Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kentmick
GPN Volunteer

Re: Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

Post by Kentmick »

I loved MechaniKong but thought it was odd he didn't have some king of power. A projectile perhaps.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kentmick wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:49 pm I loved MechaniKong but thought it was odd he didn't have some king of power. A projectile perhaps.
One of the wasted aspects of the movie for me is that they bring up his special grenades, and then never really use them. Mechanic-Kong could've caused some serious destruction if he utilized them in the climax. A shame.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:36 pm
Kentmick wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:49 pm I loved MechaniKong but thought it was odd he didn't have some king of power. A projectile perhaps.
One of the wasted aspects of the movie for me is that they bring up his special grenades, and then never really use them. Mechanic-Kong could've caused some serious destruction if he utilized them in the climax. A shame.
True. However my thinking on the reason behind Dr. Who didn't send Mechanikong out with the grenades was the International Judas was reluctant to injure Kong anymore than necessary. Although he could've equipped Mechanikong with gas grenades with the same compound Who and his cronies to subdue ,and capture King Kong the first time.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The One and Only wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:56 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:36 pm
True. However my thinking on the reason behind Dr. Who didn't send Mechanikong out with the grenades was the International Judas was reluctant to injure Kong anymore than necessary. Although he could've equipped Mechanikong with gas grenades with the same compound Who and his cronies to subdue ,and capture King Kong the first time.
Yes, that's true. The goal was never to cause rampant destruction, just use Kong to mine the energy. And in that way, his goal in the climax was not to kill Kong. Still, it's a bit irksome that they introduce those grenades and then just sort of forget about them.

I like Mechanic-Kong because of it's simplicity. It's a robot, but minus it's grenades and flashlight it's really just a big robot. It's not like MG or modern mechas that are just outfitted with tons of weaponry.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Mechanikong is a metal reflection of Kong's usual style of foe. They're physical fighters with muscle, teeth, and claw.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Was this movie ever released on VHS in North America?

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I don't know how many of you watch Svengoolie, but King Kong Escapes is on his show on MeTV next Saturday, May 22 ( https://www.svengoolie.com/ )

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:12 pm Was this movie ever released on VHS in North America?
Never a licensed release, no. But there's a bootleg of the U.S. version from Hellfire/Pacific Video.

Resized Image
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'll be seeing it. I wonder if he'll do a who's a first joke with our evil doctor.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

If Who isn't on First, he could be there retroactively by TIME TRAVEL!

Yeah, there are so many bad jokes that I know will be coming...I expect a lot of monkeying around. The show will probably be totally bananas.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:00 pm I'll be seeing it. I wonder if he'll do a who's on first joke with our evil doctor.
Corrected post.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Tue May 18, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I find it weird they decided to do a loose adaptation of the King Kong Show for the second Showa Kong flick than actually a follow up to Godzilla vs. Kong with that same character.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

godjacob wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:58 pm I find it weird they decided to do a loose adaptation of the King Kong Show for the second Showa Kong flick than actually a follow up to Godzilla vs. Kong with that same character.
They did try if I am aware but they had complications getting it off the ground, Toho always wanted a sequel or successor to GVKK, King Kong Escapes is the culmination of several unmade Kong stories

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

One of the reasons I like Svengoolie is he always digs up interesting bits of information on the movie, it makes it more interesting to me. I'll be curious as to what he brings to this one!

And for those who wonder if I have anything better to do with my time, I think it's quite obvious I don't.

Edit: I just learned from Svengoolie that the guy in the Kong suit was the same as Godzilla. The idea that King Kong was played by Godzilla makes the later 'rivalry' a LOT weirder.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sat May 22, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I swear this song is such a vibe. I used to walk around town at 3 am with this song on repeat.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:58 pm I find it weird they decided to do a loose adaptation of the King Kong Show for the second Showa Kong flick than actually a follow up to Godzilla vs. Kong with that same character.
King Kong Escapes was a co-production with Rankin/Bass, which produced The King Kong Show. Clearly, Arthur Rankin, Jr. (credited as "technical advisor" in the Japanese version and as a director in the American release) had a lot of influence on the film's development.

As ROMG4 alluded to, Toho did develop other Kong stories during the five years Toho had the rights. However, the only one that made it into production was "Operation Robinson Crusoe," which, as we all know, had Kong replaced by Godzilla at the eleventh hour.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Platypus Prime wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:23 am One of the reasons I like Svengoolie is he always digs up interesting bits of information on the movie, it makes it more interesting to me. I'll be curious as to what he brings to this one!

And for those who wonder if I have anything better to do with my time, I think it's quite obvious I don't.

Edit: I just learned from Svengoolie that the guy in the Kong suit was the same as Godzilla. The idea that King Kong was played by Godzilla makes the later 'rivalry' a LOT weirder.
Kong forgot to put on his S cape.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I can't blame him, every time he wears it it's always "Save Mothra"...

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

If Mechani-Kong is introduced into the Monsterverse, I would actually be kind of bummed out if they change his face design from KKE, I just love that look a lot.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »