Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by Kaiser »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Kaiser wrote: weird psycedelic effects like the empty plane and falling down the hole that don't really fit with the rest of the movie
It's his imagination, how does it not fit?
Maybe they do from that perspective, but it's still jarring considering both cases come out of nowhere and don't really add anything to the film other than "well that was weird."

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The U.S. was the only other country to get this film shown theatrically. You're all so ungrateful.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^ But Thailand got 10 seconds!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Space Hunter M wrote:The U.S. was the only other country to get this film shown theatrically. You're all so ungrateful.
But we Canadians can still hate this movie, right? :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Sorry for the bump but I think while the movie is seperate from the rest of the series canonically it actually foreshadows Godzilla vs Hedorah. There's talks about environmental wastes and how it's becoming a big issue and towards the end someone, I forget who, says something about trash monsters or something as a joke. Not to mention the kid from this film is similar to the one in the next film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tek
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tek »

This may sound weird but... I swear... you guys should try it the next time you decide to rewatch this movie.

I found it's really quite atmospheric as a 5 AM watch. That'll take you from darkness to sunset. It's cool because the movie is like 70 minutes long and there are a lot of haunting rural Japan scenes like early in the morning. It fits in well with the time (5 AM) if you watch it then.

I dunno, but I feel such a backdrop helps with the overall viewing experience. Try it and post your impressions here. Especially the closing scenes with Ichiro outwitting the robbers... atmospheric stuff to watch it around 6 AM...

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

Tek wrote:This may sound weird but... I swear... you guys should try it the next time you decide to rewatch this movie.

I found it's really quite atmospheric as a 5 AM watch. That'll take you from darkness to sunset. It's cool because the movie is like 70 minutes long and there are a lot of haunting rural Japan scenes like early in the morning. It fits in well with the time (5 AM) if you watch it then.

I dunno, but I feel such a backdrop helps with the overall viewing experience. Try it and post your impressions here. Especially the closing scenes with Ichiro outwitting the robbers... atmospheric stuff to watch it around 6 AM...
I have actually done this before!!!! Once I couldn't sleep so I put the movie in at that time. This movie has grown on me through the years.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My first viewing of this movie was actually at around 5AM, as part of a marathon that also included vs. The Sea Monster and vs. Monster Zero. I don't remember much of what I thought about it, though. It was a long time ago, and I was pretty tired at the time. I do remember thinking it was nowhere near as bad as the hype, for what that's worth. That's an opinion I still maintain; I actually like this one quite a lot, stock footage overdose excluded.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I don't expect a response to a nearly year old post, but some of this stuff had to be addressed.
weird psycedelic effects like the empty plane and falling down the hole that don't really fit with the rest of the movie
I fail to see how they "don't fit". He's day dreaming..
the kid they've got playing Ichiro is annoying
In English, I suppose, but in Japanese? No.
Oh and the stock footage because they had no budget.
It's true the Champion series of films had smaller budgets, but their budgets didn't start getting stripped significantly until post-Hedorah. The use of stock footage was Ichiro remembering scenes from his favorite Godzilla films. Godzilla doesn't actually exist in this movie's world, but Godzilla movies do.

Obviously, It's fine if you don't like the film. It doesn't work for a lot of people, but it's important to remember that the Monster Island scenes are all in his head, hence the "psychedelic effects", and other things that seem to bother you and other people.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

People who bitch about this movie usually don't get it, goji.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Only Godzilla film originally confined to less than six reels.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Goji wrote:I don't expect a response to a nearly year old post, but some of this stuff had to be addressed.
weird psycedelic effects like the empty plane and falling down the hole that don't really fit with the rest of the movie
I fail to see how they "don't fit". He's day dreaming..
the kid they've got playing Ichiro is annoying
In English, I suppose, but in Japanese? No.
Oh and the stock footage because they had no budget.
It's true the Champion series of films had smaller budgets, but their budgets didn't start getting stripped significantly until post-Hedorah. The use of stock footage was Ichiro remembering scenes from his favorite Godzilla films. Godzilla doesn't actually exist in this movie's world, but Godzilla movies do.

Obviously, It's fine if you don't like the film. It doesn't work for a lot of people, but it's important to remember that the Monster Island scenes are all in his head, hence the "psychedelic effects", and other things that seem to bother you and other people.
It's about time someone really said all this.
I don't have a single problem with this film, yeah I wish Gabara didn't look so insane in the face (and little known fact, the Gabara suit came from a reject Godzilla suit) but it works as a nightmare monster, and his bully personality really made the monster work.
It's a movie aimed for kids, all in all, it's not a bad flick, IMO.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Stock footage and overall cheapness aside, this is not a bad movie at all...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tymon wrote:Stock footage and overall cheapness aside, this is not a bad movie at all...
And those things were a given from the very beginning of development; they're simply the circumstances of the production, and hardly represent any failure on the part of the filmmakers. To cite the use of stock footage as a flaw from a critical standpoint would be kind of like attacking a collage on the grounds that the images used to construct it weren't original.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

And at least with the cutaways to Minya and Ichiro and the fun music score, the stock footage doesn't really seem all that painful. You want painful? Go watch Gamera vs Viras...

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote:People who bitch about this movie usually don't get it, goji.
Hah, we might not get this movie, but you will never understand why Final Wars and Spacegodzilla are so great.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Is that your version of sarcasm, orrrr..?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Goji wrote:Is that your version of sarcasm, orrrr..?
Of course it is.

Look, Legion, we understand that you like the movie, and that's fine. But you seem to get a bit overly aggressive when defending this film, not to mention other Showa films. I'm all up for casual debates and discussions, but - and forgive me if this comes across like a personal attack - you seem to think that your opinions on these movies are indisputable facts, and that anyone who doesn't like those movies "don't get it", or are younger members who don't know what makes a good movie.

It just gets a tad irritating after a while.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

"Of course it is"-As if i'm just supposed to be able to decipher this over the internet? These are the TK forums. It wouldn't really surprise me if someone was being serious with such a statement around these parts.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Especially considering how vehemently some people will defend Final Wars. Heck, even Spacegodzilla has its advocates.

Ultimately, I can totally understand why a lot of people don't like All Monsters Attack; it's hardly a contender for my top 10 list, and I used to dismiss it more or less out of hand. But when people are making a case that it's objectively a badly made movie, they tend to fall back on the same few points over and over, all of which have been pretty thoroughly refuted time and again.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.