Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

Post by Legion1979 »

That's just the working title for the Japanese version.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Legion1979 wrote:That's just the working title for the Japanese version.
oh, that's it then! Well, that ends that, I guess!
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I just want to say that I'm really mixed up about this movie. On one hand, I think it was awesome to have all these monsters in one movie, but there are moments where I felt this movie draaaaag on! Also, I don't know if I like the idea of them killing of Ghidorah, and I felt like he showed up to pump his chest before getting killed. First time I ever saw a kaiju really get beaten to death though, hit me hard (I was 8).

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

As much as I enjoy this movie, I think it could be much, much better than it actually is.

The plot about Kilaaks taking control over all Earth kaiju and unleashing a worldwide destruction is something all monster movies fans wanted to see, but the potential is not fulfilled. We never get to see enough of that destruction, control over the monsters is overrun pretty much easily, Ghidorah's last stand against Earth monsters feels rushed and anticlimactic (much more after Fire Dragon makes an appearance), and the movie as a whole kinda lacks gravity and epicness.

Still a good watching, just not as good as I want it to be.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: I can't stand Destroy All Monsters

Post by Rodan »

Tek wrote:Does anyone here actually like DAM? Or are people more in my boat? It actually might be my least favorite G-film.
It's easily in my bottom five, and among the few Godzilla films I can't really say I like, finding it on the whole more frustrating than enjoyable.

It's criminally, astoundingly boring, the one thing a giant monster movie should never be. Also, I don't think it's a stretch to say it has the least interesting human cast of the Showa era. I can't get through it in one viewing.

Those Kilaaks, though -- they're good villains.

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

It's interesting how much perceptions can shift about a movie over time. A few years ago, Destroy All Monsters was considered a top ten entry by many people. Now, it usually seems to find itself in the bottom ten more often than not. I think the shift started back around the time James Rolfe reviewed the movie for Monster Madness and noted that it was actually a bit disappointing. I used to try and think of what I was missing when I saw it as a kid and now I definitely think its one of the weaker Showa films and apart from AMA, it's definitely the weakest Honda Godzilla film.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

this is one of the movies i watched alot as a child, but never went back to watch after i hit a certain age (don't remember exactly what age, but the film was destroyed at my house in a film-smashing frenzy, which is quite literally exactly what it sounds like). i never bothered to so much as look for it online, at the market...nothing. i used to love the monster scenes, though.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I found this neat TV trailer for the AIP version
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HayesAJones wrote:

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Pretty much a demo reel for Toho's effects. The characters are rather one-dimensional in this plot-heavy script, but I guess they serve the purpose of getting us to the next explosion. Nowhere near as good as Monster Zero, and arguably a bad influence on the 90s films, DAM is still worth checking out for the brutal final fight with Ghidorah.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

This film actually has improved over the years for me. This was one of my holy grail films as a kid in the 90s and when I finally was able to watch it I was let down. There wasn't nearly as much kaiju action as I was lead to believe and the story was boring but over the past 15 years or so I've really begun to appreciate this. Yes it probably has the most stock characters of the Golden Era and the villains don't come off as that threatening but Hell I still enjoy it and its one of the most technologically impressive films of that era.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

This film is a little sad to me because it's the real end of an era. This was the last Golden Age Godzilla film

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

This film is definetly one of my favorite Godzilla movies. There's something about this one that feels special to me. The AIP dub for this one is much better than the International dub, and I might prefer the film because of the better dubbing, but whatever the reason, this is always a fun film to throw on when I feel like sitting down and having fun!

Also, I found this cool alternate poster. I love how much of the outer space area is shown off. The stars look quite nice.
HayesAJones wrote:

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Not as bad as some of the bad Showa films, not as good as some of the good Showa films.

The averagest average kaiju movie. Just there in the middle. It's hard not to respect the scale of the movie's plot, but it's hard to praise any one feature especially strongly.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

"You must Take Your Spaceship into the mountain"
Godzilla

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Urgh, I just decided to watch the film again. Don't get me wrong. I love the film. One of my favorites. I forgot I have a shit DVD of it. A direct copy of the ADV VHS, no DVD chapters, no bonus features at all..
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Urgh, I just decided to watch the film again. Don't get me wrong. I love the film. One of my favorites. I forgot I have a shit DVD of it. A direct copy of the ADV VHS, no DVD chapters, no bonus features at all..
It really is atrocious. At least Tokyo Shock reissued their DVD and boy is it a beauty.

Master-Spiff
Samurai

Post by Master-Spiff »

This movie's grown on me over the years; I used to think it was kind of boring, but now I find it fun to watch. Regardless though, I find it kind of weird that there's so little monster scenes in what was supposed to be a big ol' Monster Mash to cap off the series.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Godzillian wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Urgh, I just decided to watch the film again. Don't get me wrong. I love the film. One of my favorites. I forgot I have a shit DVD of it. A direct copy of the ADV VHS, no DVD chapters, no bonus features at all..
It really is atrocious. At least Tokyo Shock reissued their DVD and boy is it a beauty.
Yeah, the only thing the ADV DVD has going for it is it uses the VHS box art.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Still better than 2014's DVD release.
Godzilla

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Found this neat publicity thing. I don't remember any mention of Manda attaking Seattle!
HayesAJones wrote: