Talkback: House (1977)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: House (1977)

Post by Arbok »

I find myself revisiting this movie more and more after having initially watched it a few years ago. Part of me can't help but feel it's incredibly overrated, becoming a huge critical darling after it's Criterion release, but another has to note it's a very memorable movie that tends to grow on you. A shame the rest of the director's work never matched this same level of art house attention to detail.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Wow, I totally missed this thread before! Glad it got bumped.

I absolutely love the self-conscious artificiality of this movie. An element that seems like it should pull the audience out of the story emotionally and psychologically actually draws me in, because the bizarre, cut-and-paste nature of its technical construction creates such an overwhelming sense of the uncanny that, even as I'm finding it all silly and funny, I'm also finding myself genuinely creeped out. When you try to convey the surreal, crazed logic of a dream through traditional cinematic techniques, striving to make the illusions "convincing," you tend to lose the very quality that makes a dream feel like a dream - makes a nightmare feel like a nightmare.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Just saw it for the first time about a week ago, and yeah, wow. I'm not 100% sure what to think of it, but I will check it out again for sure. I think this is an incident where the film truly looks better on Blu-ray.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:When I first saw it a million years ago, the sheer lunacy was what stood out. As time went on though, I was able to appreciate that there is a wonderful little melancholy story going on beneath the style. It's probably the most fun implementation of a downbeat plot I've ever seen.
Yeah, it's like there's a really depressing fairytale at the core of it, which has just been adapted by a deranged overgrown child.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Llante
Monsterland Worker

Re: Talkback: House (1977)

Post by Llante »

Just watched it yesterday. I cannot decide whether it was appalling or appealing. It is great that it had an actual story and theme underlying all of the craziness, yet it was so awful in a way too; but enjoyably awful, in fact, I don't know if I can have an opinion on this film. Perhaps the best way to describe this is as an experience more than a movie. It definitely reminds me of Evil Dead 2 and Godzilla vs Hedorah, yet it was different at the same time.

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

Watched it a few months ago. Probably one of my top 10 favorite movies. I really enjoyed it.

SonofAnguirus
Yojimbo

Post by SonofAnguirus »

I really feel like this film is severely underappreciated despite its Criterion release. The pacing and humor might not be for everyone, but this movie is replete with some of the most delightful, bizarre occurrences I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing. I feel like this movie should be essential viewing for anyone who is a fan of 70s-era Japanese horror or non-kaiju Toho productions.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonofAnguirus wrote:The pacing and humor might not be for everyone, but this movie is replete with some of the most delightful, bizarre occurrences I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing.
Agreed 100%. It's probably just too bizarre for a lot of people, and it is ultimately kind of... insubstantial, I guess; but it's like cinematic candy to me, satisfying some very specific craving that I can't quite define.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I need to be absolutely shitfaced to enjoy this movie. I loved it when i was younger, but it's just way way way way way too bizarre for me, which is odd because I typically have no problem with bizarre. But it just seems like it's bizarre for bizarre's sake and I think that's where my problem with it comes from. Way too out there for me and for the most part all for no reason.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.