Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by szmigiel »

This is probably my least favorite Godzilla film for many reason. I will try and list from the harshest issues down to the more minor nitpicks.
  • My big issue is with the daikaiju footage, both the stock footage and the new footage.
    The stock footage doesn’t mix that well with the new footage, the night filter does not really help to match the lighting between the two.
    Godzilla and King Ghidorah look very different between the stock footage and the new footage.
    The Godzilla suit is noticeably falling apart in much of the new footage.
    They use the Son of Godzilla suit for the swimming scenes, so that’s a 3rd look for Godzilla in the same movie.
    There is a lot of the daikaiju just standing around, most noticeable with King Ghidorah with his necks motionless.
    Pretty much all the military scenes are stock footage.
    The whole bit where Anguirus swims to Japan, just to get pushed back by the maser cannons, only to reach Monster island, and again to swim back with Godzilla having him say “Hurry”.
    When Gigan and King Ghidorah first show up and circle the Godzilla Tower they are about half its size, of course later they are as big as the tower during the fight. Minor complaint but this is something the 60’s films tired avoid.
    The music is stock, while it is nice to hear the Ifukube music, it is more just background music as it wasn’t scored to fit the action onscreen.
    Smoking is a major plot point, in a kids movie, I know it was a different time but damn it is like cigarettes are a sponsor of the the film.
    The candid way the villains claim they are going to just kill off all the daikaiju once they finish with Worlds Children’s Land.
The things I do like.
  • The best part of the movie is probably the human story as they trying to uncover who the bad guys are and what they are up too.
    I also like Gigan, although I think he is used better in Godzilla Vs Megalon.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

szmigiel wrote:Smoking is a major plot point, in a kids movie, I know it was a different time but damn it is like cigarettes are a sponsor of the the film.
Not a complaint I've ever heard about the movie before...

I will point out that cigarettes are specifically a tool of evil in the film.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

szmigiel wrote:cigarettes are a sponsor of the the film.
The scene where Sakurai gives Chikiro cigs in Kong is better, though.

"Okay, but if a policeman asks, I know nothing, right?"

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

eabaker wrote:
szmigiel wrote:Smoking is a major plot point, in a kids movie, I know it was a different time but damn it is like cigarettes are a sponsor of the the film.
Not a complaint I've ever heard about the movie before...

I will point out that cigarettes are specifically a tool of evil in the film.
That is why it is near the end of my list and more of nitpick.
And the brothers lighter is used so the good guys know he is alive, so it isn't only a tool of evil in the film.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

szmigiel wrote:-snip-
I knows it's your opinion and all, but I think Gigan holds up better than others in the nitpicking department.
To address some of your issues:
- The standing around is a valid criticism, though MechaGodzilla falls victim to this syndrome in ToM.
- Jet Jaguar had to travel to Monster Island to get Godzilla in Godzilla vs. Megalon.
- Godzilla's Revenge has three different looks for Godzilla as well.
- Megalon's military scenes are more notably stock footage. The attack on the city is entirely stock footage, aside from Megalon firing his laser.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

That's 'cause all that intravenous stuff was no good for them.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

kamilleblu wrote:
szmigiel wrote:-snip-
I knows it's your opinion and all, but I think Gigan holds up better than others in the nitpicking department.
I know many other Godzilla movies are guilty of some of these nitpicks, especially during the Champion Festival era. My issue is that Godzilla Vs. Gigan have so many of them.
kamilleblu wrote:To address some of your issues:
- The standing around is a valid criticism, though MechaGodzilla falls victim to this syndrome in ToM.
Godzilla Vs. Hedorah is also very guilty of this, there is a lot of the daikaiju trash talking to each other. I think it stands out so much do to King Ghidorah who in all previous entries was always in motion. As for Mechagodzilla’s lack of movement from time to time, it fits his mechanical personality, more then it fits King Ghidorahs.
kamilleblu wrote:- Jet Jaguar had to travel to Monster Island to get Godzilla in Godzilla vs. Megalon.
Yup at that is why Godzilla shows up so late for the final battle. I just see Anguirus swim to Japan just to get pushed back nothing but monster filler footage.
kamilleblu wrote:- Godzilla's Revenge has three different looks for Godzilla as well.
Very true and it is one of a number of things that hurt that film as well. However since all three are jungle they blend a bit better, none are spliced in with new footage that looks radically different, and they don’t try to put a night filter on the old stock footage.
kamilleblu wrote:- Megalon's military scenes are more notably stock footage. The attack on the city is entirely stock footage, aside from Megalon firing his laser.
Both movies use pretty much the same identical footage for the military. They both use many of the same scenes of the city destruction as well. Megalon also borrows footage from Godzilla Vs. Gigan. There are plenty of shots where you see parts of Gigan in the Megalon rampage. They gave Megalon the yellow lightning so they can use King Ghidorah destruction scenes. The best rampage footage from Megalon is the destruction of the dam, which I like a little better then the new footage from Godzilla Vs. Gigan, but they are both pretty lackluster.

