Ishiro Honda, 1911 - 1993

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What are your favorite Honda films?

Godzilla (1954)
28%
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
5%
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
16%
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
10%
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
10%
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
7%
All Monsters Attack (1969)
1%
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
14%
Other (specify)
7%

Total votes: 135

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Ishiro Honda

Post by Goji »

Sadly, you're right for the most part. With the exception of THE MYSTERIANS, YOG, and GORATH, none of them really did. And even then, they were just the U.S. versions on ugly, faded pan and scan EP VHS tapes. I didn't get a chance to see ATRAGON or MATANGO until the DVD releases.

I still find it odd that both KING KONG ESCAPES and FRANKENSTEIN VS. BARAGON both eluded VHS releases in the U.S.. I had to tape KKE off Sci-Fi back in the 90's, and FvB I had to settle for a Toho VHS that wasn't even subtitled.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

ORIGNAL: SuperSaiyan4Godzilla Ha.

Anyway:

I'mma propose an idea about why Honda isnt that well-discussed and I may get hell for it. Could it be that Ishiro Honda isn't as great of a director as we make him out to be? I've only seen his monster films, however. I cant comment that much on his other works. I'm just suggesting.
Speaking for myself, I think Ishiro Honda is a great director. I personally don't see how he's a bad director. Granted he wasn't like Akira Kurosawa, making the films he wanted to make, but still in general his movies are very good, and I like how the stories in his movies are treated as if its real. He may have some not-so-great (who doesn't), but even with those, he makes the most out of his films.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Even though it's still a sci-fi film, I think The Human Vapor proves that Ishiro Honda was a freaking genius.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I feel like Honda is hardly talk about or mention in most film debates. I hardly see him mention as people's favorite director.
Probably because most of the films that he directed that get exposure in America were Kaiju films, and generally most critics or film historians are not going to praise those type of films (other than the scholars who work exclusively in researching/analyzing the genre such as August Ragon). Simply put, these type of movies don't generally attract serious critical analysis.
Ha.

Anyway:

I'mma propose an idea about why Honda isnt that well-discussed and I may get hell for it. Could it be that Ishiro Honda isn't as great of a director as we make him out to be? I've only seen his monster films, however. I cant comment that much on his other works. I'm just suggesting.
I don't see what is so funny about any of the things you highlighted, other then I misspelled Ragone's last name.

Honda is considered a great director because he has directed some of the best Godzilla/Kaiju movies. If he directed good movies, how could you say he was a bad director?

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Honda is considered a great director because he has directed some of the best Godzilla/Kaiju movies. If he directed good movies, how could you say he was a bad director?
Question is bold, answer is underlined

SS4G is simply making the assertion we love him for creating some of the Japanese Sci-Fi films that the current cult following we're in, was formed around. Therefore it's possible we have a heavy bias towards considering him a genius. Much the same way a comic book fan may love Stan Lee more than say, an English Professor might.

I don't quite agree with him, but he does make sense.
Gojira, Rodan, Mothra, Mothra vs Godzilla, Atragon, Ghidrah, Monster Zero, Frankenstein Conquers the World, Gargantuas and Destroy all Monsters have always been favorite and well known Toho films. They probably wouldn't be so fondly remembered if Honda wasn't such a good director.
Case and point, very few people outside the fandom give a shit about any of these films sans Gojira (maybe)

Where as Kurosawa is typically respected by film critics the world over
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Crocodile wrote:

Quote:

Question is bold, answer is underlined

SS4G is simply making the assertion we love him for creating some of the Japanese Sci-Fi films that the current cult following we're in, was formed around. Therefore it's possible we have a heavy bias towards considering him a genius. Much the same way a comic book fan may love Stan Lee more than say, an English Professor might.

I don't quite agree with him, but he does make sense.
Rotten Tomatoes Critic Score:

Gojira - 93%
Rodan - 71%
Mothra - 70%
King Kong Vs. Godzilla - 36%
Mothra Vs. Godzilla - 89%
All Monsters Attack - 33%

Generally his films got fairly good review from mainstream american critics if Rotten Tomatoes is to be trusted.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

^What about Destroy All Monsters?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Showa Gyaos wrote:^What about Destroy All Monsters?
Doesn't have enough reviews, along with some other Godzilla films from Honda.

Oh, and apparently Roger Egbert reviewed Godzilla's Revenge:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzillas-revenge/

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Someone should translate the Japanese reviews for Toho's special effects films...

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Gojira-Fan wrote:Rotten Tomatoes Critic Score:

Gojira - 93%
Rodan - 71%
Mothra - 70%

Generally his films got fairly good review from mainstream american critics if Rotten Tomatoes is to be trusted.
Rodan - 7 reviews
Mothra- 10 reviews
KKvG - 11 reviews
Mothra vs Godzilla - 9 reviews
All Monsters Attack-Perfectly valid as it sucked anyways

RT works on a Percentage based upon the number reviews sent, it isn't hard to maintain a high percentage when barely anyone submits reviews Goji. I love these films, I do. Except All Monsters Attack it can suck it. However RT, not trustworthy for Godzilla movies, the consensus is drawn from too small a number of critics. Except Gojira that one's score is legit
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Crocodile wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:Rotten Tomatoes Critic Score:

Gojira - 93%
Rodan - 71%
Mothra - 70%

Rodan - 7 reviews
Mothra- 10 reviews
KKvG - 11 reviews
Mothra vs Godzilla - 9 reviews
All Monsters Attack-Perfectly valid as it sucked anyways

RT works on a Percentage based upon the number reviews sent, it isn't hard to maintain a high percentage when barely anyone submits reviews Goji. I love these films, I do. Except All Monsters Attack it can suck it. However RT, not trustworthy for Godzilla movies, the consensus is drawn from too small a number of critics. Except Gojira that one's score is legit
Well, I think that has more to do with most mainstream critics not reviewing his movies. Granted, I really can't think of a better way of seeing what critics have thought of Honda's work other than RT.

Crocodile
Gotengo Officer

Post by Crocodile »

Well, I think that has more to do with most mainstream critics not reviewing his movies
Reading into that thought, we can only infer mainstream critics simply don't care about Honda enough to pay him anymind
Tik Tock, Tik Tock

Riders > Ponies

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

I don't really read reviews. I like using my own judgement if I want to see a certain TV show or film. Not that there's anything with critics, but I enjoy a film or show a lot better that way.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Re: Ishiro Honda, 1911 - 1993

Post by GalacticPetey »

Is Gorath available on the states?
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ I don't think so. :(

I gave my votes for Gojira, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Invasion of Astro-Monster, and Mothra. I really need to give his non-Godzilla sci-fi films another watch, though - and I have yet to see Gorath or The Human Vapor (much less his "normal" movies).

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

If only Godzilla 14 came to this thread before posting... The Gigan Suit! :freak:
OT: My votes are Gojira, Mothra vs. Godzilla and King Kong vs. Godzilla.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

My top 5:

1. Godzilla
2. Mothra
3. Matango
4. Mothra vs. Godzilla
5. Atragon

He might just be my favorite movie director, just narrowly beating Spielberg.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

War of the Gargantuas( aka Frankenstein's Monsters: Gaira vs Sanda )

One of Honda's BEST, IMO, and Godzilla is nowhere to be seen. Proof that you didn't have to have Big G on board, to make a GOOD daikaiju movie. Doubt it will happen, but I'd love to see a sequel or re-make of this flick with modern suit acting & some CGI enhancement.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

My favorite is Matango. Easily.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

I love so much of his work, but i think Gojira and Atragon have to be his greatest.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147