Monster Discussion #5: Rodan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion #5: Rodan (Showa)

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Rodan also feels like a movie far ahead of its time, the scenery effects and the Meganulons look incredible.
I respectfully disagree with that. Personally, Rodan is a mess of a film. It can't decide what it wants to be, the acting and characters are all over the place, the effects are incredibly bad at times (especially the Meganulons) and it takes forever for it to get going. Once it does get going, even then its not very interesting. The final scene with the dying Rodan's would be a powerful scene, if the light from the exploding volcano didn't make the Rodan props look incredibly fake and make me laugh at how bad the effects are at that point.

I use to love Rodan, but after a few recent viewings of it, its flaws became obvious to me, and now I think its pretty bad.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Biollante
JXSDF Technician

Post by Biollante »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Rodan also feels like a movie far ahead of its time, the scenery effects and the Meganulons look incredible.
The final scene with the dying Rodan's would be a powerful scene, if the light from the exploding volcano didn't make the Rodan props look incredibly fake and make me laugh at how bad the effects are at that point.
I agree with this. The scene had potential but it looks so silly, it's hard for me to take it seriously. Had they polished it more it may have been a stronger scene than Godzilla's death in 54.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

I like the original; and I'm talking about the monster, NOT the movie. He is my second favorite monster. The Heisei version was pretty dumb to me. The Final Wars version, while still not great, was a vast improvement over the Heisei version. And before people start bombing me, not because he was more powerful, or any of that crap. He wasn't given anything to do in Final Wars, he just looked closer to the original design.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
I respectfully disagree with that. Personally, Rodan is a mess of a film. It can't decide what it wants to be, the acting and characters are all over the place, the effects are incredibly bad at times (especially the Meganulons) and it takes forever for it to get going. Once it does get going, even then its not very interesting. The final scene with the dying Rodan's would be a powerful scene, if the light from the exploding volcano didn't make the Rodan props look incredibly fake and make me laugh at how bad the effects are at that point.

I use to love Rodan, but after a few recent viewings of it, its flaws became obvious to me, and now I think its pretty bad.
Agreed. I think the film really gets over-hyped by the fandom. I feel that most of the monsters scenes were either too short or unsatisfying. I really like the set up in the first act, and then it just goes downhill from there.

As for the monster itself, I could never really call myself a "fan" of Rodan. If the 50's version's film would have been better I would have been a fan of him. A giant ptereadon is a pretty awesome idea for a kaiju. And then in the 60's, he just became a comic character. He was like the class clown of kaiju. Not that I hated that, but it doesn't really make me like him. The 90's version was alright, and the sequences with Rodan in Final Wars was one of the few things that film did right.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

While i prefer the heisei design because it looks more realistic(minus the beam) and i don't like when secondary monsters are as big as the main one(Godzilla),i think the showa Rodan is really cool monster who is storng enough to give Godzilla a run for his money and is one of the few showa monsters which impression to the audience doens't have a puppetish feel to the suit.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

at this point in the game. I'd rather see Rodan get another film, than any other Kaiju. maybe even set in '56.
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

All the suits were a little too humanoid in GFW. Rodan actually looked pretty good. I do wish he was brown though. Red just doesnt seem right for him.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ He looked more like Fire Rodan in GFW. His CGI and suit combination in te New York Attack was brilliant though. That was probably my favorite city destruction scene in the Millennium series.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

When I was a kid I really liked the idea of Heisei Rodan sacrificing himself to empower Godzilla. I always preferred the showa design, but I love them both.

Along with most of the FW monsters, I don't care for Heisei Rodan. He got too litle screentime, diluted by a dozen other monsters, for me to truly like him/ His attack sequence was well done though.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Rodan is my most favorite monster. I don't know why; something about him just clicks with me.

I think the original suit is still the best. I am not as fond of the 60's suits; they look sloppier in design. However, they have started growing on me recently.

While I agree that Rodan is lacking in the ability to inflict critical damage to opponents, he balances it out with durability. He took multiple shots of the atomic heat ray at point blank range in the face. How many monsters can boast of that??

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Am I reading too much into GTTHM in wondering if volcanic gas has some sort of regenerative effect on Rodan? The word resurrect was specifically used... Or was this statement just that the gas would wake him, and in a roundabout way, it resurrected him???
"A monster can live forever"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's just a convenient excuse to get Rodan in the movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

no its the rodan baby from the original two
Resized Image

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Beef Bigshot wrote:no its the rodan baby from the original two
That's speculation. If he was a baby, how he grew up managing to eat the Meganulon, get water, oxygen, etc... while being buried on his back under rocks where a volcano had recently erupted, is beyond me....... :?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Just dropping in to say Rodan is awesome. 8-)

...Well he is!

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I'm pretty sure he flies and then he gets buried. You hear a wind like noise and him screeching and it getting quieter. I could be wrong, might grab it of the ol shelf and watch it again
Resized Image

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Ya really^^^
Resized Image

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

NSZ wrote:Because the alternative explanation is so much more believable?
Yeah to me it is, and seems to be the simple explanation put forth. The male Rodan survived the eruption. I mean, he's Godzilla's equal with wings right?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

NSZ wrote:
Carthormerr wrote:
NSZ wrote:Because the alternative explanation is so much more believable?
Yeah to me it is, and seems to be the simple explanation put forth. The male Rodan survived the eruption. I mean, he's Godzilla's equal with wings right?
Both Rodans fell into the lava stream. Unless you're Heisei Godzilla, there's no surviving.
Showa continuity is tenuous at best, folks. GTTHM talks about Rodan as if there were only ever one creature. Nobody ever says, "One of the Rodans survived!" It's just Rodan, because in the public's consciousness, that's what the character was: one creature called Rodan.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

NSZ wrote:Both Rodans fell into the lava stream. Unless you're Heisei Godzilla, there's no surviving.
... or Battra. In Gojira the characters assume G dies. This thought is supported by the fact that you as the viewer get to see his body disintegrate. So in Raids Again, they don't say "Godzilla resurrected". Dr Yamane says basically this is what we were afraid of, there was another G.

In Rodan one of them falls in the stream and stops moving, the other lands on top of the first one and writhes around on fire, and is even still moving when the movie ends. Now we didn't get to stay and monitor the scene afterwards, but we assume they both die. In GTTHM the prophetess doesn't say "another Rodan has surfaced" or "there was a baby". She says the "volcanic gas accumulated in the crust will resurrect Rodan". That statement seems straightforward to me.