Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dust_pan
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs the Sea Monster: Positives and Negatives

Post by Dust_pan »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:As much as I love the film, it does have flaws. Like the sheer amount of coincidences the film has in order to get the story moving, or how some of the comedy doesn't work.
Of course there are heavy flaws in the film, such as the nearly one-dimensional characters and the deus ex machinas.

I just didn't list any negatives because there isn't anything I actually dislike about it.

EDIT: Kinda like how I enjoyed Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla, even though it was one of the shittiest films of the entire series.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

^ or randomness of the Giant Condor. What kind of a plot device was that :eh:
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Dust_pan wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:As much as I love the film, it does have flaws. Like the sheer amount of coincidences the film has in order to get the story moving, or how some of the comedy doesn't work.
Of course there are heavy flaws in the film, such as the nearly one-dimensional characters and the deus ex machinas.

I just didn't list any negatives because there isn't anything I actually dislike about it.
I don't know about you, but I didn't find the characters to be one-dimensional at all. Most, if not all, were fleshed about and seemed like realistic people to me. Most had one track minds, but that doesn't make the characters one-dimensional. If anything, Ebirah, Horror Of The Deep has the most well-rounded cast of characters in any Godzilla film.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

The Red Bamboo commanders were fairly stereotypical
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Dust_pan wrote:

I don't know about you, but I didn't find the characters to be one-dimensional at all. Most, if not all, were fleshed about and seemed like realistic people to me. Most had one track minds, but that doesn't make the characters one-dimensional. If anything, Ebirah, Horror Of The Deep has the most well-rounded cast of characters in any Godzilla film.
I'll have to see the film again to make my final decision on that.

But I didn't see anything particularly great about the characters besides the fact that they didn't have exaggerated personalities, like most films have. Which is definitley another thing I liked about the cast.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Dust_pan wrote: I'll have to see the film again to make my final decision on that.

But I didn't see anything particularly great about the characters besides the fact that they didn't have exaggerated personalities, like most films have. Which is definitley another thing I liked about the cast.
I believe that this bit from my review of the film best takes care of that:
I wrote:For the acting performances, there are a few solid ones, but others that just get the job done. The performance that sticks out is Akira Takarada as Yoshimura, who appears to be rough and always in charge, but loves doing his job, as he smiles throughout everything. When Yoshimura is introduced on the yacht, Takarada enjoys people finding him, because that’s when he can work best. Another note worthy role is Kumi Mizuno as Dayo, the Infant Island native, which is greatly different from other roles that she has done, especially in the Godzilla series. While she looks beautiful in her island native attire, you can tell that she is trying her best to bring something to the performance. Before she meets with Ryota and the group for the first time, there is a certain ferocity in her eyes, much like a lion about to pounce. However, outside of Takarada and Mizuno, no other performances stick out above the others. That doesn’t mean that they’re bad or mediocre, but that they did what was needed to be done and stuck with it. This is best shown in Toru Watanabe’s performance as Ryota. Toru keeps the same blank and vague expression throughout most of the film, because Ryota knows what he wants, and will not stop until he gets it. Ryota will not be satisfied until he finds Yata, so his performance makes sense, even if Toru offers little. Chotaro Togin and Hideo Sunazuka’s performances as Ichino and Nita, respectively, are standard comic relief, and do a good job for what their characters were meant for, especially Sunazuka, whose face is always hilarious to look at. Toru Ibuki as Yata does what needs to be done, and seems like the kind of guy who would get stranded on far away island and put other people ahead of himself, even if it means not thinking things through.

The characters have some interesting aspects to them, which make these guys one of the main highlights of the film. Yoshimura is the brains behind the main characters, and being the one to get everyone to follow him. Even though he’s a hardened criminal who robbed a bank of four million yen, Yoshimura becomes the character to root for as the film progresses. As previously mentioned, Ryota is bland, but his heart is in the right place, even if it means that he has to drag along three people to find his brother. One of the weirdest characters is Yata, who will rush into a dangerous situation without thinking ahead, which leads to a few hilarious situations, such as running right at Godzilla to save the Infant Island natives. Ichino and Nita provide some decent comedy, even if all the characters offer up some amusing lines or moments. They work off of one another, and seem to make each other better people. Dayo comes across as a bit dense, such as stopping to pick up some wire she likes while evading the Red Bamboo, but is willing to help out her people and friends. As for the villains, they don’t really do all the much except chase the good guys and do evil things, like capture the Infant Island natives and make nuclear weapons. Every character has a different function for the story, and offers something to make the film whole, which is often rare in a daikaiju film.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Bah. What do I know? I haven't seen the movie for a while.

