Monster Discussion #5: Rodan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Rodan question

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

It's been a while since I watched the classic Rodan movie until tonight. So I understand that there is two Rodan's in the film.. but where did the baby go? I really hate to assume that the young Rodan all of a sudden grew into an adult in a matter of time. So would it be ok to assume that the baby Rodan from the stand alone film was the Rodan that debuted in Ghidorah and throughout the showa series? just wondering, because i know those 2 Rodans at the end did not survive that.
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Re: Rodan question

Post by Toxic Toast »

Your idea is more plausible than the monster growing up so quickly, but I think it's the filmmakers' intention that there were only two Rodans in the movie. The characters react (in the dub, at least) as though the hatching Rodan that broke Shigeru's brain is the one that's been spotted in the skies. Everyone acts as though the flying Rodans are the threat; all military attention is on them and not one word is ever spoken about yet another Rodan crawling around the mines.

Now, is the Rodan in Ghidorah one of the pair from Rodan, or a third member of the species? Ghidorah doesn't address this at all in either the English or Japanese version. This is pretty much the same situation as Anguirius in the later Showa movies. I guess it's up to the viewer.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I've always considered the hatchling to be the adult Rodan. The second Rodan was a little left field, I'd agree.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A third Rodan is never mentioned or alluded to in the film. There were two, and one was brought back to life for Ghidorah.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

Tyler wrote:The Venusian in Ghidorah clearly explains that one of them somehow survived the volcanic eruption
In Japanese, she only says that Radon is reviving. No one in Ghidorah mentions there were ever two of them.

I took a look at the Japanese Wikipedia page for Radon and it says that the monster in Ghidorah is a different one than the pair in Rodan, and is sometimes referred to in "the literature" as "the Third." A Wiki can be edited by anyone, of course, but the people in Japan obviously have access to more kaiju material and don't have to interpret it or the films through translations.

Now that I think about it, the idea of a third Rodan is much more plausible. Why would the same lava kill one Rodan dead, yet do no lasting damage to the other? How could one of the original duo extinguish itself, climb up the mountain, and bury itself in the crater without the hundreds of witnesses who have a vested interest in making sure these things are dead noticing? Why would the Ghidorah Rodan so readily agree to help humans if it watched humans deal a fiery death to its mate? I'm sure it's possible to contrive reasons to explain away all that, but it's no stretch to believe there was simply a third egg in the unexplored underground.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Sometimes its better to leave things up to the viewer. It is fiction after all.
Reviving characters for a new movie is nothing new. The Wolfman, Dracula & Frankenstein's monster all died and have come back several times, even to fight each other. Toho changed the story of King Kong. I thought Kong died in New York? LOL

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

The creatures from Rodan were murderously aggressive toward humans from the moment they took wing, though people had done nothing to harm them. It's natural that a third of the species would behave similarly.

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

In his first interaction with humans, Rodan turns and kills a Saber pilot who flew up to take a look at him. In his second, Rodan kills and eats two people who were out snapping pictures.

I guess whether it's appropriate to call these killings "murderous" depends on how much you want to anthropomorphize Rodan, but I don't think that changes the necessary response. Whether Rodan dealt death because he's a big animal or because he's a big dick, the military can't let him go around killing people.

Anyway, my point was that a grudge over the events of Rodan isn't necessary to explain the creature's lack of regard for human life in Ghidorah, since the original pair were like that from the start.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I always just thought one survived, and was in Ghidorah. I can't remember, wasn't it Mt. Aso the first Rodans were trapped at?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Toxic Toast wrote:In his first interaction with humans, Rodan turns and kills a Saber pilot who flew up to take a look at him. In his second, Rodan kills and eats two people who were out snapping pictures.

I guess whether it's appropriate to call these killings "murderous" depends on how much you want to anthropomorphize Rodan, but I don't think that changes the necessary response. Whether Rodan dealt death because he's a big animal or because he's a big dick, the military can't let him go around killing people.

Anyway, my point was that a grudge over the events of Rodan isn't necessary to explain the creature's lack of regard for human life in Ghidorah, since the original pair were like that from the start.
I think your anthromorphizing Rodan far too much. When you're a predator that big, everything smaller than you is prey. As for the jet, you're talking about something Rodan had never seen before. Best bet is to say it reacted as most startled or nervous predators do: attacking.

