Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by Arrow »

http://www.geekytechguy.net/images/blog ... e_1969.jpg

As a kid, Godzilla's Revenge was the second movie to feature Godzilla (I can't bring myself to call it a "Godzilla movie") that I'd seen - coming right after Mothra vs. Godzilla. I hated it at the time, thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. It was nothing like the movie that I had seen before it. While it wasn't enough to turn me away from the franchise I didn't think I'd ever willingly watch it again. And it wasn't until a few years back that I managed to snag the Japanese version. At first, I didn't want anything to do with it, but I sat down and decided to give it a chance. And, to my surprise, I found it a lot better than I remembered it.

The story is endearing and one I think many could relate to. No, it isn't Godzilla's best hour, but I can appreciate it for what it is. It's not really much of a Godzilla movie as it is a movie that features him and Minilla as "guest stars". The stock footage can be irritating I suppose, but it honestly doesn't bother me. I think Godzilla's Revenge gets a lot more hate than it deserves, really. It's not perfect, but it's a fun movie. Gabara is a unique monster and I like that he's different from all of Godzilla's other opponents - like King Ghidorah or Mechagodzilla. He's not here to destroy the world or anything like that. He's an overgrown bully. I remember when I re-watched the movie, I found myself cheering when Minilla and Godzilla kicked his ass and sent him running. Ichrio goes through a good deal of development, something that most other Godzilla movies can't attest to. I would even go as far to say that it's one of the better Godzilla movies made around that time.

I like Godzilla's Revenge. I think that it's a great kid's movie. And I think it's a truly underrated film.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by Arrow »

Legion1979 wrote:Until Toho officially retitles the film prints I will never call this movie "All Monsters Attack".
I was always under the impression that was the Japanese name.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

It's an ok film. It was a great idea to write the film so it can be both a film in cannon or not cannon. The rest is ok, just ok. I don't watch it that often but it is a good time when I do decide to watch it. It could have been better, but eh, I enjoy it and that's what counts...

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

See, I don't look at this movie as a Godzilla movie at all. It's not about him fighting [Insert Name of Monster Here]. It's about Ichiro and his problems. I remember as a kid, I would fantasize about whatever cartoon character I happened to like at the time (usually, Bugs Bunny) had to say about a problem of mine. And that's how I see Ichiro here. That makes the movie pretty special and the main character pretty relatable. And he goes through some real development here. That's something a lot of other Godzilla movies can't claim to have.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

It's not among Honda's best, but I like it. It's like The NeverEnding Story with Kaiju!
Legion1979 wrote:
Arrow wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:Until Toho officially retitles the film prints I will never call this movie "All Monsters Attack".
I was always under the impression that was the Japanese name.
More or less, but "officially" retitling a movie when no English language print of the film even exists that bares the title is ridiculous. That's like Toho insisting published materials refer to the 7th Godzilla movie as "Ebirah Horror of the Deep" while at the same time allowing Sony to release the movie as "Godzilla vs the Sea Monster". But at least that's the film's international title.
But it's not a revenge themed film, much less Godzilla's. If the title "All Monsters Attack!" is more in line with the Japanese title and makes better sense I see no reason to go against it. Besides, both versions of the film are minimally different. Why saying something like "Monster March, the song used in Godzilla's Revenge" when such song isn't on said film?

If not mistaken there are prints called "Minya: Son of Godzilla" too.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

For what Honda had, he made the best of it. Sure there were some stock footage fights, but we got a whole new monster as well. I'm not gonna echo what Arrow already said, but thats how I feel about it as well. It's not the best, but not the worst either.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

It's a nice kiddie movie, and not much else.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

I love this film. The best character driven one of the entire series.
I love the fights with Gabara (both the Kaiju and the bully).
I think it is a very fine movie.
I know a lot of people don't consider it part of the fragmented/abstract TOHOverse continuity... but I do.

G7

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

I just recently rewatched this film and...it didn't age well. The English version is, oddly, superior. First off, the English version has a MUCH catchier and MUCH less annoying theme song. Second, Minya's voice isn't as sloppy sounding. Aside from that, the two are mostly the same. That said, this film just reeks of laziness. Honda so clearly didn't care even though he wanted to make a film dedicated to Tsuburaya. There could've been so much more Honda could've done with this budget. The use of stock footage is obvious, and the storyline with the child is relatively boring and sells a rather odd message as its moral.

Not a memorable film, and just simply one I don't see myself watching again anytime soon. At this point, it became all too clear Honda didn't care anymore.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The film itself is okay, but I find it's reputation within the fandom stupid. Since I've joined it's gone under a renaissance of appreciation and suddenly is fairly well-loved - which is nice, but when films in the Heisei and Millennium series with a lot more work and effort put in get ragged on as being the worst films in Godzilla's history, I find it extremely stupid this movie's being given a jail-free pass by the fandom for it's message.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

So what was the great human moral of Gojira?
Sneak around with another man? Instead of being honest to your fiance?

