Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: King Kong Escapes

Post by HayesAJones »

I liked it. Gorosaurus was a cool edition to the Toho family.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I think the suit is considerably worse then the KKvsG one. The eyes look dead and stare off into nowhere. And the proportions are strange and appropriately cartoony. But I still think it's the weaker look.

It's a fantastic movie. Probably the most childish of the non-Godzilla tokusatsu films, but it's thoroughly enjoyable and bubbly.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I only saw part of this movie once on TV. And you know what part that was? Guess....the ending. Right when Kong finally destroys Mechani-Kong. I need to buy this on DVD.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

GodzillaDude wrote:I only saw part of this movie once on TV. And you know what part that was? Guess....the ending. Right when Kong finally destroys Mechani-Kong. I need to buy this on DVD.
This is almost exactly how I was first introduced to the film as a kid. I didn't even know of it's existence, and was already a huge Godzilla fan...and here was Kong battling a robot Kong on top of Tokyo Tower! Needless to say, I made sure I had a blank VHS handy the next time it aired (during SciFi's "Tokyo Under Siege" marathon, in 94').

I actually love this movie, it's really a lot of fun, and all the the goofiness and shoddy SPX are easy to over look because of the film's colorful and playful atmosphere. I'm also a huge fan of Mechani-Kong. It's a shame we'll more than likely never see him again. It's rare enough to see Japanese merchandise based on him. :?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

It's a fun movie. The pacing lags a bit as it goes on though.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Bad Kong suit, but very enjoyable film. The heroes of the film weren't much, but the villainous Dr. Who was the perfect vaudvillain. He stole the show from the stolid captain. Mechanikong was a good creation, though Gorosaurus looked fantastic.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

A whole lot of fun. Toho did a spectacular job of translating the Rankin-Bass Kong to live action.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

Best Kong movie ever.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Personally, I don't mind the Kong suit. It loses some of the credibility that the 1962 one had, but I find it has more personality in its cartoonish depiction and somewhat prefer it. Interesting cast of humor characters, especially the villains, are mixed in with good affect too. Overall, a pretty enjoyable entry.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

During the fight with Gorosaurus, it almost looks like Kong's head was about to come off...

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

There's an episode of THE MUPPET SHOW that had a "Muppet Labs" sketch in which Dr. Bunsen Honeydew unveils a "Gorilla Alarm" which looks an awful lot like MECHANI-KONG. Tried to post a picture, but no luck.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gawdziller wrote:I loved the way Kong shrivled up in the water, making his head rediculously huge.
Actually, I think this had to do with the original Kong suit from KING KONG VS. GODZILLA being used in water scenes. They used a new head obviously, that was WAY too big in contrast to the rest of the costume.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

IIRC, the Cartoon Dr. Who bears little, if any resemblance to the movie version...

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Meh.... I honestly don't care much for this movie. I mean, I know its light hearted in nature, but I just don't get much enjoyment out of it. The best part for me was when Gorosaurus came in. After that, I sort of lost interest. I was actually disappointed with Mechani-Kong. I thought he would've been much more interesting, but I found him rather dull. Dr. Who and his henchmen were somewhat fun. As a Toho fan, I'm glad I own this movie, but as an actually movie fan, it falls short.

Maybe lot of this has to do with I saw it dubbed. I don't know if it's better in Japanese or not, but one thing I do know is that chick was annoying. "Kiiiiiinnng Koooooonnnng."
Ugh..... just.......
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

I enjoy King Kong Escapes. It's a fun movie. The Mondo Island set looked nice and the King Kong suit used here is far better than the one used in King Kong vs. Godzilla. Mechani-Kong was also a great addition to Toho's roster of monsters but it's unfortunate that we'll probably never see him in another movie. I've only seen the U.S. cut of this movie, so I found Linda Miller annoying.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

i really want to see what mechanickong looked like in the animated show!!
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

The movie as a whole is decent, but the climax bored me. :|
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

zilla103192 wrote:i really want to see what mechanickong looked like in the animated show!!
I think there's a brief shot of Mechani-Kong at the end of one of the Rankin-Bass KING KONG cartoon DVDs...

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dash 7 »

Extremely enjoyable movie, one of Honda's more fun adventure efforts.
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

zilla103192 wrote:i really want to see what mechanickong looked like in the animated show!!
Seek and ye shall find: http://www.clubdesmonstres.com/mechanikong2.html
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!