solution.
I have the VHS. But it's in storage right now. With the other Godzilla VHS tapes.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
I have the VHS. But it's in storage right now. With the other Godzilla VHS tapes.
Buy it on vudu. That's where i have my copy of it. Yeah its digital, but better than $300 for a dvd.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Somethings REALLY been bugging me. You know how King Caesar is a Shisa Guardian Temple dog? You know the common Japanese folklore surrounding those? There should be two at all times. Why wasn't there two King Caesar? :?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Budget, I would imagine. They didn't have the money for two KC suits.

Besides, the prophecy says that two monsters will save the Earth. It was obvious that Godzilla was going to be part of the climactic fight, so there was only one KC.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.