How about GRA?
Pine after your best friend's woman?

KKvG
Even the biggest mistake is okay... if your making money!

MvG
See the above

GtTHM
Listen to psychics?
Steal a princess for a good story?
Don't take expensive bracelets from women floating down from exploding planes?

GvMZ
Alien Clones are fun - have one for a girlfriend?

GvSM/GvE
Stealing expensive boats is okay?
Former thieves make good heroes?
You too can rescue captives from Terrorists?

SoG
Messing with nature is okay?

GvSM/GvH
Polluting is bad? So let's destroy a creature made of it and splash it across the countryside?
Beware of creepy homeless people in the hills? or the Hills have eyes?

GvG
If your persistent and have four friends... you too can save the world from an alien invasion?

GvMeg
Female characters are not necessary?
It means absolutely nothing that 2 1/2 Men built a manbot?

GvMG
Don't let Monkeys have Robots?

ToMG
Cyborg chicks are hot, but don't make dependable girlfriends?

LOL

I see nothing wrong with Ichiro standing up for himself... or pulling a prank on some poor guy. I highly doubt Ichiro meant for the guy to fall and get painted... and if you watch it again. He does take responsibility for having done it (even telling his father on himself).
What kind of message should it have sent?
Should he have told someone? Because we all know that is what they did back then.
Do you think they wouldn't get even? (5/1 is not fair odds - even if his little girlfriend Saichiko came str8 out of Kung Fu theater!)
Ichiro kicked his bully's butt. He deserved it. I highly doubt being reasonable with Gabara would have been anymore productive then doing nothing. Some people need a harsher lesson.
Ichiro caved to a little peer pressure and pranked a guy... it got a little out of hand. But I doubt any true harm was meant. He just wanted to show he was now brave enough to honk a horn... not start a domino effect.

So you guys don't believe in standing up for yourselves or others?
It's okay for big kids to pick on smaller ones in packs?

I don't think this movie sends the wrong message at all.

You don't see any other single character develop like Ichrio did in ALL of the Godzilla/Kaiju films ever made.

This is what I think Ichiro response would be and think of all the crap he has had to endure over the years from Kaiju Fans.
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t225 ... finger.jpg

LMAO

Have a nice day people!
G7

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I think it works best as something that's Meta-fictional. Why all the stock-footage? 'cause Ichrio saw those same movies as us! It's really not much different from the glorious Godzilla cameo in Always 2.

Both movies are about life in japan, featuring an imaginative character day-dreaming about Godzilla. The child, obviously, has the more elaborate of the two, and both were released after the announced "retirement".
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Godzilla's Revenge gets too much hate. It's not the greatest Godzilla movie, but it's certainly not the worst. The stock footage doesn't bug me much because it's all in Ichiro's dreams. Gabara definitely sitcks out of the Toho monster crowd although I'm not a huge fan of him. The message is a good one for kids, but it kinda loses its meaning when Ichiro becomes a worse bully than Gabara (The kid bully). All in all, a decent flick that is worht watching every now and then.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

*sigh*

I know that this film is suddenly get a lot more praise. And I'm okay with that. I'll agree that it certainly isn't the worst Godzilla film. But, I will say that its the worst Honda Godzilla film. This film didn't interest me when I was a kid, and it doesn't interest me now. If its a Godzilla film, then when you're eight years old, you're not watching it for some little kid. You're watching it to see Godzilla. And when almost everything we see of him is stock footage, it doesn't leave a good impression on you.

Yes, I know that this film was aimed at children, but that's not an excuse for Honda and crew not to try. If you're good at something, then you can make something aimed towards children and let it leave an impression on adults as well. And iMO, they did not succeed at that with Godzilla's Revenge, as I have watched the film now as both a child and an adult, and it failed to leave an impression on me both times.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

There's such a thing called decent kid's fare...and also sucky kid's fare. Just becuase a movie's for kids doesn't mean it gets the all clear.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Mac
Samurai

Post by Mac »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:There's such a thing called decent kid's fare...and also sucky kid's fare. Just becuase a movie's for kids doesn't mean it gets the all clear.
You make a good point, obviously there is a difference between the low-rate Godzilla vs Gigan, and the ambitious, yet flawed All Monsters Attack.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:There's such a thing called decent kid's fare...and also sucky kid's fare. Just becuase a movie's for kids doesn't mean it gets the all clear.
But, really, what does Godzilla's Revenge do so wrong that it gets all the hate against it? "Sucky kid's fare" refers more to a film like Godzilla vs. Gigan than G'sR - which manages to be somewhat intelligent despite its limitations and shortcomings. You should really elaborate on these things more, rather than just coming in with the intent to argue with Legion about something that never concerned you in the first place. If that wasn't your intent, then I apologize, but I read things like this and really - can you blame me for assuming this of you?
JVM wrote:but when films in the Heisei and Millennium series with a lot more work and effort put in get ragged on as being the worst films in Godzilla's history
That's the thing - whether or not Godzilla's Revenge qualifies as a true "Godzilla" film in the way that the Heisei and Millennium movies do is debatable. I don't see a lot of effort put into most of those films, sadly. I'll elaborate when I get there, but long story short: I find Godzilla's Revenge more enjoyable than most entries from either series. I also steer clear of trying to compare it to other, more traditional, Godzilla movies when it strives to be something completely different.

