Monster Discussion #2: Anguirus (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JGAR
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #2: Anguirus (Showa)

Post by JGAR »

^Maybe something like that could work. Also, though very unlikely, a spike shooter.
Yooo 8-)

kiryu42red
Interpol Agent

Post by kiryu42red »

anguirus big heart, but brainless

i agree. he doesn't think before he does stuff

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

Post by wizard of the north »

... i don't get why godzilla teamed up with anguirus for battles considering he was more of a hindrance than a help. one of the weaker monsters of the series ...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

What Anguirus lacks in offensive weapons, he makes up for in spirit. He's got guts and is a loyal allie. That's why Godzilla teams up with him.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

edgaguirus wrote:He's got guts and is a loyal allie. That's why Godzilla teams up with him.
... i think the main reason for anguirus, at least in the later films, was to show his friendship/bond with godzilla ...

... and if i recall correctly, angiurus is depicted as communicating in english with godzilla in godzilla vs. gigan which was a rare thing amongst the monsters. usually they communicated non-verbally with sign language ...

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

wizard of the north wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:He's got guts and is a loyal allie. That's why Godzilla teams up with him.
... and if i recall correctly, angiurus is depicted as communicating in english with godzilla in godzilla vs. gigan which was a rare thing amongst the monsters. usually they communicated non-verbally with sign language ...
Well, the english dialogue was a counterpart to the Japanese speech bubbles in the Japanese version. Its seems pretty clear that they weren't actually talking because that "record noise" that you hear when they communicate is heard later sans dialogue.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

One of my favorite monsters. I'm actually kind of glad he didn't appear in the Heisei series. They probably would've given him a beam, which would take away from the underdog aspect. He doesn't have a beam, so he has to fight the stronger monsters tooth and claw. Truly, a courageous monster.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

firedragon
Samurai

Post by firedragon »

Anguirus is my favorite monster in the Godzilla series. He's got a great design and a great personality.
Being step on by Godzilla would be a dream come true for me, when I'm so old I have my own personal IV pole.

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

... another thing that distinguishes anguirus as a rather pathetic monster in the toho lineup is the sound he emits from his mouth. it's kind of whiny and plaintive ...

... i find it extremely hard to understand why godzilla ordered anguirus to leave monster island and go to japan on his own in godzilla vs. gigan when godzilla should have known that he was just going to get his ass kicked, which is exactly what did happen ...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Chris55 wrote:
wizard of the north wrote:... another thing that distinguishes anguirus as a rather pathetic monster in the toho lineup is the sound he emits from his mouth. it's kind of whiny and plaintive ...

... i find it extremely hard to understand why godzilla ordered anguirus to leave monster island and go to japan on his own in godzilla vs. gigan when godzilla should have known that he was just going to get his ass kicked, which is exactly what did happen ...
Wha!? I love his roar?
Seriously, one man's "whiny and plaintive" is another man's "mournful and hauntingly beautiful."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

He's a classic, what can I say? Plus some of you have said all that needs to be said anyway. He's instilled with courage and can fight, even if he's not a top-level monster akin to Godzilla or King Ghidorah.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

Chris55 wrote:
wizard of the north wrote:... another thing that distinguishes anguirus as a rather pathetic monster in the toho lineup is the sound he emits from his mouth. it's kind of whiny and plaintive ...

Also, he didn't get his ass kicked, he just got bored and left.
... really? are you sure about that? i haven't seen that version of godzilla vs. gigan. in the version i've seen anguirus gets totally pummelled by mortar and electric rays from the japanese army and is forced to retreat ...

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Chris55 wrote:

Also, he didn't get his ass kicked, he just got bored and left.
... really? are you sure about that? i haven't seen that version of godzilla vs. gigan. in the version i've seen anguirus gets totally pummelled by mortar and electric rays from the japanese army and is forced to retreat ...
As every Godzilla film has shown, the military's weapons do absolutely nothing to kaiju. This is no exception.

Anguirus was not overwhelmed by the amount of firepower of the military in that scene. He just didn't want to deal with their shit. Notice how there was no scarring on Anguirus and no emitting cries of pain that he would yell out later in the film against Gigan. In other words, the military did nothing to Anguirus other than annoy him.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:Anguirus was not overwhelmed by the amount of firepower of the military in that scene. He just didn't want to deal with their shit. Notice how there was no scarring on Anguirus and no emitting cries of pain that he would yell out later in the film against Gigan. In other words, the military did nothing to Anguirus other than annoy him.
... in terms of scarring to angurius' body i'll need to take a closer look. and anyway, scarring isn't an indication of being wounded. scarring occurs when wounds are healing, not when inflicted. but as far as crying is concerned, anguirus cries all the time, even when he isn't under attack ...

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:Anguirus was not overwhelmed by the amount of firepower of the military in that scene. He just didn't want to deal with their shit. Notice how there was no scarring on Anguirus and no emitting cries of pain that he would yell out later in the film against Gigan. In other words, the military did nothing to Anguirus other than annoy him.
... in terms of scarring to angurius' body i'll need to take a closer look. and anyway, scarring isn't an indication of being wounded. scarring occurs when wounds are healing, not when inflicted. but as far as crying is concerned, anguirus cries all the time, even when he isn't under attack ...
As I remember, Anguirus was sent to the Japanese mainland by Godzilla to act as a scout, because they heard the tape being played. Anguirus was spy for the King of the Monsters. He saw what he needed to see, then left.
... there's a version of this film where he doesn't get attacked by the japanese military on his scouting mission?

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

Godzilla 1995 wrote:As I remember, Anguirus was sent to the Japanese mainland by Godzilla to act as a scout, because they heard the tape being played. Anguirus was spy for the King of the Monsters. He saw what he needed to see, then left.

... there's a version of this film where he doesn't get attacked by the japanese military on his scouting mission?

Uh, no. Did I say that? I don't think I did. I'm just explaining why he upped and left.
... and you believe the military attack had nothing to do with it?

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

No, those are just roars, not cries of pain. Anytime Anguirus roared in that scene it was a regular roar, not a roar of pain.

Point is, Anguirus wasn't harmed at all by the military's attack in that scene. No doubt about it.

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
No, those are just roars, not cries of pain. Anytime Anguirus roared in that scene it was a regular roar, not a roar of pain.

Point is, Anguirus wasn't harmed at all by the military's attack in that scene. No doubt about it.
... not only was anguirus physically harmed by the army attack, but he suffered SEVERE mental trauma as well, which is why he fled ...

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

wizard of the north wrote: ... not only was anguirus physically harmed by the army attack, but he suffered SEVERE mental trauma as well, which is why he fled ...
I hope you're joking, because I don't see any physical damage done to Anguirus during that attack, nor does Anguirus show any signs of mental trauma. Again, he's a giant kaiju. Tanks, missiles, lasers and planes do nothing to him. This is no exception.

Again, Anguirus did not flee. He just didn't want to deal with the army's BS.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Anguirus is an irradiated ankylosaur right? Would this mean that Anguirus is/ was a herbivor? Did the radiation mutate his teeth into a more predatory set? Which one do you think he is?
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"