Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
H-Man
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Post by H-Man »

I watched this for the first time in years. This time, it was in widescreen and in Japanese with Portuguese subtitles. I think I prefer the dub (the one that was on the Video Treasures VHS) more. The dub implied that Ryota and his two companions were already friends, as opposed to complete strangers who just happen to meet at the dance contest and then go out to the boat. Moreover, I don't think the opening scenes at the police office added much to the overall film.

Still, a great Godzilla movie with a wonderful suit for Ebirah.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

This was probably the Showa movie I watched the most. I was always so fascinated with Ebirah, he was so simple, a giant shrimp. I also liked that Godzilla wasn't exactly a "good guy", he was kinda neutral I think. Just on his own, minding his own business, taking down mooks where ever they be. I also liked the suit used in this one. Despite the "cookie monster" look.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Just watched this again, and my opinion on it changed a bit. The characters (though simple) were fun, there was a lot of eye-candy with the lush landscape, and monsters were all really cool (even Ebirah - who had a really impressive suit).

I have a little fan theory as to why Godzilla acted so Kong-ish towards the Native Girl (Yes, I do know this was gonna be a Kong movie); Beyond this movie, Godzilla pretty quickly became the people's hero against invading monsters; maybe he was acting more affectionate towards her because he didn't view her species as much of a threat anymore?... Or, seeing as he fell asleep pretty much one scene later, maybe he was dozing off and was about to roast her with his breath :lol: .

One question; How old was the Mothra puppet at this point? The thing was definitely showing a lot of wear at this point..

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Nah, I just can't justify any reason for this horrific version of Godzilla. Just no.

You are right though, the characters are great but I hate how the movie goes from being about Ryota and then shifts the focus onto Takarada's character.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Nah, I just can't justify any reason for this horrific version of Godzilla. Just no.
Horrific???? Really? Come on, Kain...

It's not one of the very best, but it's far, far FAR from horrific.

Just because you believe there's only one specific way that Godzilla should be doesn't mean movies that deviate from that are horrid. If I recall, you also think the Son of Godzilla is trash too, right?

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

This might have my favorite human characters of any Godzilla movie. I watched it a year or two ago, and felt like the 50 minute wait till Godzilla wakes up just shot by. I particularly like Takarada's bank robber.

In fact, once Godzilla wakes and starts to take over the movie, I almost wish we had more time with them.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think they have enough screen time after Godzilla wakes. The first half was developing our characters, which is done quite well, and then they continue the group dynamic to the conclusion.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

edgaguirus wrote:I think they have enough screen time after Godzilla wakes. The first half was developing our characters, which is done quite well, and then they continue the group dynamic to the conclusion.
Exactly. By the time Godzilla comes, the plot is already in motion and we already know everything we need to know about who's who.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Legion1979 wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Nah, I just can't justify any reason for this horrific version of Godzilla. Just no.
Horrific???? Really? Come on, Kain...

It's not one of the very best, but it's far, far FAR from horrific.

Just because you believe there's only one specific way that Godzilla should be doesn't mean movies that deviate from that are horrid. If I recall, you also think the Son of Godzilla is trash too, right?
Uh... you haven't watched my reviews, have you?

I like Son of Godzilla. The movie does a great job at what it was aiming for and is a very entertaining movie. I don't like the Godzilla design and persona, but for what they were going for, it works.

The Godzilla in Ebirah though, just makes no freaking sense.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Outside of Godzilla noticing but not attacking Mizuno's character, what exactly does he do that makes no sense? I think people blow this whole "It was supposed to be Kong" thing out of proportion. I don't remember anyone having an issue with Godzilla's character before that became common knowledge.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Legion1979 wrote:Outside of Godzilla noticing but not attacking Mizuno's character, what exactly does he do that makes no sense? I think people blow this whole "It was supposed to be Kong" thing out of proportion. I don't remember anyone having an issue with Godzilla's character before that became common knowledge.
I guess someone could make a case for the scene where they use lightning to wake up Godzilla, seeing as Kong's 'thing' was electrical power, but I just see it as them finding a way to shock him awake (no pun intended)

