Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
tymon
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by tymon »

^That goes without being said. So much that it was almost painful to read.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

This film made me 4 year old me hate Minya so much that I'd cringe every time I'd hear his whining. I actually hated Son of Godzilla for years. Only as an adult was I able to appreciate what a great film it was.

Despite Minya's awful character design.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ichiro: Child or Madman

Post by eabaker »

Tyler wrote:I recently watched All Monsters Attack (1969) aka Godzilla's Revenge and I would like to talk about something.

I see AMA hated for one or more reasons:

1. It's a kid's movie with stock footage.

2. Even if you can look past that, the movie's message is muddled due to Ichiro's actions at the end.

Well, I think people put too much thought into that last part. Ichiro learns to stand up for himself and puts Gabara in his place. Then to really say "Don't mess with me now" he goes over to honk the painter's bike horn (shut up), which Ichiro had previously chickened out on when Gabara ordered him to do it.

Then we have the next part - the slapstick moment of the paint spilling on the paintman. First, it's a kid movie. Wouldn't that get a great reaction from the target audience? Second, I'm sure Ichiro didn't intend that to happen. He does apologize to his dad after all. You could say he's a coward for running away, but who knows what that painter was going to do.

Finally, we have Gabara and his gang running along with Ichiro. You could say Ichiro's the next Gabara, but I don't think that's true. The movie's shown he has a good heart and maybe that'll rub off on his former tormentors.

Perhaps I'm thinking about it too much as well but just wanted to put that out there.
I agree completely. While the message is perhaps not presented in a perfectly clean, cut-and-dried manner, is there any reason it should be? Real life is a little rough around the edges.

The movie gets its point across, and does so in a charmingly weird way.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Whenever I see AMA I think of Reddit.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Both. He's, obviously, a child, but also learns that violence and mischief earn you respect.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I love the title of this thread.

Anyways, Ichiro's just a kid. A well-meaning, but mischievous one. He didn't mean to make the painter fall, he was just showing that he wasn't afraid to do it like how Gabra was.

wizard of the north
Yojimbo

Post by wizard of the north »

... i see this movie as honda's meditation on the actual godzilla audience, ichiro being a proxy for the children who were watching godzilla films ...

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I have a question, was the Gabara suit turned into the Titanosaurus suit?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Then I guess it's just me, because I always thought to two suits looked pretty similar...

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Now that you mention it, they DO look similar.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Maybe Titano is a recycled Gabara suit

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Maybe Titano is a recycled Gabara suit
Doubt it, considering Gabara only showed up in AMA and an episode of Greenman. He wasn't considered for any other roles as far as I know.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Maybe Titano is a recycled Gabara suit
No, it's not. Gabara later appeared in several Toho shows (God Man and Greenman) that were a little earlier than Terror of Mechagodzilla...

However, when The Return of Godzilla was about to be released, someone went into the Toho vaults to look at all the surviving props in 1984. They turned up the 1967 Godzilla suit, the Baragon suit... and the Gabara suit. So no, it wasn't sliced up or anything to create the Titanosaurus suit.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

devingodzilla
Yojimbo

Post by devingodzilla »

I dont know why ANYONE would like this terrible "movie" 90% of the monster fights are stock footage. Minya talks, ichiro or what ever his name is is a hypocrite.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

>Rags on Godzilla's Revenge for the stock footage
>Forgets that Godzilla vs. Gigan has the most stock footage in ANY Toho film

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

devingodzilla wrote:I dont know why ANYONE would like this terrible "movie" 90% of the monster fights are stock footage. Minya talks, ichiro or what ever his name is is a hypocrite.
I don't consider AMA a bad movie really. Sure it has stock footage but I don't mind it because the reused footage is pretty decent and plus all the monster scenes are in Ichiro's dream world. To me, AMA is a pretty enjoyable children's movie. Not EVERY movie has to be "OMG DARKNGRITTY!!!!!!!!!!! OZMG!!!!!!!!!!!"
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

This is the Godzilla film I've probably seen the most growing up. It was the easiest to watch and well, lots of action. Today, I quite dislike it. It has some nostalgic value, but I consider it to be the worst Godzilla movie. All of its 'action,' besides the Gabara scenes is lifted from previous films. And the film's moral is thrown out the window in the end. Sure, as a kid, I loved it. But...now after watching it from beginning to end, it just doesn't feel like anything was truly done.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

So what's with the crawling glove screeching about supporting your local police? Reminds me of that scene in Frankenstein vs. Baragon...

Handsome Jack
G-Force Personnel

Post by Handsome Jack »

I consider the film great because it was my first Godzilla film. I like it mainly because I guess I just like Gabara.
What’s that saying? Don’t pick a fight with a man with nothing left to lose? I’m going to show you just how much you have left to lose.

Where the hell is -- I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin!

You are a bandit AND I AM THE GODDAMN HERO!

Just Plain Dan
G-Force Personnel

Post by Just Plain Dan »

NSZ wrote: And before anyone says nobody daydreams that much: I daydreamed that much when I was his age. Just look at my report cards and you'll see it.
You too huh?

As for me, it's just OK in my eyes. I did think Gabara was a good monster, but not a great one. I felt the filmmakers went overboard with the reusing of scenes however....