I think Honda did the best he could with what he had. It's not perfect, it's got a lot of flaws, but I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume that no one tried here.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Why I said Honda didn't try with this film is because I felt he was lost without Tsuburaya. This film was made while Tsuburaya was dying, and Honda simply couldn't figure out how to make a solid Godzilla film without him. Not to mention I really do think Honda wanted the franchise to end after DAM, and only did this film as a favor to both Tanaka and Tsuburaya. Honda could make entertaining kaiju flicks aimed at children easily while Tsuburaya was still around (i.e. King Kong Escapes) but with this film, he's just not trying. The embarrassingly incompetent robbers (which is undeniable proof of this film's intelligence right there, Arrow), the poorly delivered message and the lazy use of stock footage all lead me to believe this is a film Honda didn't want to do. If this film was directed by anyone aside from Honda (like Fukuda, for instance), it'd get a lot more shit thrown at it without a doubt.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:Why I said Honda didn't try with this film is because I felt he was lost without Tsuburaya. This film was made while Tsuburaya was dying, and Honda simply couldn't figure out how to make a solid Godzilla film without him.
See, my personal theory on this is that it's NOT supposed to be a Godzilla film as much a film to feature Godzilla, if you will. I'm not going to stand here and hold G's Revenge on a pedestal and try to claim that it's a great movie. It isn't. But I began to see it's good points as soon as I learned to stop comparing it to other films in the franchise. Like Hedorah, it's experimental and uses Godzilla as a means other than to be "the hero" who shows up to defeat the bad guys. None of the acting is terrible, though many of it doesn't quite live up to the standards set before it. While Tsuburaya's death did impact the film in several obvious ways, I don't feel like it hurt enough to push it to the low position it has today.
The embarrassingly incompetent robbers (which is undeniable proof of this film's intelligence right there, Arrow)
I didn't make myself clear - never before did I intend to say that Godzilla's Revenge was a multilayered piece of fiction that should be studied. It's an entertaining children's film that manages to be unique (which is more than can be said for the cookie-cuttered Godzilla vs. Gigan), boast actual character development, and showcase's Godzilla's position in Japan at the time (I should really stop doing that). The robbers were obviously meant to be incompetent - much like the bad guys from the Home Alone movies. That doesn't drag the film down.`It's funny. I found them pretty funny, myself.
the poorly delivered message and the lazy use of stock footage all lead me to believe this is a film Honda didn't want to do. If this film was directed by anyone aside from Honda (like Fukuda, for instance), it'd get a lot more shit thrown at it without a doubt.
I don't see how the message was poorly delivered. I learned the same thing when I was young (stand up for yourself). The stock footage can be annoying - but I find it makes sense looking at it, as TokyoVigilante said, as "metafiction". Ichiro is a daydreamer. He's a Godzilla fan. I do the same thing whenever I think about writing monster battles, imagine Godzilla's previous struggles. I did the same thing as a child, if you understand me.

No one says you have to like Godzilla's Revenge. No one says it doesn't have flaws. But even in Godzilla's darkest hour, I think G's Revenge shows a bit of quality. Much more so than certain other movies to come out afterwards (Gigan, Space Godzilla...)

Mac
Samurai

Post by Mac »

DaikaijuSokogeki, I really don't think you know what your talking about. Honda didn't want to make most of his kaiju films. Honda would have much rather been making films about Japanese culture (Which he got to do later in his life, thanks to Kurosawa), but Toho Studios wouldn't have any of that. Despite this, Honda always gave his all, this is no exception. These films had very tight shooting schedules. Because of this, when it came to the special effects sequences, Eiji Tsuburaya was as much as a director as Honda was. So of course Honda would be lost without him! Tsuburaya's sickness was a huge blow to the film. It would be like someone else trying to cover for Harryhausen half-way through one of the Sinbad flicks. It would be a disaster. A replacement, such as Arikawa most likely wasn't available, so it was up to Honda to fill the daunting role of special effects supervisor. Hence the use of stock footage (Poorly used? Have you seen Godzilla vs Gigan?).

Your complaints about the robbers are weird as well. Would you rather that they efficiently murder Ichiro? Come on, this is a children's film. Were you expecting Joe Pesci to stab Caulkin with a pen in Home Alone?