Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

Post by Arrow »

Minilla... one of the most controversial monsters makes his debut here, alongside some impressively done Kamacuras and Kumonga creatures.

Discuss!

Gamera216
Ronin

Re: Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

Post by Gamera216 »

This film in my opinion is probably one of the worse but it does show a very unique plot where Godzilla is having to defend his son from the kamacuras and Kumonga. How ever even though i own this movie i think it's a movie that is not really worth the time to be watched over and over again such as Godzilla vs Mothra is.
He'll Come... Gamera will come again

Gamera216
Ronin

Post by Gamera216 »

Well i was talking about the 64 GvsM and i'm not saying this is a bad film i'm just saying it has it's flaws and i'm really not a huge fan of this one
He'll Come... Gamera will come again

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Legion1979 wrote:a great soundtrack,
In terms of soundtracks reinforcing the tone of the film, this is one of the best examples in the entire series. Nothing about this film takes itself too seriously, which is where its succes is. It does an excellent job of keeping the tropical island flavor from Ebirah.
bleep bloop

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Legionmaster wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:a great soundtrack,
In terms of soundtracks reinforcing the tone of the film, this is one of the best examples in the entire series. Nothing about this film takes itself too seriously, which is where its succes is. It does an excellent job of keeping the tropical island flavor from Ebirah.
Absolutely agreed. It's my second favorite score from Sato in his entire career. I enjoy this film a lot, and for years it was severely unappreciated. The acting is solid, the setting is exotic, and the pacing never lets up. Kamacuras and Kumonga may not be that creative and Godzilla's suit may be extremely butt-ugly, but the film has oodles of charm to make up for those faults. It's not my favorite Fukuda film, but it proves once again that he had the talent to direct these films as well.

Definitely worth checking out.

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Son of Godzilla is way too underrated. I'll admit that the Godzilla and Minilla suits look bad, but the Kamacuras and Kumonga props blow their Final Wars counterparts out of the water. It's amazing to think what Tsuburaya's team accomplished back then. Masaru Sato's score is really enjoyable to listen to and is definitely one of the best Godzilla soundtracks out there. It's a really enjoyable movie with a nice ending.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I really enjoy this movie. Not only does it really gives Godzilla character, but it has a surprisingly touching ending too. A very fun flick.
Last edited by HayesAJones on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

It was one of the more enjoyable of the films. Just to watch for some fun. The models look good, especialy when we start to see the more drastic effects of the weather machine or whatever the hell it was. It's not as good as the films before hand (save Godzilla Raids Again) but it is no less fun. Very fun.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

I am one of those fans that will watch this particular film over and over.
The human element in this one is fantastic. The pseudo-science is just too fun to ignore. That awesome MASSIVE weather altering machine and all.
Akihiko Hirata's character Fujisaki is too cool. Though probably not the biggest character in this film he does a nice solid role as Dr. Kusumi's (Tadao Takashima) right hand man.
Furukawa (Yoshio Tsuchiya) was great as the one who was so utterly sick of being stuck (likely trapped in his mind) on the island that he was just too much fun. Especially when he got sick and started going off the deep end.
Goro Maki (Akira Kubo) the persistent and tenacious reporter was a great role as well. He actually made himself very useful to Dr. Kusumi, above and beyond his original purpose for being there.
The ever pretty Riko Matsumiya's (Bibari Maeda) role in this film was a good one. She was a pretty strong and tough female lead (well... only female), who was also pretty resourceful.
When I was a lot younger, I used to think that Riko (Bibari Maeda) was the same character and female lead in GvE/GvSM of Daiyo (Kumi Mizuno). So for the longest time (Til I actually paid attention) I thought she was an Infant Islander.

Okay... so Minya is the Quasimodo of the Kaiju from the TOHOverse. He still is fun and I liked watching him explore his new world.
Yes... the Godzilla suit wasn't the greatest. But it really wasn't all that bad.
The Kamacuras and Kumonga scenes were awesome. Especially if you get it in its original ratio.
Kumonga was exceptionally cool to see move around and I loved it when Godzilla blasted it and it pulled it's legs in like a real spider would. Great bit that!
In the Japanese version of SoG that I have. There is a great bit at the beginning of the film with Godzilla heading towards the island (obviously being called in some manner by Minya). It was a surprise for me when I first watched/saw it, because I did not know it existed.

Again... Good movie, Great human element, cool Kaiju battles and just a heart wrenching ending.

G7

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

It's a fun movie but it's not Godzilla's finest hour. Minilla's better in here than he is in Godzilla's Revenge and the Kamacuras and Kumonga were pretty interesting opponents, although I vastly prefer Kumonga.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

One of my favorites. An engaging human element, great scenary, top notch sfx, appropriate music and Godzilla defending his son with one eye in a raging blizzard from a giant spider? Badass.

and I like Minya. I think he works as a close relative of Godzillas species. His personality and apparent albinism let him be his own character, as opposed to just a smaller version of his reluctant father.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

As a kid, I did not like this film. Godzilla looks really stupid, I wasn't interested in the human element, and I found Minya to be annoying. But, I recently rewatched the film (about a month and a half ago) and now I think its pretty damn good. The plot is fun and engaging, the human characters are great to watch and Minya is still kind of annoying, but its understandable for me now. Plus, the score is different from most Godzilla films, yet so much fun to listen to. Also, the fights aren't that bad, but great either. However, I still think Godzilla still looks stupid (Worst. Godzilla. Suit. Ever.).

