Seven Samurai (1954)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
tymon
Futurian

Re: Seven Samurai (1954)

Post by tymon »

I loved this film when I first saw it, and immediately considered it my favorite. But the more I watch it, the more I'm bored with it. There really aren't that many nuances that can be picked up through multiple viewings, to my experience at least.

Also, I know most disagree, but I think the film could've benefited from a good fifteen minutes chopped off. Some scenes drag and others just don't seem that important to the characters or narrative. Still, it's a remarkable film, and I really need to check out some more Kurosawa (I think I'll watch Ikiru next).
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Every time I watch it, I pick up on new camera and editing choices that really excite me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^I was actually referring more to story and theme - the cinematography played a big part in keeping my attention the last time I watched it. It's a visual masterpiece, no doubt, and can lend itself to a lot of viewings in that regard.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

^Gotcha. I guess what brings me back again and again is looking at the ways that visual style contribute to story and theme. "Oh, the decisuion to use a long lens here results in Rikichi remaining grouped with the farmers even as he's trying to separate himself from them" kinda stuff.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Indeed!

So I caught a few snippets of this on TCM with my girlfriend the other night (apparently they showed The Magnificent Seven too beforehand, but I was at work so I didn't catch it. Still really want to see that one), including the final fifteen minutes. Made me want to watch the film again, so popped in the Criterion tonight - for some reason I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more this time than I did the last few times, like, WAY more. I'm about 3/4ths the way through and I'm just glued to the friggin screen. I still think some scenes could be chopped down just a tiny bit but...no, fuck no. The photography, direction and editing all flow together like water, so to mess with any of that would be a grave sin.

Odd how opinions shift.

Still haven't seen any of his other work. I'm thinking Ikiru next, then Yojimbo and Sanjuro.

Markkyss
Young Farmer

Post by Markkyss »

Japanese period adventure drama film co-written, edited, and directed by Akira Kurosawa. The film takes place in 1587 during the Warring States Period of Japan. It follows the story of a village of farmers that hire seven masterless samurai (ronin) to combat bandits who will return after the harvest to steal their crops.

Undertaker Goji
Monarch Researcher

Post by Undertaker Goji »

I think this was one of the first Akira Kurosawa films I ever saw, and I'm glad I did. There's something about his films that just makes them interesting, even without excessive action scenes. This is definitely one of my favorite Kurosawa movies; I can watch the whole thing without getting bored. It's a very honest film; the samurai each have their own faults and certainly aren't portrayed as the invincible, near immortal beings that sometimes appear in pop culture. The farmers are very real characters as well. All of the apparent symbolism in the movie is quite interesting as well.

Definitely one of my favorite Kurosawa movies (I'd say Yojimbo might be at the top for me). But really, many of his movies are very good. Ran and Kagemusha were pretty good as well.
"You can call this the new world order of professional wrestling brother!"
-Hulk Hogan, WCW Bash at the Beach 1996
Godzilla21 wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:Wow. The last few pages have been interesting. Ranging from Mssr. French calling people who missed out on a piece & those who bought a re-paint 'dumb skreeonks' to GTU suggesting commando hit squads should take out scalpers. What a day... :lol:
Welcome to another day in the TK SHMA thread.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I rented this back when I was a junior in high school. Loved it. It never felt as long as it actually was. The humanity of numerous scenes just really hit home, even at a time that I was more interesting in fight choreography than the story accompanying it. I need to rewatch it.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I wish the dubbed version still existed.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Space Hunter M wrote:I wish the dubbed version still existed.
I'd like to see that, just for the sheer strangeness of having someone else's voice come out of Toshiro Mifune's mouth. But when acting is that good, the only way you as a viewer can do it justice is to see it in it's native language.

Undertaker Goji
Monarch Researcher

Post by Undertaker Goji »

Kaiser wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:I wish the dubbed version still existed.
I'd like to see that, just for the sheer strangeness of having someone else's voice come out of Toshiro Mifune's mouth. But when acting is that good, the only way you as a viewer can do it justice is to see it in it's native language.
The idea of someone else's voice coming out of Toshiro Mifune's mouth disturbs me...

On a side note, how awesome would it have been to have Mifune act in a Godzilla movie?
"You can call this the new world order of professional wrestling brother!"
-Hulk Hogan, WCW Bash at the Beach 1996
Godzilla21 wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:Wow. The last few pages have been interesting. Ranging from Mssr. French calling people who missed out on a piece & those who bought a re-paint 'dumb skreeonks' to GTU suggesting commando hit squads should take out scalpers. What a day... :lol:
Welcome to another day in the TK SHMA thread.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Undertaker Goji wrote:The idea of someone else's voice coming out of Toshiro Mifune's mouth disturbs me...

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Undertaker Goji wrote:On a side note, how awesome would it have been to have Mifune act in a Godzilla movie?
That would have been awesome...but what would have been even more awesome? An Akira Kurosawa written/directed Godzilla film.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

tymon wrote:
Undertaker Goji wrote:On a side note, how awesome would it have been to have Mifune act in a Godzilla movie?
That would have been awesome...but what would have been even more awesome? An Akira Kurosawa written/directed Godzilla film.
Didn't he express interest? I read that somewhere...

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I don't know if Kurosawa expressed interest or not, but I did read somewhere that Toshiro Mifune attended the premiere screening of Gojira and apparently enjoyed it.

As for Seven Samurai, I love this movie. Everything about it is done so well and it's incredible in terms of both its story and how it is shot. I don't understand how it hasn't yet received an English dubbed version (not that I would prefer it, but it would be cool to see). It's one of the best movies ever made and one of, if not the best Toho film in my opinion.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Creature22 wrote:I don't know if Kurosawa expressed interest or not, but I did read somewhere that Toshiro Mifune attended the premiere screening of Gojira and apparently enjoyed it.

As for Seven Samurai, I love this movie. Everything about it is done so well and it's incredible in terms of both its story and how it is shot. I don't understand how it hasn't yet received an English dubbed version (not that I would prefer it, but it would be cool to see). It's one of the best movies ever made and one of, if not the best Toho film in my opinion.
It's pretty much sacrilege to dub a movie with this much artistic merit which is why he won't ever recieve a contemporary dub. Your best bet is trying to find a old dub but those are exceedingly rare. Just watch it in its original language with subtitles.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I dare somebody to find an English Magnificent Seven print if any still exist.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Kaiser wrote:
Creature22 wrote:I don't know if Kurosawa expressed interest or not, but I did read somewhere that Toshiro Mifune attended the premiere screening of Gojira and apparently enjoyed it.

It's pretty much sacrilege to dub a movie with this much artistic merit which is why he won't ever recieve a contemporary dub. Your best bet is trying to find a old dub but those are exceedingly rare. Just watch it in its original language with subtitles.
Which is a notion I hate I don't see English dubs of foreign films as a bad thing really. By modern day lights dubbing is considered an insult to a film (which irks me tbh)
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

You know I've always preferred Kagemusha & Ran over Seven Samurai.

While every Kurosawa film I've seen has been fantastic...I just think
his later films in color allowed him to be more expressive & creative
as an artist & filmmaker.

I know Seven Samurai is a classic...but...still...my opinion stands.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

1956/57 U.S. release one-sheet poster.

Resized Image

Plus BoxOffice's review (Jan. 5, 1957) here.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.