Monster Discussin #7: Varan

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Re: Varan talk

Post by gojira96 »

monster zero wrote:I wonder why they didn't put him in GMK.
Not profitable enough. :(

p.s Welcome to the board monster zero. :D

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

:D Thank you

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Varan is pretty cool. I liked his movie. Shame he didn't get used more. He was supposed to be in a few films that were axed. I think Toho has it out for him.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

I always wonder the same thing. I wish Anguirus and Varan were both in GMK, following the original script. I would make me like the movie even more.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:
I always wonder the same thing. I wish Anguirus and Varan were both in GMK, following the original script. I would make me like the movie even more.
I would probably enjoy the movie more myself

But the reason Varan was taken out of GMK was because, as gojira96 already stated only a few posts above you, he doesn't make money like Mothra and Ghidorah do.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Dust_pan wrote:But the reason Varan was taken out of GMK was because, as gojira96 already stated only a few posts above you, he doesn't make money like Mothra and Ghidorah do.
True I guess. But having Ghidorah as a guardian monster doesn't fit his character. He's an evil alien!
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:But the reason Varan was taken out of GMK was because, as gojira96 already stated only a few posts above you, he doesn't make money like Mothra and Ghidorah do.
True I guess. But having Ghidorah as a guardian monster doesn't fit his character. He's an evil alien!
I don't see any problem with that. As long as a character is done well, I don't care how different they are from their previous incarnations. In fact, I like GMK Ghidorah.

Also, Baragon was never a mystical guardian monster in his original movie appearance. He was just a vicious predator and antagonist, but no one ever complains about him in GMK. ;)

Varan would make some sense as a guardian monster, though. He was actually revered (and feared) as a sort of god by natives, after all.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

They really didn't do anything with Varan.

Why not? He IS the 3rd or 4th monster right? I think I'm wrong...

Anyway, he should be more popular than Mothra as his movie came out about 5 or 4 years before. :lol:

AWESOME MONSTER.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:Anyway, he should be more popular than Mothra as his movie came out about 5 or 4 years before. :lol:

AWESOME MONSTER.
Being older doesn't automatically make something better or more popular. What matters is quality. If an old movie sucks and a new movie is great, should everyone praise and love the old movie more than the new movie? If an old lady was an asshole to me, and a dude my age was kind and respectful to me, should I like the old lady more than the young dude? :lol:

I agree that Varan is an awesome monster. But his movie is generally considered mediocre or average at best. Because, let's face it, there's nothing exactly unique or amazing about it. It's really just another "giant monster emerges to attack Japan" story. We've seen that already. And in much better movies, too.

Mothra on the other hand was very unique for a kaiju film, and is generally considered a good or great film.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Dust_pan wrote:I agree that Varan is an awesome monster. But his movie is generally considered mediocre or average at best. Because, let's face it, there's nothing exactly unique or amazing about it. It's really just another "giant monster emerges to attack Japan" story. We've seen that already.
I agree. We have seen that before and after, but it is a pretty cool monster movie for its time in my opinion.

Sorry, but I think Varan was one of the most unique monster designs of the 50s next to Godzilla and Anguirus.

:-x
*hides*
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Varan is definitely a unique monster as far as design goes. And his movie wasn't exactly bad, just not memorable, imo. It's a shame he never got to do much after that.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Dust_pan wrote:Varan is definitely a unique monster as far as design goes. And his movie wasn't exactly bad, just not memorable, imo. It's a shame he never got to do much after that.
It's one of the very few Showa era flicks I actually would describe as "bad." It's just completely lifeless.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

eabaker wrote:It's one of the very few Showa era flicks I actually would describe as "bad." It's just completely lifeless.
And for a neat looking monster, that's bad on his image.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Discussin #7: Varan

Post by Rody »

Varan is a pretty dull film, I admit - at least on the human side. The story isn't much, but the effects are really impressive. I see the film as an experiment for Tsuburaya and his crew. Between the incredible Varan suit, the forest sets, Varan's flying scene, and the battle at sea, there's a lot going on here that hadn't been tried before which we probably take for granted.

daijinryuu775489
Samurai

Post by daijinryuu775489 »

Once, it was said on another site that Varan's design fuses those of Godzilla, Rodan, and Anguirus. That summary always stuck with me and I tend to agree with it. For what it's worth, it would have been nice if he at least could have destroyed some cities in DAM...
"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!"

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I don't know why, but I really like Varan. Wish he had more screen time in DAM.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I am big Varan fan. I like dinosaurian monsters in general (although strangely enough, I've never been a Titanosaurus fan) and Varan's design is equally unique and awesome. His roar reminded me of a test run for the 1985 Goji roar.

obs
Yojimbo

Post by obs »

As much as I like Varan, I see why he was not used more in movie. What can you really do with him? Of course you can put him in a supporting rule, much akin to Anguirus, but what does that really do to satisfy fans of Varan.
Tokusatsu, above all else.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

obs wrote:As much as I like Varan, I see why he was not used more in movie. What can you really do with him? Of course you can put him in a supporting rule, much akin to Anguirus, but what does that really do to satisfy fans of Varan.
Same thing they should do with Anguirus: put them up against opponents with the same skill level to see who wins.

obs
Yojimbo

Post by obs »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:Same thing they should do with Anguirus: put them up against opponents with the same skill level to see who wins.
That would be great, though it lacks one critical thing, box-office draw. It's just not there, sadly.
Tokusatsu, above all else.