Monster Discussion #5: Rodan (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #5: Rodan (Showa)

Post by The One and Only »

It was said by Dr. Yamane at the end of the original GOJIRA, that all the nuclear testing might, if not stopped, might release other Godzillas into the world. And in the original Japanese version of Godzilla Raids Again !, the Big-G that shows up alongside Angilas, is referred to as another one by Yamane in his appearance in the flick. And people in the flick don't refer to it as the second Godzilla, but just Godzilla. Likewise, the Rodan that pops up in GHIDRAH:The Three Headed Monster, although I'm thinking another one that hatched later on like the other two. Whose egg was in the same form of suspended animation like his predecessors, or even an off spring of the two, and had just hatched. Or maybe, and this is just out there. In the original Japanese version of RODAN, everyone was quite surprised to see another one show up in the middle of the first one's rampage of Seasbo City. So the on that pops up in GHIDRAH, could be one that hatched later, buried itself in the volcano it emerged from in the flick when he reached maturity.

I am bit surprised that Rodan didn't get a full on, one-on-one battle with Godzilla in the Showa Era. Unlike Mothra, whom with all that fuzz, and being an insect seemed like the arthropod would be so much kindling to the Big-G's heat ray, would be a better match up for Godzilla. He gave Godzilla quite a battle in G:TTHM. Even his somewhat maligned appearance in GODZILLA Vs. MECHAGODZILLA II was well done, and his battle with MG was quite nice. I was sort've hoping with the Legendary film, that Rodan was going to be one of the monsters Godzilla was going to facing off with in the course of the flick. Or, like an idear I had for a Godzilla Vs. Rodan fan-fic. It would borrow from the original RODAN, with two of the Flying Monsters. Tag teaming the Big-G. With the male Rodan being a brighter shade of red like the Final Wars version, and the female being the more brown, traditional color. Like male and female cardinals.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Wow, I had no idea this was a thing that's a thing...

Two Rodans are attacked and buried near the surface of Mount Aso. Several years later, one (fully grown) Rodan emerges from what appears to be a long-term unconscious state, buried just below the surface of Mount Aso. Any theory that makes this a new Rodan requires a set of postulations which are never hinted at by the movie; the most obvious answer is, therefore, that this is one of the two Rodans taken for dead at the end of the earlier movie.

The best reason I can see for arguing against this isn't so much narrative as thematic: for one of those Rodans to have survived cheapens the ending of the original film. On the other hand, for there to be any surviving members of the species at least partly cheapens the ending of the original film, and, as much as we might like to preserve that film's meaning, it simply seems that was not a particular concern to those involved with making Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster in 1964.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I assume that the Rodan that chose to dive back into the lava is the one that survives. He knew his mate was dead but he would survive so he chose to be with her in her final moments.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

As a kid I always just assumed that this Rodan was one of the two from the original film. In a Toho movie guide book it doesn't make a distinction between one of the original rodans and the one in the Showa Godzilla films being different like it does with Anguirus and godzilla and a few other kaiju.

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

Godzillian wrote:In a Toho movie guide book it doesn't make a distinction between one of the original rodans and the one in the Showa Godzilla films being different like it does with Anguirus and godzilla and a few other kaiju.
Exactly
"A monster can live forever"

RodanStomps
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanStomps »

This Rodan design is my favorite next to the Final Wars design. Also, this movie is pretty cool. I really like the idea of a giant pteranodon flying everywhere creating hurricane winds with his wings. And with the power of song in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2, he gained a uranium heat beam which is kind of like Godzilla atomic breath. And over all....RODAN KICKS ASS :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