Overall, its moved up in my book since I was a kid. Its a great entry in the series, but it does have some flaws. Though, I'd still take Son Of Godzilla over most of the Heisei and Millennium films.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I've already spoke of my distaste for Godzilla offspring in any situation. To get this review a going it is far from one of my favorites due to Minya. There is only so much i can handle in the Godzilla Universe but when this thing looks like Molded-Turd an sounds like a Donkey it really leave's itself with a bad taste in my mouth.

Didn't care for the people in this film, Probably has one of the worst Godzilla suit's in the entire franchise. Whoever made it should be beaten repeatedly until it can make a reasonable excuse for that. Obviously there isn't many positive thing's i can say about this film so ill stop here an just say if you can enjoy it then wonderful unfortunately i could not.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I find it somewhat sad that this film is still neglected while All Monsters Attack seems to be getting a generous "second look".

For me, this is a great kids movie and one that is so ingrained with nostalgia that I tend to smile ear to ear while watching it, and view it quite often as well. The island adventure theme is just great, a fun premise helped along with a fantastic score from Masaru Sato and great pacing from Fukuda. The insect props are excellent, although the Godzilla suit is quite bad, and while the characters aren't fleshed out they still make for an interesting dynamic on their own.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Legion1979 wrote:
Arbok wrote:I find it somewhat sad that this film is still neglected while All Monsters Attack seems to be getting a generous "second look".
I don't see a lot of people trash Son of Godzilla much anymore to be honest. And the complaints I continue to see (namely the ugly Godzilla suit) I completely agree with.
Well the very second post in this thread was from someone who said it was "one of the worst"... I will agree that generally opinion of the film has favored, but mostly I was talking about the fact that its neglected in terms of support. Most people aren't up for trashing it, as you say, but the film doesn't seem to get many vocal supporters either.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

Arbok wrote:I find it somewhat sad that this film is still neglected while All Monsters Attack seems to be getting a generous "second look".

For me, this is a great kids movie and one that is so ingrained with nostalgia that I tend to smile ear to ear while watching it, and view it quite often as well. The island adventure theme is just great, a fun premise helped along with a fantastic score from Masaru Sato and great pacing from Fukuda. The insect props are excellent, although the Godzilla suit is quite bad, and while the characters aren't fleshed out they still make for an interesting dynamic on their own.
Agree with this. "Son of Godzilla" is almost the Disney Godzilla (in a good way), but still has all the makings of a great monster flick. Sure, Godzilla looks pretty frog-like in this movie, but I'd almost go as far to say that it works for this film (and ONLY this film). Just a great movie from Toho's golden period for monster films (up until Destroy All Monsters).

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Son of Godzilla

Post by Killswitch »

Anybody catch Son of Godzilla on RTV last night? Everytime I watch that movie, the same things stick inside my head.
1.) That Godzilla suit was the worst! Especially that ugly head!
2.) Godzilla seemed pretty weak. His atomic beam was weak as well. There were times when Minya's atomic beam had more of an effect on Kumonga than Godzilla's.
3.) Minya. Yes, I know a lot of you think he's cute, but his design was horrible. Doesn't look like Godzilla and doesn't sound like Godzilla either.
They couldn't design a mini Godzilla suit? Whats with that?
4.) I thought the other monster suits/designs were nice.
5.) The movie still had that classic 60's Showa style, that I like so much.
6.) Cute film, underrated IMO, but at the same time too silly, and it was awful seeing the King of the Monsters in that kind of a role.
7.) Had they made that film serious, it would of been great. I would like to see a reboot. But, drop the cute kiddie stuff.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

You know I originaly thought the Godzilla suit was really ugly but I've actualy grown to love this suit it's probably in my top 5 now. The face really isn't all that bad and personaly of all the showa suits this Godzilla has my favorite spikes.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Arbok wrote:..a fun premise helped along with a fantastic score from Masaru Sato...
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but some of Sato's SON OF GODZILLA score can be heard in the English version of THE CURIOUS DR. HUMPP...and does anyone else recall that for years the TV Guide listing for GODZILLA'S REVENGE was actually describing SON OF GODZILLA?

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Godzilla, channeling Homer Simpson, decides to give up the persona of Walking H-Bomb for the sake of being the father to the baby from the 90's TV series Dinosaurs. Human characters have little adventures on the island that only take away from the good stuff, i.e. the oddly-entertaining father-son dynamic. The touching ending almost forgives the rather slow and uneventful movie that preceeded it, but all of the other good scenes made it to All Monsters Attack.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!