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Legion1979 wrote:Outside of Godzilla noticing but not attacking Mizuno's character, what exactly does he do that makes no sense? I think people blow this whole "It was supposed to be Kong" thing out of proportion. I don't remember anyone having an issue with Godzilla's character before that became common knowledge.
Godzilla being woken by lightning
Godzilla reluctance to enter the water and battle Ebirah
Godzilla napping (although he does nap a lot in Son of Godzilla too)
Godzilla interest in the female
Ebirah trying to drag Godzilla under the waves and drown him
Godzilla hesitating to jump into the ocean as the island is self destructing

While I still enjoy the film, I think it would have made more sense, and been even better, with King Kong instead of Godzilla.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

szmigiel wrote: Godzilla being woken by lightning

These are the only two things that are similar to Kong. Everything else is kind of reaching.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
szmigiel wrote: Godzilla being woken by lightning

These are the only two things that are similar to Kong. Everything else is kind of reaching.
I was just about to say that. Even the lightning is a stretch, as any monster would probably wake up and be pissed if they were hit by lightening.

As for everything else. I never got the impression that Godzilla was scared to go into the water. As for Ebirah dragging Godzilla underwater, why wouldn't he do that? Underwater Ebirah probably felt he had the home field advantage, not knowing that Godzilla is just as home in the ocean.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Yeah the "Lightning only meant for Kong" thing doesn't really hold up for me.
I mean this Is Toho we're talking about! They're not really known for continuity. Heck,they had Godzilla walk effortlessly through powerlines in one movie. Then have Godzilla become completely afraid of powerlines in another movie.
So i seriously doubt they were thinking the lightning was a way to revisit Kongs abilities.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Actually, I never liked this movie as a kid at all, and Godzilla was part of the reason. I never knew he was supposed to be Kong until about 12 years ago, so that had no effect on my distaste for it. In fact, the only time I ever watched the movie was when TBS aired it because I had no interest in owning it as a kid. It's better than I used to think it was, but I still hate Godzilla in it.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Except for the Daiyo scene, Godzilla's presence doesn't effect things that much. As has been said, any kaiju would react if shocked by lightning, and Godzilla not quickly entering the water isn't that out of character. Daiyo is the only unGodzilla like behavoir ( though I'm sure any male, human or kaiju, would find it hard to resist Mizuno's charms).
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

UltramanGoji wrote:These are the only two things that are similar to Kong. Everything else is kind of reaching.
I maybe reaching a bit, but all these actions always struck me as a bit odd when watching the film, later when I learned it was suppose to be a King Kong film and Godzilla was replaced him, it all made more sense to me. The battles would have more tension if it was Kong, I always thought that Godzilla was equally at home on land and the water. So every time Ebirah dragged him under the water was no biggie, if that was Kong there would be more dramatic tension. But again thats just the way I see it.

I enjoy the movie more for the human story, then the daikaiju. I remember watching it on TV, when I was young, and forgot I was watching a Godzilla movie with the first act setting up the characters getting trapped on the island. However once Godzilla is awaken he is a major focus.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

szmigiel wrote: The battles would have more tension if it was Kong, I always thought that Godzilla was equally at home on land and the water. So every time Ebirah dragged him under the water was no biggie, if that was Kong there would be more dramatic tension. But again thats just the way I see it.
I do agree with that, as there would have been more of a 'threat', but the battles seemed fine even with Godzilla.

Ebirah was much more of a sea monster than Godzilla ever was, so maybe one could say Ebirah pulled Godzilla under because Ebirah was more 'used' to the water and therefore can work better in it, whereas Godzilla is very in-general when it comes to what environment he can work in. 'Jack of all trades, master of none' comes to mind.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Taking Godzilla under was Ebirah's best tactical idea, and it worked for a few moments. Watching the fight, Godzilla seemed to be trying to get the fight out of the water, removing Ebirah from his advantage. Godzilla being amphibious is one secret to his success.