I love how Showa Rodan is just TOUGH, like he had no trouble fighting Godzilla and King Ghidorah.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

shippersdreamer wrote:I love how Showa Rodan is just TOUGH, like he had no trouble fighting Godzilla and King Ghidorah.
^ THIS. Watch the battle between Rodan and Godzilla in GTTHM again. Rodan dominated that fight. Even taking Godzilla's atomic breath point blank didn't phase him. I would go as far to say that Rodan is STRONGER then Godzilla.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gothicserpent wrote:
shippersdreamer wrote:I love how Showa Rodan is just TOUGH, like he had no trouble fighting Godzilla and King Ghidorah.
^ THIS. Watch the battle between Rodan and Godzilla in GTTHM again. Rodan dominated that fight. Even taking Godzilla's atomic breath point blank didn't phase him. I would go as far to say that Rodan is STRONGER then Godzilla.
Nope Rodan is just smarter and can fly. Rodan was winning the fight but he and Godzilla were equals.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Always liked rodan. The original film was great and loved him in all the Showa series. That being said I really never cared for Heisei rodan. Just didn't care for the design. That and when he gained the heat ray I really didn't care for him, just keep it original. I liked what he was. He was tough, relied on natural ability I guess you would call it, didn't need no fancy dangled heat beam or eye beams or gravity beams or any beams. And he had to walk to school 15 miles uphill in the snow.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

Rodan doesn't have terrible language like Godzilla does.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!

From the terror to the skies to the savior of Earth. I prefer the first role (and image) more from Rodan than what came later on in the Showa era.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One thing I've noticed about the second suit, is that right in front of his eyes are two small spikes on his muzzle right before his beak.

What could the functionality of these structures possibly be? My smart guess is that they protect his eyes when traveling at supersonic speeds.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LegendZilla wrote:One thing I've noticed about the second suit, is that right in front of his eyes are two small spikes on his muzzle right before his beak.

What could the functionality of these structures possibly be? My smart guess is that they protect his eyes when traveling at supersonic speeds.
Ghidorah has something similar on his face, too. I always figured they were just for show with no real functionality, just a Showa thing.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

LegendZilla wrote:One thing I've noticed about the second suit, is that right in front of his eyes are two small spikes on his muzzle right before his beak.

You're looking to deep into it.
Just part of the design
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Rodan turns 60 this year. Happy birthday to one of my favorite monsters. What I like about Rodan is something severally overlooked. Bird brain is not just fast, durable, strong and has great stamina (fighting Godzilla form night to day and then teaming up against Ghidorah), he's also pretty smart.

He would pick up Godzilla and use their combined body weight to bulldoze King Ghidorah, hold Ghidorah back by the tail so he can't advance on Godzilla, he lured King Ghidorah into the sky so he can 180 crash into him to ground-stun him fro free hits, he let Mothra climb on his back so she could blind the heads. He's also shown to use his environment to his advantage and such as using boulder when and cover when available. He also seems to target weak-spots such as trying to peck Godzilla's eyes or dropping him groin first into a tower. Like Megagurias decades later, Rodan seemed to be controlling most of the fight with Godzilla and probably would have won had Mothra not intervened, which isn't too far fetch as Godzilla had some loses early in the Showa films with Mothra larval and King Kong.

All in all, Rodan is a survivor. He may be arrogant like King Ghidorah but he is smart enough to recognize a threat to his survival. He will go from trying to kill you to being your greatest ally should he recognize a common threat.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

The original Rodan is still the best Rodan as far as I'm concerned! Like others have pointed out I like how the terror of the skies isn't just fast, he's smart as well as damn tough. I feel like Rodan is the Apollo Creed to Godzilla's Rocky Balboa. He's got the speed advantage for sure and he manages to control the first part of the fight, but Godzilla's got the strength advantage and he just won't go down.

I think if the fight went on Godzilla would have won for sure due to staying power and sheer strength, demonstrated when he grabbed Rodan and slammed him. It would've been one hell of a fight though, one I wish we could see, but them teaming up to fight King Ghidorah is even better. I wonder if Showa Godzilla got faster and better at fighting because he had a training montage with his old rival? :)

Also in terms of appearance I think Rodan looked his best in the original movie by far, I only wish he looked as good in his 60's films.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Rodan did look best in the original film. It was a well crafted suit, but the head wouldn't look as good in later films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I have just found out that Rodan was inspired by the USSR and how jets did flybys in the Kuril Islands, just as Godzillas was based of America. Interesting.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And later on in DAM, Rodan attacks Moscow.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.