Ishiro Honda, 1911 - 1993

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What are your favorite Honda films?

Godzilla (1954)
28%
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
5%
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
16%
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
10%
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
10%
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
7%
All Monsters Attack (1969)
1%
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
14%
Other (specify)
7%

Total votes: 135

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Re: Ishiro Honda

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Gojira, the one that started it all. :cool:
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

GOJIRA (54'). No real contest there, but I personally think all of his Godzilla films are fantastic with the exception of ALL MONSTERS ATTACK/G's REVENGE. Even then, I'd rather watch AMA over most of Toho 90's output.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Godzilla vs. The Thing on account of it being the pinnicle of everything his previous Tokusatsu films had built towards, and it introduces his favorite theme of "the brotherhood of man" to the Godzilla series.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

But of course, the original Godzilla, closely followed by the tour de fource that is Ghidrah. As far as favorites go, I'd say Revenge takes third place for me if we're talking strictly Godzilla films. XD

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

The first movie,no doubt.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Outside of Gojira, I find several of his non-Godzilla movies more powerful than his later Godzilla films. Don't get me wrong, I still really, really enjoy Mothra Vs. Godzilla, King Kong Vs. Godzilla, and Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero. However, I find Frankenstein Conquers the World, The Human Vapor, The Mysterians, and Rodan to be much stronger points in his career.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

TOMG is my favorite Godzilla film, but I know Gojira is the better film.
And I agree with the other members, I want to see some of his non-science fiction movies.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

It's easier to talk about someone who wasn't very good. Then to discuss someone who was one of the best.

I love Honda's ability to give dignity and class to some incredibly whack-o material. IE; King Kong Escapes, which would've been a lot goofier in the hands of, say, Mr. Fukuda (and hey, maybe it would've been more appropriate under his direction). It's a film adaptation of a cartoon and yet it doesn't betray that origin while staying as sincere as Mothra.

That's probably my favorite aspects of Hondas direction.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Pretty much what TV said. All G-fans can pretty much agree that Honda was a fantastic director and that doesn't leave much room for discussion. Hell, I probably said the most negative thing about him in this thread, but it's masked by praise for his non-Godzilla films.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

His best Godzilla film is Gojira of course. My personal favorite film however is either Terror of Mechagodzilla or Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Ok, who voted for All Monsters Attack? C'mon, show yourself.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Tyler wrote:
Chris55 wrote:I don't think he could film a human fight though. Check out the beach fight in Atragon. Yeesh.
I don't think he was ever comfortable with violence.
He was a pacifist.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Gib money.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Tyler wrote:
Chris55 wrote:I don't think he could film a human fight though. Check out the beach fight in Atragon. Yeesh.
I don't think he was ever comfortable with violence.
Yeah, kind of like how we don't actually see how Ogata gets his head wound while fighting with Serizawa in Godzilla.

By the way, we're up to two pages now. Happy, Legion? :P

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Tyler wrote:
DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:Yeah, kind of like how we don't actually see how Ogata gets his head wound while fighting with Serizawa in Godzilla.
Or how the Ichiro vs. Gabara fight in All Monsters Attack is in those weird still images.
Working with kids can be difficult enough. Making a fight scene could've been even harder to fake.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Anyone else thinks Honda is underrated?
I imagine he is quite unsung.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

I don't think Honda is underrated. Most of his films are very good and are universally acclaim by critics and fanbases alike.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I feel like Honda is hardly talk about or mention in most film debates. I hardly see him mention as people's favorite director.
Remeber, we live in the Americas.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Tyler wrote:I think more people have seen his films that we'd like to believe, they just didn't recognize them as Honda films.
Well, if your talking about Godzilla then yes. But for non-Godzilla films, probably not.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I feel like Honda is hardly talk about or mention in most film debates. I hardly see him mention as people's favorite director.
Probably because most of the films that he directed that get exposure in America were Kaiju films, and generally most critics or film historians are not going to praise those type of films (other than the scholars who work exclusively in researching/analyzing the genre such as August Ragon). Simply put, these type of movies don't generally attract serious critical analysis.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Yeah, Battle in Outer Space wasn't that great. I mean it had a great beginning, but the middle really dragged on. The ending though was great. Still have mixed feelings on the film.