Who should have won?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

The winner should have been...

Total votes: 0

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Who should have won?

Post by Goji »

^ Agreed. I don't see anything wrong with Godzilla losing his first few battles (sans Anguirus of course), but some people just can't get over it. I know there are some on this board that "hate" both MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA and KKvsG based solely on the fact that Godzilla loses in both films, and not on the quality of the films themselves.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mr. Clean
Yojimbo

Post by Mr. Clean »

Some people seem to forget that Godzilla was the antagonist of the film. Naturally, the "good guy" Kong, who was the underdog (and who was really just the lesser of two evils in the film) had to triumph against the more powerful opponent. Plus, Kong was the true preceder to Godzilla, so it was just class to have him win.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Kong, being the father of the genre (and therefore Godzilla himself), absolutely deserves this win. Glad to see other fans agree.
Haters gonna hate

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I like the fact that Kong won. It's almost like Toho was giving him props for sparking the genre and inspiring their own monster. And this is coming from someone who is much more of a Godzilla fan than a Kong fan.
Last edited by HayesAJones on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

NSZ wrote:And god dammit, people need to stop giving Kong credit for starting the genre. The Lost World had a Brontosaurus tearing up London in 1925
I'd say that the brontosaurus is more of the grandfather of the genre. It may have been the first, but I'm pretty sure that it was Kong that made monster movies popular.

But I guess it is fair to say Kong didn't start the genre.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Kong won and I'm fine with it since Godzilla only been in two movies at the time. If there was a re-match later on in the Showa movies then Godzilla would win since he got much more stronger later on in the films.
Well, Kong was only in two movies at the time too.

Kong deserved to win. I rewatched the film yesterday and it just felt more natural than imagining Godzilla winning the fight. It would've actually been a downer ending considering Kong was the more audience-friendly kaiju at the time.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Kong won and I'm fine with it since Godzilla only been in two movies at the time. If there was a re-match later on in the Showa movies then Godzilla would win since he got much more stronger later on in the films.
Well, Kong was only in two movies at the time too.

Kong deserved to win. I rewatched the film yesterday and it just felt more natural than imagining Godzilla winning the fight. It would've actually been a downer ending considering Kong was the more audience-friendly kaiju at the time.
Well, one really. He never really appeared in Son of Kong, did he? Been awhile since I've watched it.

If you include Kong in Edo, though...he has two under his belt.
Ah, touche. Then again, the son of Kong is another Kong, and the Godzilla in GRA is another Godzilla.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Godzilla should have won, but I liked how the underdog (Kong) pulled it off. It's like Rocky Vs Drago or Clubber Lang :P
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I have always believed that Godzilla should have defeated King Kong, simply because I've never cared about the giant ape as much as I have the true "King of the Monsters."
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

this ^
Godzilla would have won. Always considered the ending a draw myself with Godzilla being buried under
the landslide and KK swimming home.

gojimantis
GPN Volunteer

Post by gojimantis »

Bluezilla wrote:this ^
Godzilla would have won. Always considered the ending a draw myself with Godzilla being buried under
the landslide and KK swimming home.
it's possible Godzilla got the upper hand underwater and sent King Kong packing back to Faro Island.
He could have been swimming around and gotten knocked out just the same by something else, washing up in the next film.
i look at it this way, the first time they meet
Godzilla wins, but Kong realizes he can use his ability to reason and out thing Godzilla and overcome him at the last second. They are both iconic, and it was a brilliant idea to put them both together, it had to end one way or the other.
You have your fear which might become reality. And you have Godzilla, which *is* reality.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I wish they would have explained how Kong got so darn big...