There is also stock footage of Godzilla and Gigan fighting in Godzilla Vs. Megalon that are stock footage for Godzilla Vs. Gigan. But that footage blends in better then the footage from Ghidorah the three headed monster used in Godzilla Vs. Gigan.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

szmigiel wrote: There is a lot of the daikaiju just standing around, most noticeable with King Ghidorah with his necks motionless.
King Ghidorah's the only one in the movie I remember just standing there - and it was pretty obvious, considering how crazy he moves in other movies.

I think MG in ToMG is a different situation, though; Ghidorah's suit was getting pretty old at that point, so they probably felt safer using stock footage for his attacks instead risking the suit falling apart. MechaGodzilla was only two-ish by the time it as used in ToMG, so it couldn't have been in as much disrepair as Ghidorah to that it couldn't move.
I also like Gigan, although I think he is used better in Godzilla Vs Megalon.
You know, a lot of people cite this movie as why Gigan's personality is so cool, and while it's there, Megalon really uses it more effectively.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Mechagigan wrote:King Ghidorah's the only one in the movie I remember just standing there - and it was pretty obvious, considering how crazy he moves in other movies.
Anguirus does a fair bit of standing around as well. Not the battle didn't have it's moments.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

^ Anguirus was falling apart at times, too. Just look at his face during the scene where he comes ashore;

He looks like he's been hiding in a landfill for a couple years.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mechagigan wrote:^ Anguirus was falling apart at times, too. Just look at his face during the scene where he comes ashore;

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/god ... 0104201204

Just contributes to his underdog appeal. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Mechagigan wrote:^ Anguirus was falling apart at times, too. Just look at his face during the scene where he comes ashore;

I DID always notice the weird green and red paint splotches that was on him in this movie, and I never noticed it in DAM...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

That's not the primary suit used for filming. This one was used specifically for water scenes, which didn't have a mechanically operated jaw like the other one.
Last edited by Goji on Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

^ Makes sense, since he looked way better otherwise (and continued to later on in MG). I figured they shot the scene from the picture last, explaining why he looks so worn.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd noticed the spots but never gave it much thought. I can see water damage effecting the suit.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Goji wrote:

That's not the primary suit used for filming. This one was used specifically for water scenes, which didn't have a mechanically operated jaw like the other one.
That explains why his mouth literally didn't open a single bit when he roared during that scene...
I sat and re-watched this movie last night, and despite ALL the stock footage, I really enjoy this film! I don't have a problem going along with the fact that most of it doesn't fit, I just don't care.
I DO kinda dislike the fact that Ghidorah and Anguirus just stood around, doing nothing at all though during some scenes.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I sat and re-watched this movie last night, and despite ALL the stock footage, I really enjoy this film! I don't have a problem going along with the fact that most of it doesn't fit, I just don't care.
Yeah, I've never seen the use of stock footage as a problem per se. They're using that footage to tell a new story, and they're telling it well; we gladly accept collage as a valid means of expression in other media.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

^ I'm fine with stock footage when it does something they would have done anyways, like Ghidorah's beams being used as Megalon's, or the shot of a tank melting. It gets the point that they're 'attacking' across, and that's it.

Stock footage that makes up entire scenes, though, just comes off as incredibly cheap and is usually very easy to spot (For example, the night and day issue in Ghidorah's scenes).

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Mechagigan wrote:^ I'm fine with stock footage when it does something they would have done anyways, like Ghidorah's beams being used as Megalon's, or the shot of a tank melting. It gets the point that they're 'attacking' across, and that's it.

Stock footage that makes up entire scenes, though, just comes off as incredibly cheap and is usually very easy to spot (For example, the night and day issue in Ghidorah's scenes).
It just doesn't bother me. I'm able to watch it, and just go along with it. I see what you mean, believe me I do, and I'd love to have seen new footage used, but with what we got, none of it bothers me to the point where I'm taken out of the movie.
I find it not difficult at all to just "roll with it".

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mechagigan wrote:Stock footage that makes up entire scenes, though, just comes off as incredibly cheap and is usually very easy to spot (For example, the night and day issue in Ghidorah's scenes).
Again, I make the comparison to collage, in which we're always aware that the pieces come from other sources. Not only does that awareness not disrupt our reading of the work, it informs it. And Godzilla vs. Gigan is a sufficiently deconstructionist work - it is very much a story about storytelling - that it's entirely possible to embrace the use of stock footage as thematically consistent with the work as a whole.

If you're looking for pure immersion/suspension of disbelief, then, sure, the use of stock footage is liable to be disruptive. But part of the movie's trick is telling a story that children can enjoy and engage with without paying attention to those kinds of details, while offering a playful take on the genre that adults can participate in without having to believe in the narrative.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say that you should enjoy the movie, or that you should view it through the same lens I do. I'm just trying to explain why, to me, the stock footage is not a problem.