Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by Goji »

You guys can't possibly be serious. Gabara looks nothing like Titanosaurus.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I don't see the resemblence at all either.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The feet are very similar

The chest looks kind of similar

The bumby skin texture looks the same

They both have long necks

The hands/fingers are almost exactly the same
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

I believe that now, but that was for those who say the look nothing alike

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

They look alike only because they are both dinosaurs/dragons. That's all I see.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Goji wrote:You guys can't possibly be serious. Gabara looks nothing like Titanosaurus.
The chest design and skin texture are somewhat alike, and you can make an argument that the cries also are that way. The similarities stop there.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

DaveTheAnalyzer
Samurai

Post by DaveTheAnalyzer »

I saw the dub and will watch the sub this afternoon. One thing I find interesting is that it shows the working class side of Japan, with Ichiro's parents having to work all kinds of hours and the small apartment they have. Usually we have leads that are comfortable, if not wealthy enough to be involved in the monster action and seeing those with less get involved is nice, though I would think there would be more interesting approaches than daydreaming oneself into the monster fun.

I also daydream a lot, though I'm not usually involved. I'm mostly content in being the observer and manipulating images in a manner that delights me.

I do wonder if the robbers became the way they were due to not having enough money.

The relationship between the neighbor and Ichiro is heartwarming.

Gabara the monster is pretty cool-looking and I wouldn't mind seeing him again. I picture him as the same bully but suddenly a lot of power and he becomes a brutal abuser of the weak. BTW, is Gabara even an actual Japanese name?

I think some complaints would be sated if there wasn't so much stock footage.

Don't know if this is confirmed, but I read Honda made Ichiro turn into a dick after standing up to human Gabara to babble about how the youth of that generation were becoming hooligans and if they could trust them to carry on the country.

I'm aware there's some consensus that this film takes place outside the Showa timeline, but I'm fond of a fic idea I had where Ichiro is rewarded for catching the robbers by visiting Monster Island and accidentally brings monster Gabara to life with some reverse-engineered alien tech. I'll need to work on that.

So yeah, not a good film, but it is...interesting.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

The similarities don't stop there, look at the hands and feet, they're the same

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

King Caesar wrote:
Goji wrote:You guys can't possibly be serious. Gabara looks nothing like Titanosaurus.
The chest design and skin texture are somewhat alike, and you can make an argument that the cries also are that way. The similarities stop there.
Yes, they do.
Lain Of The Wired wrote:The similarities don't stop there, look at the hands and feet, they're the same
No, they are not.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Titanomajin
Samurai

Post by Titanomajin »

I love this movie, but i can see why other people would dislike it.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

So how good is the CLASSIC MEDIA All Monsters Attack DvD? I just ordered it from Amazon, is the commentary on it worth listening to? And what are the other Special features like?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Titanomajin wrote:I love this movie, but i can see why other people would dislike it.
I like it too, but I think it's pretty easy to see why it wouldn't be some people's cup of tea.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just got done watching it again, this time with my six-year-old brother and his nine-year-old friend. This was the first Godzilla movie either of them watched more than a few minutes of, and they both liked it well enough, I think. They commented, laughed, and asked questions, so they seemed to have some investment in it. The monster stuff more so than Ichiro's story; my brother was getting a little bored by the end of the robber evasion sequence. But he sat through it, so that's something. His favorite part was Minya's atomic breath lesson, but he was weirded out by Minya's ability to talk, at first. Said he was glad that was only a one-time thing, because it was annoying. :lol: And the friend had to go home about ten minutes before the end, so I didn't get her parting thoughts. But again, she seemed to like what she saw. I'll have to show them another G-movie sometime. I'm planning to get the Megalon DVD sometime soonish; I'm betting they'll like that one.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Ah, Godzilla's Revenge. You weird, psychedelic, well-intentioned, confusing, inept mess of a children's film.

And that's not really a review, it's more like a MST3K-ing. Then again, the problems do sort of speak for themselves. Would love to see someone at Channel Awesome do a Hedorah review.

Gingy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Gingy »

Is it bad that this was my first Godzilla film I watched?
There is a rule in this world, that anything that exists can be made into sexy female.
Castellan Zilla x KaijuFiend is best and only OTP!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

There's a new German dub of this yo.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

What the f@ck is so "inept" about this movie?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Still a better movie than the 90's films (vsKG excluded).

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

A film I will enjoy with myself, but never with anyone else. I think if my friends knew I watch "this kinda stuff" i'll never be accepted in this world. Yet it's such a great movie (more like a recap but with a plot) that I can't just throw it away
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Legion1979 wrote:What the f@ck is so "inept" about this movie?
The start-stop editing during Ichiro's "action scenes" literally gives me a heacache, I don't care for Miyauchi's score, Gabara looks like shit, weird psycedelic effects like the empty plane and falling down the hole that don't really fit with the rest of the movie, the movie delivers its message in an uneven manner that isn't really that great of a message (standing up for yourself requires inflicting physical violence), the kid they've got playing Ichiro is annoying and the thing with the bank robbers prevents the final encounter with the bullies from having any dramaticc meaning.

Oh and the stock footage because they had no budget.