Monster Discussion #2: Anguirus (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #2: Anguirus (Showa)

Post by Hedorah »

Use this thread to discuss the Showa series version of Anguirus, which includes appearances in Godzilla Raids Again, Destroy All Monsters, All Monsters Attack, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Megalon and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

Ok now that that is put aside lets discuss Anguirus and his powers in full. To start off with, do you think Anguirus is powerful or not?
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Re: Anguirus: Powerful or not (I want it to be serious)

Post by Hotrod93 »

Considering that he doesnt have any type of beam weapon, willing to run into Gigans buzzsaw, biting and holding on Ghidorah's neck while in flight Id say he has more bravery than power.

Anguirus I can see fighting any type of monster but I just dont see him taking down any Tier 1 monsters alone.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Hotrod93 wrote:Considering that he doesnt have any type of beam weapon, willing to run into Gigans buzzsaw, biting and holding on Ghidorah's neck while in flight Id say he has more bravery than power.

Anguirus I can see fighting any type of monster but I just dont see him taking down any Tier 1 monsters.
Yeah same, he just doesn't have the physical capabilities
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Hotrod93 wrote:Considering that he doesnt have any type of beam weapon, willing to run into Gigans buzzsaw, biting and holding on Ghidorah's neck while in flight Id say he has more bravery than power.

Anguirus I can see fighting any type of monster but I just dont see him taking down any Tier 1 monsters alone.
While Anguirus is indeed brave, he tends to need another kaiju to back him up in order to display this to its fullest.

After all, Mechagodzilla was able to brutally beat him and have Anguirus run away, while the military was able to drive him off at the start of Godzilla vs. Gigan. If Godzilla is around though? It seems like he will suddenly charge into hell and back if needed. One of the reasons why he just seems like a great ally for the King of the Monsters, even if he isn't very powerful in the slightest.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Let's face it. Anguirus may not have a lot of power, and he may not be to bright... But he has heart. That's what makes him so likable as a Kaiju.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

KaijuSapian wrote:Let's face it. Anguirus may not have a lot of power, and he may not be to bright... But he has heart. That's what makes him so likable as a Kaiju.
Thats one of the reasons I love Anguirus, he's just a brave and heart filled kaiju!
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Anguirus isn't powerful - he's not famous for his power, it's for his personality. Few kaiju have a real personality going, but Anguirus seems to have one.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

My mom used to refer to him as a shoe brush.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

I dunno why people think he's brave. He ran face-first into a saw. That's just...'tarded.
bleep bloop

James23873
Monsterland Worker

Post by James23873 »

Powerful as a character yes, not so much as a kaiju. I do think though that his spikes are more powerful than most people think. They're often overlooked because King Ghidorah was able to stomp on them repeatedly without any effects. But I think that was just because Ghidorah has all those tough scales for armor.
You know, Darth Vader cannot be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.
-Woody Boyd

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

James23873 wrote:I do think though that his spikes are more powerful than most people think. They're often overlooked because King Ghidorah was able to stomp on them repeatedly without any effects. But I think that was just because Ghidorah has all those tough scales for armor.
How so? Wondering as, beyond deflecting some SDF attacks in Godzilla vs. Gigan, I can't recall his spiked shield doing much.

He certainly never drew blood from King Ghidorah's thick hide from it, even when leaping backwards while Godzilla held him.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Anguirus is like a bulletproof vest. You wear it so you don't die from things that would otherwise kill or cripple you. Only said vest in this case has teeth, claws, and ample amounts of courage. But it's average at best. Mostly there as a distraction. And when the time comes (which it usually does when Anguirus is involved)?

He'll take the bullet for ya.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

As others have said, Anguirus isn't all that strong. It's his bravery, personality and loyalty to Godzilla that make him stand out. He's kinda like a wolf that keeps on attacking a grizzly bear... Even though the grizzly keeps swatting him into trees twenty feet away. You've gotta admire his spunk. :P
Legionmaster wrote:I dunno why people think he's brave. He ran face-first into a saw. That's just...'tarded.
I think you mean retardedly brave!

>_>
Arbok wrote:He certainly never drew blood from King Ghidorah's thick hide from it, even when leaping backwards while Godzilla held him.
He may not have drawn blood, but I think it's clear that the attack still hurt Ghidorah.
Tomzilla wrote:And when the time comes (which it usually does when Anguirus is involved)?

He'll take the bullet for ya.
By running face-first into the gun. :P
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

No, however much I love him, Anguirus isn't very powerful. But I do think a lot of people underestimate him. He is extremely durable and has a wicked bite. And, if you think about it, he's only gone up against pretty strong kaiju. It'd be interesting to see him go up against a lower tier monster.

James23873
Monsterland Worker

Post by James23873 »

Arbok wrote:
James23873 wrote:I do think though that his spikes are more powerful than most people think. They're often overlooked because King Ghidorah was able to stomp on them repeatedly without any effects. But I think that was just because Ghidorah has all those tough scales for armor.
How so? Wondering as, beyond deflecting some SDF attacks in Godzilla vs. Gigan, I can't recall his spiked shield doing much.

He certainly never drew blood from King Ghidorah's thick hide from it, even when leaping backwards while Godzilla held him.

But wasn't that the attack that made Ghidorah retreat?

And look at his opponents, Godzilla, Gigan, King Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla. He never got a chance to show off what those spikes can do against more normal monsters, power wise. They would probably be more effective against someone like Rodan, Mothra, Gorosaurus, etc...

Anyways that's what I think, although it can't be proven based on what we've seen in the movies.
You know, Darth Vader cannot be Luke Skywalker's father. They don't have the same last name.
-Woody Boyd

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

I think Anguirus could take down monsters like Baragon and Gorosaurus
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Legion1979 wrote:Just because Angilas didn't draw blood from King Ghidora by jumping against his body doesn't necessarily mean did didn't hurt him. I don't think anyone should be expecting the SFX crew to throw blood all over the Ghidora suit in order to illustrate how badly he'd been hurt.
Why not? They did so in GvsMG plenty of times.
bleep bloop

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Tyler wrote:Anguirus didn't run into Gigan's saw belly on purpose. It looked like Gigan was trying to block him from helping Godzilla (who was getting blasted). It doesn't really matter if Anguirus is strong anway. Personality is what matters most when creating a monster, and Anguirus has lots of that.
Most people watch these movies for monster fights, not if the monster has personality, it takes dedicated fans to appreciate that, but power does matter in some cases.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

Legionmaster wrote:I dunno why people think he's brave. He ran face-first into a saw. That's just...'tarded.
Valor and foolishness are rarely mutually exclusive. Being brave often requires one to choose the less logical and safer option in favor of something, well... stupid.

Like I said, Anguirus isn't bright, but he has heart.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Exactly but to them thats whats important
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!