As to whether there was a third Rodan, its hard to say for certain. I would say it seems more... romantic to say that there is a third, and less heart-breaking. The Rodan death scene is one of only two movie scenes thus far that make me cry. That the mates would not leave one-another is a very romantic thought. That one would outlive the other after showing such devotion to it's mate... Painful thought. Of course it would show why Rodan had no love for humanity, but still. I don't think there's a canon answer.
Proud father, husband, and son.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

KaneLocke wrote:That one would outlive the other after showing such devotion to it's mate... Painful thought. Of course it would show why Rodan had no love for humanity, but still. I don't think there's a canon answer.
Well, plus, if one Rodan survived the lava, why didn't the other one?
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

hatchling= ghidorah rodan?

If you witnessed your parents die as a infant that would make you hold a grudge.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Alucard
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Discussion #5: Rodan (Showa)

Post by Alucard »

Rodan is one of my favourite showa kaiju.He is strong enough to withstand Godzilla's breath which not so many showa kaiju.Personally its should make his place in the big four :D
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
wataru wrote:It's not huge and it's white.
LIKE YO DICK!

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

You know, after rewatching some the Showa films, I've come to at least one conclusion: Rodan (as a kaiju) sucks. He's a coward, he's kind of useless and he can be pretty stupid at times too.

For example, in Invasion Of The Astro-Monster, after the aliens send Godzilla and Rodan to attack Japan, Godzilla immediately starts to attack. What does Rodan immediately do? He...just flies around a bit. Not even really causing any damage with his wings. Just...flying. I would have loved to see the Xelien's commentary to that: "Yes, Godzilla. Continue to destroy Japan. And Rodan...You just...Keep on flying. Yeah, you're a lot of help Rodan. Why did we need you again?"

And like I even need to bring up Destroy All Monsters and running away after getting hit with one gravity bolt. :roll:

Not to mention Rodan, where his only means of attacking the military (and the city for that matter) were his wings. Yeah, just keep blowing against those big steel tanks, Rodan, that'll stop 'em.

I will admit that Rodan does a pretty good job in Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster, but outside of that film Rodan just makes me laugh now at how stupid he can be. Plus, Rodan (as a film) sucks already, so it seems like my respect for Rodan just keeps dropping as of late.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: Not to mention Rodan, where his only means of attacking the military (and the city for that matter) were his wings. Yeah, just keep blowing against those big steel tanks, Rodan, that'll stop 'em.
What else is he supposed to do? He doesn't have a beam weapon after all. Super sonic sound and high winds are his means of attack..I don't see how that's a negative.

If I may be blunt here, your reasons for disliking the character are pretty silly.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Goji wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote: Not to mention Rodan, where his only means of attacking the military (and the city for that matter) were his wings. Yeah, just keep blowing against those big steel tanks, Rodan, that'll stop 'em.
What else is he supposed to do? He doesn't have a beam weapon after all. Super sonic sound and high winds are his means of attack..I don't see how that's a negative.
I'm saying that it makes me laugh that that is the only way he can cause damage.
If I may be blunt here, your reasons for disliking the character are pretty silly.
I know. I was being kind of part-serious, part-joking. I still don't really like Rodan anymore (mostly because Rodan is a bad film, IMO), but I was also trying to be funny about it.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Tell me at least you don't consider the Heisei and Millenium versions more compelling.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Ethan wrote:Tell me at least you don't consider the Heisei and Millenium versions more compelling.
Eh, I like the Heisei version. Not so much the GFW version, like Legion said.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I like all of them.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Biollante
JXSDF Technician

Post by Biollante »

I love Rodan, he's definitely one of my top favorite Kaiju. Rodan also feels like a movie far ahead of its time, the scenery effects and the Meganulons look incredible. It's a shame that Toho gave Rodan a nerf once he became a part of the Godzilla franchise, the poor guy went from destroying cities and planes with the sheer velocity of its flight to pecking Godzilla in the face. :roll:

At least they brought back the destructive force of Rodan in Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla 2 and Final Wars, albeit it was brief.