Monster Discussin #7: Varan

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Discussin #7: Varan

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

KaijuFiend wrote:I really like Varan. It's a shame Toho doesn't, since he's been cut from basically everything. He needs an appearance in something where he has bearing on the plot. It's such a shame he didn't get that in DAM.
Same thing with Anguirus. :(
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:Same thing with Anguirus. :(
At least Anggy scrapped with Ghidorah in DAM and Godzilla in Final Wars, not to mention becoming Godzilla's sidekick throughout the late Showa series. I agree, both of our beloved, spikey-shelled monsters need more screentime. Varan just needs it a little more.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

KaijuFiend wrote:
Godzilla Lover101 wrote:Same thing with Anguirus. :(
At least Anggy scrapped with Ghidorah in DAM and Godzilla in Final Wars, not to mention becoming Godzilla's sidekick throughout the late Showa series. I agree, both of our beloved, spikey-shelled monsters need more screentime. Varan just needs it a little more.
I would LOVE to see Legendary tackle Varan. One can always hope.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Varan has it better that some of the other monsters. He has a film named after him. Monsters like Manda, Monster X, Kamacuras, Kamoebas, Biollante, Megaguirus, Megalon, Orga, and Battra were side characters/antagonists who really haven't had much of a chance to shine outside their introductory movie.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While true, it's more likely that people have seen the movies introducing Kamacura, Megalon, Biollante, Orga, Megaguirus, Battra, and Monster X. Varan's film is not often seen, and a film like SOG or G vs Biollante typically gets more attention.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

He's become a favorite of mine, wish he'd get a second chance. That and I honestly didn't think his movie was horrid either, I thought it was entertaining. Granted I've only seen the Japanese version...I have no plans to see the American version.
Resized Image

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Been a fan of the Unbelievable One since I read about him in Jeff Rovin's Encyclopedia of Monsters where it discussed how the scenes involving the Obake flying were omitted from the Stateside cut of the flick. Also there was a Godzilla Vs. Varan by George Thomas in an issue of G-FAN. Then one of my favorite takes on the Unbelievable One was the Random House Godzilla novel by Marc Cerasini, GODZILLA 2000 in which Varan pops up in the Gulf of Mexico, and proceeds to rampage from the Yucatan, to Galveston, Texas. Before finally being taken down by the military's G-Force division. A favorite scene in the book had Varan using an oil tanker as a resting spot on an oil tanker in the Gulf. Sadly we were deprived the return of Varan in the never released fifth installment, GODZILLA &THE LOST CONTINENT. We were teased in the end of the fourth book, GODZILLA Vs. THE ROBOT MONSTERS with a preview for the never released installment. Along with Godzilla, it looked like Varan had a part to play in the preview. Basically it involved a Coast Guard cutter investigating a distress call from a ranger station. Along the way they discovered that the local sea lion population was gone, and found a seaside community devastated. Then their search was halted by a sudden shadow falling across them. And that's where our collective tequila worms were left hanging. :?

According to the series' cover artist, Bob Eggleton, in one interview about working on the series, he mentioned an interesting thing about the storyline in the LOST CONTINENT. Varan was returning to the world featured in the novels, but he wasn't alone. Godzilla and the book's protagonists were supposed to be dealing with a whole pack of Varans. :shock:

Varan also seems to be second in the kaiju department to the one ,and only Bagan :bagan: in the "Always the bridesmaid, never the Bride." department when it comes to getting to the big screen. Although he got his chance in his debut film, and basically a cameo in Destroy All Monsters ! . But he's been denied a few times. The Return of King Ghidorah in which Godzilla, along with Rodan and Varan joined forces to battle King Ghidorah, Gigan, and Mogu. But Varan, Mogu, and Rodan were dropped ,and the flick evolved into the GODZILLA Vs.GIGAN know ,and love today. As many know Varan and Anguirus almost made their long awaited return in Shuseke Kaneko's GMK as one of the three Yamamoto Guardian Monsters, but was dropped for the much more sexier Mothra ,and King Ghidorah. I was hoping when news that Legendary was doing the Godzilla ,and it was announced that other monsters would be showing up for the party. I was hoping that Varan would be one of the other monsters we'd be seeing. Heck, with all the talk with KONG:Skull Island and some looking for King Kong to have a Big Bad to deal with on the Island. Although it's a slim chance in heck that any Toho kaiju will be showing up. Gorosaurus has been talked about. But I like the idear of Varan being his opponent. He has a distinct look to him with his translucent spines, and the wings stretching between his arms and legs. Varan was also the object of worship by the tribe in the region, like Kong was on his own island.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Nice trivia, dude.

Also, that gif anime.style, from where does that come from?
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Nice trivia, dude.

Also, that gif anime.style, from where does that come from?
Found it in an image search I did for Varan. There's another one featured a few pages back in the thread. And one of a jet fighter. I don't know the source, but if there's an anime flick I'd love to see it.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Nice. Thanks for answering anyway. Maybe some tribute in another anime with a direct reference of Varan, who knows.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Nice. Thanks for answering anyway. Maybe some tribute in another anime with a direct reference of Varan, who knows.
It's from an anime movie called Prefectural Earth Defense Force
http://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/art_sighting.htm
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

I knew that there was a mention of it in the sightings of the site. Nice to know though. One of the best references of kaiju in anime, easily.