Monster Discussion #1: Godzilla 1954

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla 50's talk

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

I think the design of the 55 suit in and of itself was good but the limitations of its day caused poor translation from the paper to the suit. The only the I like about the suit itself is the spines. The 54 suit is my favorite of the franchise.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 50's talk

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Godzilla Lover101, it seems like you enjoy making these kinds of threads where you can discuss your feelings on one particular monster. But here's the problem, everything you've done revolving around that topic of discussion has already been done. There is already a Varan discussion thread, a King Ceasar discussion thread and a Godzilla '50s discussion thread.

Here is the Godzilla '50s one for you:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=4&t=491

Next time you make a discussion thread here on TK, might I suggest using the search function to check and see if the thread you were about to make doesn't already exist?
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

JGAR
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #1: Godzilla 1954

Post by JGAR »

I like how Goji54 looks right at everything below him, if you met this Godzilla looking down at you, what would you do?
Yooo 8-)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

What's creepy about Shodai-Goji is he doesn't really look at what's below him; it's more like he looks through them.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

The definition of a Godzilla design: Godzilla's (1954) suit. Obviously there are other suits I love too, but this was a solid beginning.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I'd like to see them bring him back. But, NOT as Kiryu. As an actual Godzilla. They planned to do it with Ghost Godzilla. Why they scrapped that is beyond me.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
gzilla46 wrote:I'd like to see them bring him back. But, NOT as Kiryu. As an actual Godzilla. They planned to do it with Ghost Godzilla. Why they scrapped that is beyond me.
Because it was a stupid idea.
It was a ridiculous idea, but I don't see how it was stupid. The concept of Godzilla fighting another Godzilla sounds pretty cool to me.

The problem to me isn't the concept. It's the fact that it would have been a Heisei Godzilla film...
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

But, overall, 54 Godzilla is cool.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:So the fact that he would be fighting a ghost doesn't sound stupid to you? =/
I keep picturing Godzilla battling a Forbidden Planet-esque "Id" version of himself. Imagining it that way, I think it would so abstract that it would be either amazing or completely unbelievable.
I dare say it would have been one of the most polarizing films in the franchise.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
Dust_pan wrote: It was a ridiculous idea, but I don't see how it was stupid. The concept of Godzilla fighting another Godzilla sounds pretty cool to me.
So the fact that he would be fighting a ghost doesnt sound stupid to you? =/
Like I said. I consider it ridiculous, but not necessarily stupid.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I don't consider it ridiculous (which implies tat it merits ridicule) or stupid. It's bizarre, certainly somewhat outré - but, then, some of my favorite movies in the series are quite outré. I see nothing more ridiculous or stupid about a spectral version of Godzilla than about a rose-zilla with a girl's soul, or the spirits of the war dead possessing a giant monster.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

eabaker wrote:I don't consider it ridiculous (which implies tat it merits ridicule) or stupid. It's bizarre, certainly somewhat outré - but, then, some of my favorite movies in the series are quite outré. I see nothing more ridiculous or stupid about a spectral version of Godzilla than about a rose-zilla with a girl's soul, or the spirits of the war dead possessing a giant monster.
That's a better way of putting it. It's different and maybe even bizarre, but not necessarily stupid. I figured ridiculous would be a better word to use since most people would probably laugh at the idea of Godzilla fighting a ghost Godzilla. But as you mentioned, it's no more ridiculous than Biollante or GMK. Or for that matter Mechagodzilla (Seriously, a ROBOT Godzilla?).

Whatever the case, it could have been a neat way to end the series. With the old Godzilla meeting the new.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Dust_pan wrote:
eabaker wrote:I don't consider it ridiculous (which implies tat it merits ridicule) or stupid. It's bizarre, certainly somewhat outré - but, then, some of my favorite movies in the series are quite outré. I see nothing more ridiculous or stupid about a spectral version of Godzilla than about a rose-zilla with a girl's soul, or the spirits of the war dead possessing a giant monster.
That's a better way of putting it. It's different and maybe even bizarre, but not necessarily stupid. I figured ridiculous would be a better word to use since most people would probably laugh at the idea of Godzilla fighting a ghost Godzilla. But as you mentioned, it's no more ridiculous than Biollante or GMK. Or for that matter Mechagodzilla (Seriously, a ROBOT Godzilla?).

Whatever the case, it could have been a neat way to end the series. With the old Godzilla meeting the new.
This. I always thout that the concept of Godzilla fighting the original or another member of his species would be absolutely Awesome :D
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

LiquidG wrote:I always thought that the concept of Godzilla fighting the original or another member of his species would be absolutely Awesome :D
I've wanted Godzilla to fight himself (not a clone or counterpart) FOREVER! I just hope Legendary or Toho will one day, will officially tie 2 universes together and we can get Godzilla vs Godzilla clean and straight.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:
LiquidG wrote:I always thought that the concept of Godzilla fighting the original or another member of his species would be absolutely Awesome :D
I've wanted Godzilla to fight himself (not a clone or counterpart) FOREVER! I just hope Legendary or Toho will one day, will officially tie 2 universes together and we can get Godzilla vs Godzilla clean and straight.
Personally I would prefer if he fought his 1954 counterpart resurrected GMK style, or maybe another member of his species, heck imagine if Godzilla hadn't had died in the Heisei series, eventually Junior would have grown older and would have fought his adoptive father over territory :D speaking of Godzilla 54 that is what is being discussed so I will add my opinions, this is by far the definition of Godzilla, sure 64 is my favorite but this one is so close to being number one, whenever I watch Gojira, I can't help but be reminded of an 80s slasher movie, the original Godzilla is in my opinion the Slasher villain of Kaiju, he's absolutely hell bent on killing us and its disturbing to no end. Unlike a real animal, he kills not for food or being afraid, but kills for reasons unknown and unnatural, its that aspect of him that makes him and to an extent the first movie so otherworldly

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

LiquidG wrote:Personally I would prefer if he fought his 1954 counterpart resurrected GMK style, or maybe another member of his species.
I've always wanted Godzilla 1975 to come back from sleeping at the bottom of the ocean to fight the present Godzilla (ex: Godzilla 2000). That would be EPIC!
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:
LiquidG wrote:Personally I would prefer if he fought his 1954 counterpart resurrected GMK style, or maybe another member of his species.
I've always wanted Godzilla 1975 to come back from sleeping at the bottom of the ocean to fight the present Godzilla (ex: Godzilla 2000). That would be EPIC!
That would be epic but I'm such a nerd when it comes to logic that it would have to make sense to me for me to enjoy it. I'm not the kind of person who can enjoy illogical crossovers no matter how epic the concept was ( Spock Vs Darth Vader for example ) if it was made it would have to be a continuation of the Showa series,

Carthormerr
Interpol Agent

Post by Carthormerr »

I really like the simplicity of his near invincibility that you will never hear unless you watch the original version.

"He absorbed a massive amount of atomic radiation, but Godzilla still survived. What do you think could kill him?"

That statement tells you all you need to know. The first time I watched it in Japanese I thought, well it makes perfect sense when you word it like that.
"A monster can live forever"

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Living Corpse wrote:Something I like is that even though he never fought another monster
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0255198/

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I call for a merge of the thread with the same title as this on the next page:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91

Anyway, definitely one of my favorite Godzilla incarnations ever. I see nothing wrong with this no matter ow many times I watch the 1954 film. A lumbering, indestructible tower of destruction...
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!