Monster Discussion #2: Anguirus (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Re: Monster Discussion #2: Anguirus (Showa)

Post by Dannybeane »

Anguirus has always been my favorite kaiju ever since I was 5 years old. His best films are GRA where he was super fierce and DAM. G vs Gigan also gets a special mention as I really like his shell slam attack.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Okay, I just randomly read on Wikipedia that Anguirus apparently had/was supposed to have poisonous spines, an ultrasonic roar, incredible regeneration, and... an atomic beam?
Are any of these backed up by evidence? If so, what would that mean for Anguirus as a kaiju?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Who writes this crap?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Follinollante wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:10 am Okay, I just randomly read on Wikipedia...
Well, there you go.

For future reference, go to Wikzilla for this stuff instead. They actually source stuff properly:

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Anguirus#Abilities

But there is some level of truth to it. Wikizilla does list most of those abilities, all sourced from Japanese publications like encyclopedias, manga, and novelizations.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Woah, I had no idea he actually could do most of this shit. I've been warming to him lately, and this pushes it up a notch.

And, yeah, I realize it's Wikipedia. I just got sidetracked to that page, saw his abilities, and it just got me thinking.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

My favorite version of Anguirus. He was one of the very few saving graces of GRA and proved to be a highlight in subsequent movies

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Dannybeane wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:23 am G vs Gigan also gets a special mention as I really like his shell slam attack.
I like that moment as well. Gigan and Ghidorah were kicking his ass, but then he gets even with that slam attack.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:24 pm
Dannybeane wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:23 am G vs Gigan also gets a special mention as I really like his shell slam attack.
I like that moment as well. Gigan and Ghidorah were kicking his ass, but then he gets even with that slam attack.
Fun fact, that exact move was brought back in Gojira Kaijuu Daikessen, along with Godzilla's overhead body slam and, I think, one or two more moves.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

https://youtu.be/UdyOG5W1LbI?si=z5iZ0rpF2gK3OdQi

I was just watching this video about the Four Peril monsters in Chinese mythology. The descriptions of the Qiongqi sound surprisingly close to Anguirus. A cow with a dog's head, fangs, and hedgehog quills? It's not too far off. The description of it as a vicious killer that seeks conflict sounds like GRA Anguirus, too. And it's described as "the friend of the hate-filled ignorant," which... kinda sounds like Godzilla? Yeah, I'm reaching. :lol:

Obviously Anguirus was based primarily on Ankylosaurus, but I wonder if Qiongqi wasn't also an influence on his design and personality.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla is partly inspired by dragons, so Anguirus having legendary inspiration is also possible.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:28 pm https://youtu.be/UdyOG5W1LbI?si=z5iZ0rpF2gK3OdQi

I was just watching this video about the Four Peril monsters in Chinese mythology. The descriptions of the Qiongqi sound surprisingly close to Anguirus. A cow with a dog's head, fangs, and hedgehog quills? It's not too far off. The description of it as a vicious killer that seeks conflict sounds like GRA Anguirus, too. And it's described as "the friend of the hate-filled ignorant," which... kinda sounds like Godzilla? Yeah, I'm reaching. :lol:

Obviously Anguirus was based primarily on Ankylosaurus, but I wonder if Qiongqi wasn't also an influence on his design and personality.
That was a really interesting video, Jag. Thanks for sharing. Not sure if there was any inspiration for Anguirus, there. But it's a cool idea. And who's to say they couldn't make a movie that equates Qiong Qi to Anguirus and the other perils to other kaiju? Could be a lot of fun.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:28 pm https://youtu.be/UdyOG5W1LbI?si=z5iZ0rpF2gK3OdQi

That doesn't remind me so much of the Showa incarnation, but I certainly believe that is EXACTLY what inspired the Angurius design for the original version of GMK:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Perils

If you think it's a coincidence, Kaneko used the four benevolent animals as a basis for ideas in Gamera 3:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Symbols
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yeah, this was definitely something Kaneko had in mind. GRA's creators? Who knows.

@HG117: That has Monsterverse written all over it. Whether Anguirus is there or not, I'd love to see Godzilla and Kong taking on kaijuized versions of the Four Perils.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio