Monster Discussion #1: Godzilla 1954

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
UltramanGoji

Re: Monster Discussion #1: Godzilla 1954

Post by UltramanGoji »

Missingno. wrote:I call for a merge of the thread with the same title as this on the next page:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91
Why? One's for discussion of the movie, this is for discussion of the monster itself.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Missingno. wrote:I call for a merge of the thread with the same title as this on the next page:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91
Why? One's for discussion of the movie, this is for discussion of the monster itself.
Oh, is that what it is? I guess I didn't catch the movie/monster discussion title differences.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Always loved it when this fucker flipped that bridge
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

The only Godzilla I find legitimately frightening. Just a black, confused, angry mass -- it's understated enough that you don't read the filmmaker's attempt at horror through it (something I worry about in the 2016 film) -- but so animal and alien that you know there's no reasoning with it. Everything about the way the suit is filmed during destruction sequences in the movie aids this effect.

Also, the moment he rears his head over the hill at Odo Island is maximum uncanny; one of my favorite scenes in the series.

The puppet version looks a little goofy sometimes, but, like, whatever, man.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Can we all agree this is probably the most tragic monster of the whole series? Cause I feel he is. He suffered PTSD and un-godly burns, his home was destroyed so he is displaced, he didn't even get a quick or painless death, he suffered a slow and aggonozingly painful death. And thanks to the Alternate Reality movies, he can not find peace even in death, either coming back as a puppet for angry ghosts, a cyborg weapon used by man, or the walking corpse like regenerating monster in Resurgence.

The only monster I can say probably came close to suffering as much as him was Burning Godzilla.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Living Corpse wrote:Can we all agree this is probably the most tragic monster of the whole series? Cause I feel he is. He suffered PTSD and un-godly burns, his home was destroyed so he is displaced, he didn't even get a quick or painless death, he suffered a slow and aggonozingly painful death. And thanks to the Alternate Reality movies, he can not find peace even in death, either coming back as a puppet for angry ghosts, a cyborg weapon used by man, or the walking corpse like regenerating monster in Resurgence.

The only monster I can say probably came close to suffering as much as him was Burning Godzilla.
I think Minilla's the most tragic monster, or that Condor…

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Living Corpse wrote:Can we all agree this is probably the most tragic monster of the whole series? Cause I feel he is. He suffered PTSD and un-godly burns, his home was destroyed so he is displaced, he didn't even get a quick or painless death, he suffered a slow and aggonozingly painful death. And thanks to the Alternate Reality movies, he can not find peace even in death, either coming back as a puppet for angry ghosts, a cyborg weapon used by man, or the walking corpse like regenerating monster in Resurgence.

Yeah, I was going to say -- One of the things I can give the Heisei series real props for is the element of tragic inevitability it lends its Godzilla -- that's a monster who lives and dies without peace.

But the same certainly applies to the '54 film. I actually don't feel much sympathy for him for most of the film, as he's an engine of sheer terror, but that scene where Serizawa and Ogata dive under water at the end, with the gentle soundtrack played over Godzilla resting against a rock? I think that's an amazing emotional turn -- adding another huge layer of complexity to the final act. The film does ask for sympathy for Godzilla, and successfully, but only in his final scene. It waits for the last minutes to impress on you that he's a victim too.

If I haven't made this abundantly clear, I think Godzilla '54 is so f*cking good.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

He never asked to be turned into a god of war. In that he is a victim of war as much as humans are. Who better to punish than THE ultimate victim, an animal torn from his peaceful existence by forces beyond his understanding or control. At least Heisei had a friend in Junior.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Living Corpse wrote:He never asked to be turned into a god of war. In that he is a victim of war as much as humans are. Who better to punish then THE ultimate victim, an animal torn from his peaceful existence by forces beyond his understanding or control.
Yeah, but I think it's kinda hilarious to feel sorry for him, his origin is tragic sure, but there's nothing sympathetic about his actions, which is why no one's like "awwww, it isn't his fault" when he stomps through the city

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:He never asked to be turned into a god of war. In that he is a victim of war as much as humans are. Who better to punish then THE ultimate victim, an animal torn from his peaceful existence by forces beyond his understanding or control.
Yeah, but I think it's kinda hilarious to feel sorry for him, his origin is tragic sure, but there's nothing sympathetic about his actions, which is why no one's like "awwww, it isn't his fault" when he stomps through the city
Right, which is why I think the ending is about as sympathetic as it gets -- it portrays him as an animal, allowing a tinge of complexity into the final scenes, but still completely retaining the sense of terror for most of its run time. It never takes attempts to mitigate the destruction with an element of sympathy.

Even then, that tinge of sympathy at the end is purely asked of the viewer, from the way it's filmed and the music (Godzilla just chilling on that rock, animal-like). It doesn't come from any of the characters. Even Yamane, the character most vehemently against killing Godzilla, takes his stance for primarily humanitarian reasons -- Godzilla survived an atomic blast and may be scientifically useful (this in addition to his own interest as a paleontologist).

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
He's a tragic villain, you're not supposed to excuse his action but understand them.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla 50's talk

Post by LegendZilla »

*edit* Never mind.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

This is from one of the guide books to Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla and it depicts the birth/mutation of the original Godzilla. Idk what it says other then he was the only one to survive the blast with horrific burns and that the rest of his kind were killed.

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

The "burn" thing was always one of my favorite things about this whole setting.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The Godzilla couple in the cave cuddling makes me feel both happy and sad.