Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Re: King Kong Escapes (1967)

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Re-watched this a night or two ago and I still love this film. It's so soft and harmless. Madame Piranha is probably my favorite part of the film, more so then Dr. Huu even (It's STILL not the original!). On an effects level, it's probably one of the best things to come from Tsuburaya in the sixties, the pace is smooth, the music (particularly the stuff for the North Pole) is memorable, and the meager cast helps each character shine through even if they aren't the most dynamic bunch to grave the silver screen.

Like the best Japanese Fantasy films, it's a joy to watch. Arctic fortresses, hover cars, dinosaurs, rocket helicopters, and it's all gushing more colors then what it knows to do with.

To the more informed members here, is there any substantial difference between the Japanese cut and the American cut? This is one of those films where I would probably enjoy the dub more (ala, like Monster Zero) then then original. But it'd be nice to see what the original dialogue was.

Such a pleasant, breezy film. Pure fun. Even if the Kong suit is pretty weak, weaker then the KKvsG one even.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

The villain's name is not "Dr Huu". The character comes from the Rankin/Bass KING KONG cartoon, and they left no doubt how to spell his name...

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

TokyoVigilante wrote:To the more informed members here, is there any substantial difference between the Japanese cut and the American cut?
The US version is a bit trimmed and has one extra scene after the opening credits. I can't remember exactly what was cut.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Interesting movie. A little out there, but still a lot of fun.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Godzillafan642
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillafan642 »

I love that movie i still have it mostly becasue of gorosarus
Join my new godzilla fanfic
Shadow arena wins 1-0
Woo Woo Woo you know it

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

It's aimed mostly for kids, but it's still a great "lazy Sunday movie" as TV put it, ironic because the first time I watched it way back was over brunch on a Sunday.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

TokyoVigilante wrote:Like the best Japanese Fantasy films, it's a joy to watch. Arctic fortresses, hover cars, dinosaurs, rocket helicopters, and it's all gushing more colors then what it knows to do with.
Well said! I agree completely.
TokyoVigilante wrote:Pure fun. Even if the Kong suit is pretty weak, weaker then the KKvsG one even.
Again, agreed. This film would be one of the best popcorn movies of the entire 60s if it weren't for that wretched Kong suit. And actually, it's only the face that's so badly done... the shape of the Kong suit actually is better than in KKVG, broader shouldered and without the beer gut on the 1962 version. But oh, that face...

I've sometimes wondered whether there were actually TWO bad Kong suits used in this film... including one for one of the water scenes. When Kong is in the lagoon fighting that rubber sea snake, he doesn't just look like bad gorilla suit v.1 after it got wet, he looks... words fail me. It's like something thrown together for a third graders' stage play. Or a gorilla suit modeled on my bad-tempered Aunt Ellie, doused in hair grower. One of the most channel changer-worthy embarrassments in any Toho film of that decade.

All that aside, Mechani-Kong and Ifukube's scoring are magnificent (that scene where MK drops bombs into the arctic crater and descends, is magic.)

This film is (almost) pure entertainment, of the variety that many films of the period promised, but few delivered.

And I love both Eisei Amamoto's scene-chewing performance as Dr. Who, and Paul Frees's perfect dub. "Who" cares if he sounds like Boris Badanov... it's priceless. "MORON! The real Kong is lost to us!!"
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Doctor Who is such a card. I've only seen this movie twice, but it's definitely memorable. King Kong vs Gorosaurus was the highlight for me. That and Ms. Piranha...where does Toho come up with such creative names?!
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

I have to see this movie. Eisei Amamoto looks insane in the still shots I've seen. It looks like so much fun.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Re: King Kong Escapes

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

Monsterzero 1965 wrote: My favorite Kong knockoff is Mighty Peking Man (1977) because it's actually a decent movie; the photography looks pretty darn nice and the special effects and miniatures look decent. It also has Evelyne Kraft going for it.
Mighty Peking Man is one of those films that is just too bad-shit insane to not be a load of fun.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

The Kong suit is awful and the whole plot is batsh*t crazy, but the movie is 100% fun from start to finish and I'm entertained by it for that reason.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

YonggaryRGG
Yojimbo

Post by YonggaryRGG »

I haven't seen King Kong Escapes, but I would like to (subtitled) just to see Gorosaurus and Mechanikong in action.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

One of my favorite Showa films, period. It's campy, it's fun, the human plot holds interest and really plays into the monster plot, the monsters are handled well, and if I recall correctly, it's the last non-Godzilla film from the Dream Team.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Godzilla99
Ronin

Post by Godzilla99 »

I think it was fun and good

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I liked the film; it's a lot of fun. I'd probably like it even more if I could see it in Japanese subbed.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Rhodes Reason is awful when dubbed in Japanese. I really need a bilingual version of this film.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

This was one of the few Toho flicks I got to see back in the day when I was still in single digits. A politically incorrect satement is that this is probably my favorite film featuring the other King of the Monsters. Although flawed on a few fronts it usually gets the most views of any Kong flicks in my collection. Robot Kong/Mechanikong is one my favorite mechas to be rolled out of the Toho stable. But the real highlight of the flick is the villainous mastermind Dr. Who. Although a diabolical genius, willing to kill anybody who got in his way, and do other nasty stuff to get his way(messing up Susan's face if Captain Nelson refused to cooperate with him) , the bloke always seemed to mess up at the last minute.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

The One and Only wrote: A politically incorrect satement is that this is probably my favorite film featuring the other King of the Monsters. Although flawed on a few fronts it usually gets the most views of any Kong flicks in my collection.
That's not really politically incorrect. Controversial, maybe.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

HATE the Kong suit, and the Kong vs MechaniKong fight at the end didn't impress me, but other than that, it's ok.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

All the Toho ape suits suck! I saw better ape suits on the Three Stooges. The Little Rascals too! I am serious!