Talkback: House (1977)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Tamura
EDF Instructor

Re: House (1977)

Post by Tamura »

Thank you for calling it HOUSE instead of HAUSU.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

I have...never heard of this movie...
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

I own this movie on Criterion Blu Ray as well and yeah it is a bit out there. It's perhaps one of the weirdest films that Toho has ever done. I like this film alot. I love just how zany this film is.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

I need to get House since the 50 percent off sale at Barnes and Noble is still taking place. Hopefully, no later than next week.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I know you guys are talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(1977_film)

But I keep think you're talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(1986_film)

Now I want to see them both.
Haters gonna hate

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

I am on the fence. The movie is really bonkers. Hallucinogenic. Definitely not a pure horror film, more of a darkly surreal comedy. But maybe that really does not describe it either.

I have only seen it once but perhaps I should give it another go. Great soundtrack, it has.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Oh, I'm not. I usually am one, I admit, but not this time. I don't understand why people call this movie HAUSU when the title card says otherwise.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Probably because of the voice that says, "HHHAAAUUUUSSUUUUUU".

I love the ever loving bejeezus out of this movie. I made so many people watch it last summer...minds strewn everywhere, it was like a charnel hausu, man...

Very reminiscent to me of Jigoku, if anyone has seen that one...
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

I watched this a couple of weeks ago when I bought the DVD. I liked it, although the blue edges during all the composite shots bothered me a little.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Tamura wrote:Oh, I'm not. I usually am one, I admit, but not this time. I don't understand why people call this movie HAUSU when the title card says otherwise.
Maybe because they don't want to get confused with the show, "House". I actually managed to ordered this using a gift card so my wish came true today. :P

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Quoting myself from another thread, I've always loved House because:
The movie is manic masterpiece of comedy and surrealist horror. The fright comes precisely because one has the sense of being trapped in a universe where normal laws of cause-and-effect no longer apply, and human reason is wholly impotent in trying to figure out and combat the forces arrayed against you.

The inability to understand what one is up against is really the only concept that creeps me out in a horror film. If you can figure out a way to save yourself, then it's just a thriller for me. Horror is found in utter helplessness.
At the same time, the movie is also wildly funny. The comparison to Evil Dead 2 is quite apt, and between the biting head, blood-spraying walls, animate home fixtures, and general tone, I can't help but wonder if Sam Raimi had seen it prior to helming his own Hor/Com masterpiece.
I was thinking the exact same thing when I watched the movie.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Still, I don't believe this movie was even released in America during the 70's. Its only until last year we finally get to see House officially at theatres and Criterion home video.

RyanClark
Monarch Researcher

Post by RyanClark »

Earlier this year at our local anime con they had a panel called "WTF Japan", and showed a clip from this. It looked absolutely nuts, I'm hoping to pick up a copy sometime. No one had it at G-FEST, I'm wanting to get the Blu-ray.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Yeah, you can get at the current Barnes and Noble sale for like 20 bucks now before August the 1st. Got my copy today, can't wait to see it.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Housu

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Has anyone else seen this bizarre Toho Horror film from 1977?

A week ago a friend of mine had me over to watch it and I thought it was hysterically bizarre. I recommend checking it out if any of you are into cheesy J-horror.

I was shocked to see though that this film has received such great reviews across the board. I honestly thought it was an enjoyable mess, but nothing of quality.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

keef90
Yojimbo

Re: Housu

Post by keef90 »

I love House/Hausu. It's quite unlike any other movie I have. It also has some of the most imaginative death scenes I've ever seen. The girl getting eaten by a piano comes to mind...

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

keef90 wrote: The girl getting eaten by a piano comes to mind...
Tyler wrote:I liked the ninja girl running around in her panties.
Da-shreeonk? :eh:

I wanna watch this movie now.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

keef90 wrote:I love House/Hausu. It's quite unlike any other movie I have. It also has some of the most imaginative death scenes I've ever seen. The girl getting eaten by a piano comes to mind...
My personal favorite was the mattress avalanche. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that worked.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Oh, Kung-Fu, you're so cool!

<3
SAVE_US.GDZ

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

@ Kaiju-King:
Underwear Ninja Chick
Piano Scene
Singing cat
Bananas!

Just a few clips from...whatever you wanna call this. LSD trip would be a good way of describing it.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.