Good review, though. I'm just iffy about whether or not some of the characters were meant to be played out that way, or if that was just a matter of some of the actors/writers not putting much personality into the roles.

Again, I don't think it's a bad thing, as I love it when movies don't exaggerate character traits.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Positives:
Akira Kubo <3 ;)
Ebirah and Godzilla fighting
The unique musical score by Sato
Awesome destruction of Red Bamboo base
Negatives:
Some weak special effects here and there
Lack of screentime for Bamboo leaders

Honestly, I watch this one a lot. It has a lot of re-watch value, and definitely is entertaining. 3.5/5 from me.
Last edited by Kubo on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

I just got finished with this movie, and I'll restate my previous...statement saying that I wonder how anybody would dislike this movie. I can kind of see where the characters can be considered stale, and some stereotypical, but it just doesn't affect me at all.

And KC, Akira Kubo isn't in this movie. ;)
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Whoops...I got mixed up with Son of Godzilla...my bad. :P
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Dust_pan wrote: Kumi Mizuno
Yep. This is one of the few Godzilla movies in which I really cared about the humans. The underwater battle was awesome too. I sure do love this movie. One of my favorite parts is the one someone brought up about entirely random appearance of Ookondru. Just like the random appearances of Oodaku. Love it! Great movie!

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

I remember New York's channel 11 (precursor to the "WB" and the "CW") always had Godzilla marathons. They'd show Godzilla KOM, Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, and a few others. The high point of this marathon was always Sea Monster. It's just so damned entertaining and it only got better when Ebirah and Godzilla started knocking the rock back and forth.

Miss the old days sometimes.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

It's a decent movie. I like the score, I like the characters for the most part, and the human side of the movie in general is better done than most from this period. However, Godzilla's on-camera time is rather brief and towards the end of the movie his eyes are stuck looking up, which is awkward. Ookondru's appearance is random and at least they could've explained his origin briefly like they did with Ebirah even if we do know where it came from.

A perfectly charming film that's got its extremes. People either seem to love it or hate it. Admittedly some of my appreciation comes from having it as one of the films I grew up with as a boy.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

We could have used more Godzilla, no doubt, and the suit looks like shit for part of the film due to water damage. Also the pacing needed tightening (it really drags in a few places) and some of the situations could have been thought out better. Mothra was unneeded. Other than that, this film is boss. It was my first exposure to Godzilla at age two, and left an everlasting impression on me. The best aspect of the movie IMO is the sense of adventure, particularly in the first half. Sony's DVD looks and sounds excellent too, might watch this one tonight..
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Legion1979 wrote:The picture quality on the Sony disc is so amazing the first time I sat down and watched it I was actually a little disturbed at how ghastly the Godzilla suit looked after a while.
Word.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

The positives are the great score, great acting, the island which makes the movie have a relaxing feeling throughout and for the most part, great suits. I can't find any negatives with this movie, it's one of my favorites in the series.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

The score is great - not quite as memorable as Son of Godzilla's, but still just as effective.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Godzilla taunts Ebirah with his own claw.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

VamprisArachne
Monsterland Worker

Post by VamprisArachne »

Love this film :) , it has a nice retro/golden age feel to it, the only negatives i can think of are maybe the obvious kong traits godzilla has

RabidGodzilla
Samurai

Controversial Kaiju #1: Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster

Post by RabidGodzilla »

Hey everyone! This will be an on-going discussion I want to keep going. I like to get the opinions of the people on this forum, because so many of you know so much more about these films than me. In these discussions, I am looking to start a discussion of kaiju films that seem controversial in the community. I will post a brief synopsis for each film, and leave the rest to you!

In this talkback, we will discuss an early Godzilla film, Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (a.k.a Ebirah, Horror of the Deep).

Synopsis:
Some teenagers want to obtain a boat to find a brother. When they look around a boat without permission, they find a thief who takes them on his escape. They are caught in a storm and arrive at Letchi Island where natives of Infant Island have been enslaved by the terrorist organization Red Bamboo. Red Bamboo runs a heavy water factory to process a juice which holds off the monster, Ebirah, which otherwise traps them on the island. The young men meet beautiful but tough Daiyo and wake up Godzilla to put an end to the Red Bamboo.

*NOTE* I will start with controversial Godzilla films. If there is a film that you would like to see discussed, shoot me a PM, or leave it in the thread below! *END NOTE

RG
"Now I am become death....The destroyer of worlds."