Anyways, I still would have liked to see Godzilla poke his head out of the water at the very end of the movie when Kong is swimming into the distant horizon.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I always thought there was a connection between the two Kongs...I guess not.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

It would have been funny if Kong was suddenly jerked underwater at the last second and a beam erupted out of the water, signaling Godzilla was the true victor. :D

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I enjoy the ambiguous ending. It gives the impression of equality between the two classic monsters.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dynomy84
EDF Instructor

Post by Dynomy84 »

I would be happier with a tie, but either way, Kong deserved the win. At the time, he was a hero, and Godzilla was the antagonist.
Dynomy
If all else fails, eat pudding. Pudding never fails!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Looking at it totally unbiased, I would truly say it was a draw (and no I am not one of those fans, I know Godzilla lost in Mothra vs Godzilla, that is obvious). But at the end King Kong surfaced, Godzilla can stay under water for long periods of time, there was no sign he was unconscious or dead or whatever... however that is just looking at the film itself. If somone can show me proof from a Toho publication that basically says "King Kong was victorious in KK vs G" then I will accept it, no problem.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

Dynomy84 wrote:I would be happier with a tie, but either way, Kong deserved the win. At the time, he was a hero, and Godzilla was the antagonist.
Kong was not a hero, in this film or his own.
Tyler wrote:Movies don't work that way. There's dramatic tension involved. You can't ignore plot points, what's said and done by the characters just to make sense out of whatever you think is wrong about it.
Ignoring the plot is what this movie itself does. Throughout the entire film, Kong is presented as being cowardly and far weaker than Godzilla. Kong pusses out and runs away when the monsters first meet. Kong is defeated by fruit. Kong is tossed at Godzilla, like a dog tossed at a grizzly, and predictably gets beaten into the ground. And then magic lightning strikes him, then he flails around and kind of falls on his opponent, then he hauls ass out of there again.

I have no problem with Godzilla losing a fight. The Mothra larva bring him down the very next film; they're even less physically intimidating than Kong, but they really are heroic and prevail through teamwork and an unconventional assault. King Kong vs. Godzilla is Craven Pantie-stealing Evil vs. Badass City-annihilating Evil, but everyone has to be a winner since it's an inter-company crossover, and the only way the writers could think of to achieve even rough parity was through a deus ex so arbitrary it makes Monster Zero's lady alarm look like masterful plotting.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Craven Pantie-Stealing Evil :shock:

That's just too funny!!

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I thought I was done reading this shit years ago.
Ignoring the plot is what this movie itself does. Throughout the entire film, Kong is presented as being cowardly and far weaker than Godzilla. Kong pusses out and runs away when the monsters first meet.
He gets struck by a heat ray in a one-on-one confrontation against an enemy who had higher ground. And of course Kong is weaker, he's the underdog. That's partially the point. It's called Dramatic Tension

Kong is defeated by fruit.
Monsters being defeated by getting drunk is a relatively common trope throughout Japanese mythology. I see nothing wrong with it here. Dumbing it down the way you have is no different then saying "GOJIRA WAS BEAT BY BUBBLES HAHA WHAT A LAME-O"
Kong is tossed at Godzilla, like a dog tossed at a grizzly, and predictably gets beaten into the ground.
Kong sees his opponent and starts trying to break free from the wires before they just detonate them. Unless I misinterpreted the scene and he was just trying to run away and hide behind a cloud. Just because you vaguely glossed over what happened doesn't mean you're accurate or even right. Kong hides, sneaks up on Godzilla, duck and rolls, jams trees down his throat; he's makes up for his lack of brute strength by fighting smarter.
then he flails around and kind of falls on his opponent, then he hauls ass out of there again.
Most of your analysis is just you spinning what happened in a way where you look right. Here, lemme try;

and those stupid Caterpillars didn't do shit all. All they did was wriggle around and use that bullshit web-spray. That was lame. all they did was hide the whole time. and then they swam away like little bitches. what a stoopid fight. Godzilla shoulda' won.

Kong won. He fought smarter, got lucky, then pummeled Godzilla into submission. Why else would he wash ashore unconscious underground in the next film? Did the storm beat him up? If so, haha no wonder Kong beat him. What kind of sea monster gets beat up by rain?

Deal with it nerds.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury