Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

Post by miguelnuva »

While I still love this moive, I remember it being 10x better as a kid for some reason.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

It made me laugh when a Bill Nye episode I saw today had footage from Destroy All Monsters in it. Always nice to be able to watch some Godzilla while learning about stuff!
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ I think I remember that episode. Was it on electricity?

DAM is a good movie, but not a great one; it's not up to par with its predecessors. The plot and characters are basic enough that the film feels slower than it really is, but the effects crew and composer Ifukube deliver solid efforts to balance it out. I'd consider the film to be middle-of-the-road for the Showa era.
Interestingly, upon my last viewing, it occurred to me that maybe the story would have worked better as a television serial rather than a single film (amusing, since I'm not sure how many serials I've even seen). It could have offered more time to develop aspects of the plot and the characters, without sacrificing the scope of the story. Does anyone else think that idea has merit?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Rody wrote:^ I think I remember that episode. Was it on electricity?

DAM is a good movie, but not a great one; it's not up to par with its predecessors. The plot and characters are basic enough that the film feels slower than it really is, but the effects crew and composer Ifukube deliver solid efforts to balance it out. I'd consider the film to be middle-of-the-road for the Showa era.
Interestingly, upon my last viewing, it occurred to me that maybe the story would have worked better as a television serial rather than a single film (amusing, since I'm not sure how many serials I've even seen). It could have offered more time to develop aspects of the plot and the characters, without sacrificing the scope of the story. Does anyone else think that idea has merit?
It could work but budget would be a major problem for all the special effects scenes that would be needed

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:It made me laugh when a Bill Nye episode I saw today had footage from Destroy All Monsters in it. Always nice to be able to watch some Godzilla while learning about stuff!
I also saw it on Tuesday.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So I have the original Media Blasters Blu Ray with the commentary by Ed Godziszewski. If anyone is interested I can relisten to it and post some of the little known and interesting facts he brings up about the film.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Sure, that'd be great! I'd love to know some more stuff on this film.
HayesAJones wrote:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I used to own it, I know it claims the reason Manda's horns were removed was because it'd be easier to have it wrap around a bridge
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Here are some interesting tidbits from the films commentary
-It was released on a double bill with Atragon and it's Japanese title is actually "March of the Monsters" and when it was rereleased at the champion festival in the 70s it was titled "Godzilla! Electric Battle Masterpiece"
-Kaiju films peeked in Japan in 1967 with the 5 major studios of Japan at the time releasing kaiju movies
-Honda originally wanted to show all the monsters in the film in the opening sequence and explain that under sea farming was used to keep the monster fed
-The idea that Gorosaurus was used because the Baragon suit was in too poor shape has never been confirmed by anyone who worked on the scene. The storyboards, set designs, and notes from the film all list Gorosaurus as appearing in the scene so it was a script error
-Nakajima regrets not destroying the construction crane that Godzilla steps over when he appears
-Springs were used on the missile launchers to give the model missiles an extra push during the the Tokyo attack sequence
-The Tokyo attack is one of Nakajimas favorite scenes but said with all the smoke from the military attack made it difficult to see
-The a few people around the table during the Tokyo Attack are actually suit actors that appeared in the film
-The reason Godzillas beam curves in some scenes is due to the mouth of the suit not lining up on screen to allow for a straight beam to be drawn in
-The Moonlight SY-3 got it looks from crossing a fighter jet and rocket
-The SY-3 prop was mostly made of wood and 3 props of different sizes were made and used in the film
-Nasa designs were used for creating the SY-3 and considered by the designer as his most realistic creation
-Part of the reason for kaiju films falling out of style was due to the growth of television, changing tastes by the Japanese public, and the growing interest in foreign films as well as the decline of the Japanese film industry at the end of the 60s
-Special Effects film were some of the first to feel the effects of this
-The small puppets in the film (except for Godzilla, Varan, and Rodan) were made for the film
-When Ghidorah lands a suit actor is inside
-The only new suits created for the film were Godzilla and Anguirus
-Gorosaurus, Minya, and Kumonga were used due to the suits and puppet being still relatively new and in good condition
-The Ghidorah, Rodan, Manda, and Mothra suits and prop that appear were refurbished
-The only reason the adult Mothra doesn't appear due to the prop being in too poor condition at the time
-The Manda prop was given a new paint job along with a new head which is speculated to be due to the horns and whiskers possibly getting in the way of its big bridge destruction scene
-The Baragon suit was given a new head for its cameo but the rest of the suit was too damaged for any use in the film
-The Varan puppet that appears is in fact from the original film just given a new paint job
-Godzillas head was designed to be more expressive and the fins were given a sliver paint job for the first time
-The suit was also made to be more flexible then previously suits
-Most of the suit actors were Toho stunt men but some outside help was brought in
-Nakajima claims he made up the entire final battle but it's likely that this is just an exaggeration
-Nakajima stated the hardest aspect of the finally battle was working on a set with so many wires being used at the same time

