Talkback: Latitude Zero (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Missingno.
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback: Latitude Zero (1969)

Post by Missingno. »

I need to get around to watching this... I got the two-disc edition from Amazon almost a year ago, but I still have yet to open it. I guess it was due to the hassle of the move...
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Here's a cool looking International poster that I've never seen before.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Black moth is a let down
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

While I can't say I love this movie it is definitely a fun campy ride. It has a really fun campy vibe along the lines of Batman or Star Trek. Thought it does somewhat feel more like an extended pilot to an unreleased TV series. Still I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Is there anyone out there who owns a copy of this movie?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Birdman wrote:Is there anyone out there who owns a copy of this movie?
*Raises Hand*

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Would you mind explains why Malik's fortress explodes at the end of the film? I've been unable to find a source that explains this.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I'll have to watch it when I get back home in a couple of days ...
Try watching Brandon's Cult Movie review video on it

Added in 10 hours 44 minutes :
Just rewatched it, alright, this is a bit weird...
Malik's fortress kinda self destructs by itself after Malik's Black Shark is destroyed.
Black Moth swoops down and attacks the laser gun mounted to the Black Shark. Malik tries to shoot Black Moth, but he misses and hits a cliff side, causing an avalanche of rocks. The rocks destroy Black Moth & the Black Shark, and upon the Black Shark's explosion, Malik's fortress just kinda explodes.

Hope that helped

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Okay...so this one is really interesting to me.

The film itself is extremely uneven...sometimes looking like
the best 70's Toho film possible...and at other times looking
like pure schlock...but despite that...I love how corny & silly
it is.

I've always loved the idea of the continuity of this film having
an effect on the greater Toho universe.

Someone more talented than me should write a story that involves
the Seatopians attacking Latitude Zero using Megalon, Gigan & a
mind controlled Titanosaurus (using stolen tech from Dr. Mafune).

Then the Seatopians "move in" to Latitude Zero using all of the
advanced technology & science to build weapons as well as enslave
several other sea based kaiju (Manda, Ebirah & the ancient Dagahra)
leading to a final showdown as Godzilla & his allies (Anguirus, Rodan,
Mothra, King Caesar & an upgraded Jet Jaguar) try to take Latitude
Zero back from the Seatopians with the help of an elite military unit.

And I'm done.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I'm so disappointed. After watching this movie and being completely baffled by the ending, I was expecting to come on here and see a bunch of TK geniuses having already dissected the theme, subtle clues in the plot, references to the director's other works, and some sort of behind-the-scenes tidbit from Age of the Gods to completely decipher and neatly explain what was going on with the ending.

Instead, it seems like everyone is just as much in the dark as I am. :) That was bizarre.

Great production values. Just a very odd movie. And I have to agree with the comment from last page... Black Moth was a letdown.
Last edited by Zarm on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:I'm so disappointed. After watching this movie and being completely baffled by the ending, I was expecting to come on here and see a bunch of TK geniuses having already dissected the theme, subtle clues in the plot, references to the director's other works, and some sort of behind-the-scenes tidbit from Age of the Gods to completely decipher and neatly explain what was going on with the ending.
Its not about the destination Zarm...

Its about the journey.

;)

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Grievous wrote:
Zarm wrote:I'm so disappointed. After watching this movie and being completely baffled by the ending, I was expecting to come on here and see a bunch of TK geniuses having already dissected the theme, subtle clues in the plot, references to the director's other works, and some sort of behind-the-scenes tidbit from Age of the Gods to completely decipher and neatly explain what was going on with the ending.
Its not about the destination Zarm...

Its about the journey.

;)
I took the journey. Now I'm just trying to figure out where in the heck I ended up.

Looks kind of like Albuquerque.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I personally don’t think there’s any logic to it, I believe it’s just a twist ending done for the sake of having a twist ending but I too would love to hear an explanation from Sekizawa if one exists. I don’t think it’s a dream and I don’t think the characters played by Cotten, Takarada, and Romero at the end of the film are supposed to be descendants or—in Takarada’s case—the real deal.

LZ is far from perfect but it’s reasonably entertaining. Aside from the abysmal creature FX the ending is definitely the weakest aspect of this movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I feel like the one thing that give us solidly is that it wasn't a dream, because of the diamonds. But that just makes what is happening aboard the ship even more confusing.

This is one of those things, like the time travel sequence in Star Trek 4, that probably isn't meant to be understood... But there still had to be some sort of thought process behind its creation, and I'd be very interested to know what that is.
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I'd have to reread the part about LZ in Honda's biography, I remember there being some great stuff in there. It's so cool Cesar Romero is in this one, I've never seen it but hearing about his involvement really peaked my interest, even moreso with it being a Honda film.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:I took the journey. Now I'm just trying to figure out where in the heck I ended up.

Looks kind of like Albuquerque.
HA! Great reference!

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I really should check this out. It sounds bonkers.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I've been meaning to watch this one for a while. Is it any good?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

tyrantgoji wrote:I've been meaning to watch this one for a while. Is it any good?
It's... interesting. I'd definitely recommend watching it at least once, if only to see Cesar Romero ham it up as Dr. Malik. It's unlike any other Honda film and I definitely don't think it's among the director's best, but it has its fun moments for sure. Just don't go in expecting a kaiju extravaganza; the Griffon doesn't show up til toward the end and barely gets any screentime, and the Giant Rats and Bat Men pretty much appear for one short action scene each. But if you want an absurd sci-fi adventure with an even mix of American and Japanese actors, you'll have a good time.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:It's unlike any other Honda film
For better or for worse, it's unlike any tokusatsu film. It was a very ambitious production that didn't work out in part because the American financing fell through right before production.

IMO it's not a good movie but it's stupidly entertaining.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.