Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I can't stand watching Anguirius get his jaw busted. I mean I know he survived and if we call Destroy All Monsters the last movie then his jaw came back better than ever. It's just such a harsh total defeat for one of my favorites.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

That was a rather brutal but it did show how much of a threat MG is in the movie. Even into the final battle, he dominated the battle.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Giga Kaiju wrote:That was a rather brutal but it did show how much of a threat MG is in the movie. Even into the final battle, he dominated the battle.
Yeah, one on one, he's undefeatable. He beat Anguirus, Godzilla, and King Caesar... Showa MG is best MG :huge:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

One of my favorites overall kaiju/mech easily. It shows how much a danger he is not only to other monsters but to the world.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh yeah I totally agree it was a great way to show Mechagodzilla as a threat. Just on a personal level, I mean Anguiruis already looked pretty dazed and out of it only for a real nasty coup de grace. Angurius needs to win another fight or two.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Monster Zero wrote: Thanks for clearing that up with me.
No prob, I always thought it was pretty cool that they showed Anguirus at the very beginning, alive and well, then they sprinkle hints that he's moving around underground, then he pops up, puts up the good fight, claiming he appeared to "make a call to Godzilla".
They handled Anguirus's last outing really well, IMO.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

And his suit was very cool. Seemed like a new suit made for the movie. (Not sure if the case, byt if not, then that suit surely stood the test of time...)

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Giga Kaiju wrote:And his suit was very cool. Seemed like a new suit made for the movie. (Not sure if the case, byt if not, then that suit surely stood the test of time...)
I think it was the same suit from previous entries, they just removed his larger teeth.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Dang. Then that suit was greatly preserved considering what that one had to endure. DAM-GIGAN-MG.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Giga Kaiju wrote:Dang. Then that suit was greatly preserved considering what that one had to endure. DAM-GIGAN-MG.
It was used in Megalon too

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I always thought it looked horrible in Gigan, especially the water scenes.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Monster Zero wrote:I always thought it looked horrible in Gigan, especially the water scenes.
There were two suits, one that could move its mouth, and one that couldn't, the one you see in the water couldn't open its mouth

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Monster Zero wrote:I always thought it looked horrible in Gigan, especially the water scenes.
There were two suits, one that could move its mouth, and one that couldn't, the one you see in the water couldn't open its mouth
Oh.... Shows how much I know :lol: Thanks for clearing that up with me.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

So, I noticed when Mechagodzilla kicks King Caesar into that ditch(?), after Godzilla appears and as KC starts crawling out, you can see a flap openend in the back above the tail revealing a red shirt, so something red inside the suit.

And I noticed when MG uses his all weapon assualt, he has a flame breath, cool shit, cool shit

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Yep, it's definetly there. Looks to me like a rip or tear along the suits zipper.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I think this is my favorite Masaru Satō score, and one of my favorite scores out of the series. Love its upbeat, energetic style.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

I remember hearing that this film got funding from the boat company that owns the Coral Queen Ferry. Is that true? It would make sense considering a good-sized section of the film takes place onboard, and the boat even appears on the films poster.
HayesAJones wrote:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Well, movies are one way to advertise and get people to see your product, or service, in this case.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Also, the film portrays the boat in a rather nice light. The boat is always show at a pretty sunset or day, the crew shown to be nice, allowing passengers to store their belongings in the ships safe, there is food to eat, pretty views, comfortable cabins, etc. Plus, the boat is always accompanied by pretty music, so that's a bonus!
HayesAJones wrote:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Also, the film portrays the boat in a rather nice light. The boat is always show at a pretty sunset or day, the crew shown to be nice, allowing passengers to store their belongings in the ships safe, there is food to eat, pretty views, comfortable cabins, etc. Plus, the boat is always accompanied by pretty music, so that's a bonus!
Damn, now I want to buy that boat…
Must buy boat…