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Godzillian wrote: -Nakajima regrets not destroying the construction crane that Godzilla steps over when he appears
Haha, that's one of the little things I've always noticed in DAM. He knocks the crane over, then gently steps over it. I can see why he would have wanted to demolish it a bit more.
HayesAJones wrote:

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Nakajima's thoughts are always interesting.

Also it's nice to have an explanation for what happened to Manda's head.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Delete this. My edit to a previous comment somehow made it as a new post.
HayesAJones wrote:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So I noticed that after all the monsters kill Ghidorah, Mothra and Kumonga spit victory "confetti" silk over the monsters
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

I've always loved how Minya runs to Godzilla, like he's remembering what happened to him last time someone sprayed webbing at him I.e nearly getting killed by a spider.
HayesAJones wrote:

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I still love this one after a recent rewatch, but it's definitely on the slower-paced side, and I still find the Killiaks one of the less interesting of the many Showa alien races. I also kind of wish the monsters had been given more narrative weight, as this time it really hit me how much they spend the entire film mostly as tools of man and alien.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

JVM wrote:I still find the Killiaks one of the less interesting of the many Showa alien races.
Agreed. I think they're the least interesting alien race in the entire series, even though I consider this the second best alien invasion Godzilla film (behind Monster Zero). I think Destroy All Monsters is a very solid film, but lots of little things keep it from being as good, say, as the Mothra/Ghidorah trilogy in the mid 60's. It's a very plot driven film, so you don't really get any of the character quirks that make films like Mothra and Monster Zero so memorable. Monster Island and the Moon Base are really well executed though, and it has some great monster action. The Mt. Fuji showdown is really cool too just for the shear scope of it - even though you never believe there's a chance in hell Ghidorah's going to come out on top.

It was a good and appropriate film for the original Godzilla team to go out on.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

JVM wrote:I still find the Killiaks one of the less interesting of the many Showa alien races.
Agreed. They are kind of bland, probably the blandest Showa aliens. However, I do really like their weakness. Turning into living metal when the temperature is a weakness that makes more sense to me that a extremely loud sound that annoys them until they commit suicide. Feels like it makes a bit more sense from a logic perspective, at least to me.
HayesAJones wrote:

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I like the Kilaaks' design and demeanor more than anything else, I think. Like everyone else in the movie, they're not really characters.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

godzillalives88 wrote:
Agreed. I think they're the least interesting alien race in the entire series, even though I consider this the second best alien invasion Godzilla film (behind Monster Zero). I think Destroy All Monsters is a very solid film, but lots of little things keep it from being as good, say, as the Mothra/Ghidorah trilogy in the mid 60's. It's a very plot driven film, so you don't really get any of the character quirks that make films like Mothra and Monster Zero so memorable. Monster Island and the Moon Base are really well executed though, and it has some great monster action. The Mt. Fuji showdown is really cool too just for the shear scope of it - even though you never believe there's a chance in hell Ghidorah's going to come out on top.

It was a good and appropriate film for the original Godzilla team to go out on.
Absolutely. I rewatched Ghidorah the other night and thought a lot about the parallels between both films, which follow a similar structure in terms of the monster side of things but hugely different human plots. Ghidorah features a human story that is affixed to a small group of key characters, and while it provides some more interesting characters (though not the most iconic in the series, obviously) it's very personal to those characters and it results in there not being as strong of a thematic sense of scope, compared to the monster sequences, which carry a much better sense of urgency. DAM's characters have less time to breathe and are much less personal, but the sense of scope mostly balances that out, and I really do enjoy the internationalist themes of that one. I do think the monsters feel more like characters in GTTM, whereas DAM seems to underplay them in most instances, and the use of mind control throughout the film is unhelpful, but I don't think any kaiju film will ever fully overtake that Mt. Fuji battle sequence in scope. The sheer ambition of that sequence is commendable.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:Like everyone else in the movie, they're not really characters.
Captain Yamabe is a character! His most notable characteristics include being a jerk and having a stick up his ass.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.