Monster Discussin #7: Varan

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Discussin #7: Varan

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:If Gareth's team can aquire the rights to a Toho monster, it should be Varan. Hardly anybody knows who he is, he was in 1 movie, 1 cameo. Talk about needing love. :(
Agreed. Adding Varan would hopefully boost up his popularity, but knowing Toho, they would brag Gareth to add more popular ones like Ghidorah and Mothra just like how they bragged Kaneko to add them instead of Anguirus and Varan in GMK. :roll:

Toho are such money grabbers. Money, money, money. They never care about the fans.....

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Toho are such money grabbers. Money, money, money. They never care about the fans.....
Yes, quite evil of them. Trying to fulfill the purpose of a company and make a profit. How DARE THEY!
Well there are many companies that doesn't only do it for the money, but fans as well. Take DreamWorks for example. Notice how good their sequels are. (minus the Shrek sequels, which people don't like) Shows they care. Now if only Toho did the same thing.

This is off-topic though. So best we don't start.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GodzillaFan1992 wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:
GodzillaFan1992 wrote:Toho are such money grabbers. Money, money, money. They never care about the fans.....
Yes, quite evil of them. Trying to fulfill the purpose of a company and make a profit. How DARE THEY!
Well there are many companies that doesn't only do it for the money, but fans as well. Take DreamWorks for example. Notice how good their sequels are. (minus the Shrek sequels, which people don't like) Shows they care. Now if only Toho did the same thing.

This is off-topic though. So best we don't start.
That is caring about the quality of the project not doing it for the fans. Besides only shrek 3 and 4 were bad

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Anyways.....

Varan would IMO be the best choice of a Toho Monster to appear in the sequel of Godzilla (2014)

He's both interesting, needs more attention, and so much potential to do with him.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

As much as I like Varan, having him before the likes of Anguirus, Ghidorah, or even Biollante is not what I would like to see.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

GalacticPetey wrote:As much as I like Varan, having him before the likes of Anguirus, Ghidorah, or even Biollante is not what I would like to see.
No I think it's a better idea. Anguirus, and Ghidorah already had their shrine. Let the lesser known Kaiju have it this time.

Think about it man. Varan's only feature film was his movie, besides a quick cameo in Destroy All Monsters. If anything it'd be better to have him appear and save those like Anguirus and Ghidorah for later sequels.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Varan is probably not even a blip on legendarys and Gareths radar when it comes to kaiju that can be in sequels.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Godzillian wrote:Varan is probably not even a blip on legendarys and Gareths radar when it comes to kaiju that can be in sequels.
No actually he could to be honest. Varan is one of the few kaiju that'd work due to being rooted to reality. Varan's pretty realistic enough to be in.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Anguirus can easily be rooted in reality. Maybe I'm biased because Angurius is my favorite kaiju besides Godzilla. And Anguirus hasn't really been given a major role since 74. He was fodder in Final Wars like most of the kaiju. He also had plenty of unplanned appearances. He was cut from the Heisei series as well as bing cut from GMK. I also heard a rumor about him being in SOS but got replaced with Kameobas. Not sure if that was true though.

Anguirus is probably more marketable too. If we're gonna go with more obscure kaiju, I'd rather see Biollante or even Titanosaurus.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

I know Anguirus is rooted to reality too. I'm just saying they should use Varan first since Anguirus appeared more than he has. Anguirus can be save for the later sequels IMO or perhaps they can put both Anguirus and Varan in at the same time.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

What about Titanosaurus? He's [relatively] rooted in reality and is unlikely to appear in a Japanese made film again, given his reputation over there.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

gojira96 wrote:What about Titanosaurus? He's [relatively] rooted in reality and is unlikely to appear in a Japanese made film again, given his reputation over there.
Yeah him too, but this isn't the thread to discuss him.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I think a Godzilla vs. Varan would be an awesome idea. It never happened, and I pray that it will. Considering that G14 doesn't like to use his Atomic Breath all that much, I think it would be a very even matchup. And I'd love to see him be recreated AND in CGI.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

I like him as a more "realisitc" kaiju and I am fond of his design. I wouldn't chalk him up as a favorite or anything though. It was a shame we didn't get him and Angy in GMK.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd like to see Varan get some attention, too. Gareth could do alot with Varan, and he's the only one likely to bring him back. I highly doubt Toho will ever put Varan on screen again.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Varan would make a great "Cretaceous flashback pre-credits battle sequence" monster.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Varan just needs his own movie.
His origin story was fun enough to remake. Well, atleast i think so.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Perhaps Tarantino can take Varan and a Legendary Universe side-story film with it. It would be a great way of Taratino improving upon the genre/source material he's homaging.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

Varan is ok, I guess is pretty cool.
AKA Jamie.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I really like Varan. It's a shame Toho doesn't, since he's been cut from basically everything. He needs an appearance in something where he has bearing on the plot. It's such a shame he didn't get that in DAM.